Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poker Player Kevin "Phwap" Boudreau in critical condition.. may not live..

Load Metric

Poker Player Kevin "Phwap" Boudreau in critical condition.. may not live..

ran across intially on twitter feed and did some digging. Apparently the guy collapsed and was rushed to the hospital where it was found he had a huge hematoma (pooling of blood) on his brain. By the sounds of it it was probably an cerebral aneurysm which ruptured, which if true does tend to lead to major permanent neuro damage or death (same thing killed my stepfather in 2008 and his sister in 2012). He's known primary as a high stakes cash player vs tournament player but is well liked among those that know him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That sucks. I guess all anyone can hope for right now is the best.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Those aneurysms are scary.

They can hit anyone at any time, and are often fatal.

I knew someone two years ago (not in poker) who died of one at age 35. One minute they were fine, the next they collapsed and were pronounced braindead shortly thereafter.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Those aneurysms are scary.

They can hit anyone at any time, and are often fatal.

I knew someone two years ago (not in poker) who died of one at age 35. One minute they were fine, the next they collapsed and were pronounced braindead shortly thereafter.
    Yeah, being a relatively healthy 33 year old whose only vice is cannabis smoke, aneurysms are really the only health related thing to really freak me the fuck out.

Heard way to many stories like the ones above... and now I've got a headache.

Load Metric
    get well soon Kevin

did Ron Jeremy live ?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't really worry about aneurysms.

My attitude is that if it gets me, it gets me, and there's not much I can do to stop it (or even know it's coming).

Unlike heart attacks in men over 40 (and especially over 50), aneurysms are relatively rare, so they're not really on my mind. Honestly heart attacks are what really scare me, since I'm over 40 now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

My attitude is that if it gets me, it gets me, and there's not much I can do to stop it (or even know it's coming).
    That is the proper attitude to have with things like this. I mean on any day I could walk outside, slip on a rock, fall awkwardly, crack my head open, and my life could be over. That is just one example and as bad as something like this could be for any of us the fact is that it can happen at any given moment and nobody should worry about stuff like that in life otherwise they are causing unnecessary life stress for something we can't really predict will happen.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The weirdest thing when someone dies (or is incapacitated) from a health problem is to go look at their Twitter and see them acting as if everything is normal, just days beforehand.

It's like you're back a few days in the past and watching them as they don't realize what's coming.

I remember in 2006 when an ex-girlfriend left me a message on my voice mail, sounding (and feeling) jovial and healthy. About 18 hours later, she was gone from a heart attack. I never got to call her back.

Load Metric

I remember in 2006 when an ex-girlfriend left me a message on my voice mail, sounding (and feeling) jovial and healthy. About 18 hours later, she was gone from a heart attack. I never got to call her back.

Load Metric

Unlike heart attacks in men over 40 (and especially over 50), aneurysms are relatively rare, so they're not really on my mind. Honestly heart attacks are what really scare me, since I'm over 40 now.
    Hey Druff. I have heard you mention the fear of heart attacks a few times. I also imagine with your busy schedule and family life it is probably not easy to do a lot of cardio (which goes a long way to prevent heart disease). Most supplements are bullshit but fish oil is not. However, there are different kinds and not all are created equal. I started taking the following fish oil for 6 months and my HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) sky rocketed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fish oil is expensive compared to others but it is a simple thing you can do to help prevent heart disease.

Bronze
    Load Metric

Fear of a Heart Attack is why I gave up Vodka. A few months ago I was on a bender of Grey Goose and when I woke up Sunday morning I literally felt sharp pains running through my body especially my chest. I have a device that attaches to your wrist and my BP was literally 165-120, that is a dangerous spot to be. The following day it dropped to 140 and than the following day I was normal around 125-80.

Outside the occasional Bloody Mary, I am exclusively wine and beer. Basically I have turned my back on the hard stuff. My fear after that episode is if I kept up with the hard stuff one night I would close my eyes and not wake up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

Hey Druff. I have heard you mention the fear of heart attacks a few times. I also imagine with your busy schedule and family life it is probably not easy to do a lot of cardio (which goes a long way to prevent heart disease). Most supplements are bullshit but fish oil is not. However, there are different kinds and not all are created equal. I started taking the following fish oil for 6 months and my HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) sky rocketed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fish oil is expensive compared to others but it is a simple thing you can do to help prevent heart disease.
    Fish oil helps with alot of things, but the most recent research says it doesnt have much affect on the heart. Make sure to take a fish oil thats free of Mercury. The new trend now is to get your epa, and dha from algae based products.

Why take algae-derived supplements instead of fish or fish oil?
    Fish is an unfavorable source of DHA and EPA because most fatty fish contain harmful pollutants, such as dioxin and mercury. People also report difficulty digesting fish oils because of the fishy taste and foul odor. The bad taste, indigestion, and burping from these oils do not feel healthy. Purified fish oils are an option, but our oceans are in crisis. The claims about fish benefiting heart health have increased the demand for both fish and fish oils, and this demand cannot be met by the world's current supply. In 2003, it was estimated that the world’s large predatory fish populations had declined 90% since the 1950s. 15 Farmed fish are also problematic – they are fed a diet of smaller, wild fish, driving wild fish stocks down and adding chemicals and pollutants to local waters.16 Algae-based DHA+EPA Purity is a more sustainable option, and it is free of the environmental pollutants that accumulate in the fatty tissues of fish.

Also their finding cholesterol numbers and heart attacks mean nothing. I used to try and get my numbers better but all the research shows most people that have heart attacks actually have whats considered good or normal chl numbers.

Also keep in mind to check your lipoprotein a levels. It's hereditary and not much you can do if your numbers are bad. You can eat salads for every meal the rest of your life and still die of a heart attack.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    All this talk of worrying about getting a heart attack is enough to give anyone a coronary.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post

Fish oil helps with alot of things, but the most recent research says it doesnt have much affect on the heart. Make sure to take a fish oil thats free of Mercury. The new trend now is to get your epa, and dha from algae based products.

Why take algae-derived supplements instead of fish or fish oil?
    Fish is an unfavorable source of DHA and EPA because most fatty fish contain harmful pollutants, such as dioxin and mercury. People also report difficulty digesting fish oils because of the fishy taste and foul odor. The bad taste, indigestion, and burping from these oils do not feel healthy. Purified fish oils are an option, but our oceans are in crisis. The claims about fish benefiting heart health have increased the demand for both fish and fish oils, and this demand cannot be met by the world's current supply. In 2003, it was estimated that the world’s large predatory fish populations had declined 90% since the 1950s. 15 Farmed fish are also problematic – they are fed a diet of smaller, wild fish, driving wild fish stocks down and adding chemicals and pollutants to local waters.16 Algae-based DHA+EPA Purity is a more sustainable option, and it is free of the environmental pollutants that accumulate in the fatty tissues of fish.

Also their finding cholesterol numbers and heart attacks mean nothing. I used to try and get my numbers better but all the research shows most people that have heart attacks actually have whats considered good or normal chl numbers.

Also keep in mind to check your lipoprotein a levels. It's hereditary and not much you can do if your numbers are bad. You can eat salads for every meal the rest of your life and still die of a heart attack.
    You are right that cholesterol numbers dont necessary provide a good barometer for chances of a heart attack. I forget what the percentage was but some ridiculous amount of people that had normal levels had heart attacks. However, with that said it would be foolish to think that dramatically increasing HDL while keeping LDL low isnt going to help. For example, I went from an HDL of 35 to one of 55. The only thing I changed was taking fish oil.

Re: lipoproteins

This is by far the most important test to find out your risk for heart disease. It is a shame most doctors dont give it (and many dont even know wtf it is). As you stated, if you do have problems with lipoprotein levels due to hereditary issues there isnt much you can do except be put on a statin.

Load Metric
    My grandfather never smoked, rarely. Drank, and played tennis everyday since he was 15. He had a heart attack while playing tennis and died at 52. So I guess it can happen to anyone not just out of shape fatties or drinkers/smokers

Comments

ftpjesus: Dont forget about that famous runner Jim Fixx who dropped dead while running I think it was in NYC of all places

Load Metric

One other thing is while statins are great drugs overall they do in fact strip co Q-10 which is a protective nutrient for the heart so anybody on statins should be taking them for sure and hell even if your not on statins they do seem to lower the CRP blood levels in people as a general rule.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Any update on this guy?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    My grandfather never smoked, rarely. Drank, and played tennis everyday since he was 15. He had a heart attack while playing tennis and died at 52. So I guess it can happen to anyone not just out of shape fatties or drinkers/smokers
    yah that is crazy. One of my friends dad was in great shape his entire life. He set his high schools record for sit-ups(like 7k or some shit, I can't remember),and always ran and worked out. Oh, and he never drank or smoked either. Well he had a quadruple bypass at the age of like 52. I think it has more to do with stress and being able to manage your anger because he would flip the fuck out all the time. 2 weeks after the bypass surgery he was water skiing. lol

Load Metric
    Any update on this guy?
    still in the hospital in an induced coma he has a "large" blood clot in his brain

follow Peter Jetten on twitter for updates

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    yah that is crazy. One of my friends dad was in great shape his entire life. He set his high schools record for sit-ups(like 7k or some shit, I can't remember),and always ran and worked out. Oh, and he never drank or smoked either. Well he had a quadruple bypass at the age of like 52. I think it has more to do with stress and being able to manage your anger because he would flip the fuck out all the time. 2 weeks after the bypass surgery he was water skiing. lol
    Genes play a big role.

As Shady J said above, the lipoprotein test is huge and everyone over 30 should get it.

Thread Information