Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Kidd goes from future HOF player to Head Coach in a matter of weeks.

Load Metric

Jason Kidd goes from future HOF player to Head Coach in a matter of weeks.

Just announced within the last half hour that Jason Kidd who just retired within the last couple weeks will be the new HEAD coach of the Brooklyn Nets. The hiring will be formally announced at a Press Conference tomorrow at 2pm at the Barclay's Center. Apparently former Nets HC Lawrence Frank will be Lead Assistant to make up for Kidd's lack of experience running the show.

Comments

big dick: fucking ballwasher

Ryback_feed_me_more: Jason Kidds a hell of a player and floor general. As for you big dick your a troll go back under your bridge now please before I beat you within an inch of your pathetic I live in mommy's basement life

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Kidd is one of the smartest players ever and will be an excellent coach IMO

Load Metric
    isn't jason kidd a massive douchbag?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    isn't jason kidd a massive douchbag?
    He gives me a very sex offender vibe

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    think he beat his wife a couple times

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Kidd is one of the smartest players ever and will be an excellent coach IMO
    proof

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When you watch a lot of guys on TV you can't appreciate the speed at which they play. I went to a Celtic game when Kidd was playing for the Nets and just couldn't believe how fast this guy could take an in bounds pass and get coast to coast in his offense or find someone for a layup after a made basket on the other end. His speed and vision when he was in his prime was amazing

Load Metric
    This reeks of big time fail.

I don't doubt Kidd's bball IQ or his leadership skills but to jump in head first to a vanilla team with a shit GM and a questionable owner is going to be disastrous.

He has 0.0 coaching experience. There are several extremely qualified candidates on the market. Did any other team even consider hiring Jason Kidd.as their coach?

No.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    This reeks of big time fail.

I don't doubt Kidd's bball IQ or his leadership skills but to jump in head first to a vanilla team with a shit GM and a questionable owner is going to be disastrous.

He has 0.0 coaching experience. There are several extremely qualified candidates on the market. Did any other team even consider hiring Jason Kidd.as their coach?

No.
    agreed...

brian shaw would have been a MUCH better choice at this point in time and it's not even close...

im smelling magic johnson trying to coach the lakers kinda bad...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Kidd will contend for COY, nets will win division barring injury

Load Metric
    i'd bet money my 7yr old nephew is smarter than jason kidd

he's just an ignorant nig

Comments

simpdog: hof

big dick: .

Load Metric
    When you watch a lot of guys on TV you can't appreciate the speed at which they play. I went to a Celtic game when Kidd was playing for the Nets and just couldn't believe how fast this guy could take an in bounds pass and get coast to coast in his offense or find someone for a layup after a made basket on the other end. His speed and vision when he was in his prime was amazing

His bb IQ is 2nd to none. I used to watch him in High School. St Joe's in Alameda.
    He was a man among boys, and even then was always looking to pass first.

I agree w/everything you wrote, but USUALLY, it doesn't make for a good coach.
    This is why you don't see a lot of stars turn into coaches, they can't coach instincts and speed and vision.

But he is smart enough to know this and like Mark Jackson, will surround himself w/ the best assistant coaches he can.

Bird if the only HOF player I can think of that did good coaching, (in a real small sample size).
    Isiah, Bill Russell, Magic fail.

What other HOF players coached?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

His bb IQ is 2nd to none. I used to watch him in High School. St Joe's in Alameda.

This is why you don't see a lot of stars turn into coaches, they can't coach instincts and speed and vision.

But he is smart enough to know this and like Mark Jackson, will surround himself w/ the best assistant coaches he can.

Bird if the only HOF player I can think of that did good coaching, (in a real small sample size).

One thing all those HOF players as coaches have in common is they all coached mediocre teams at best and in some cases like Russell the teams sucked with the exception of the 2 teams he coached and played and won titles with.

Usually takes 2 superstars to win titles in the N.B.A. If Phil Jackson , Red, Riley or a host of other guys with multiple rings tried to coach these teams these HOF had they would have failed too IMO

With the Nets Kidd has some pieces. Darron Williams is a superstar and he should benefit A LOT from Kidd. Brooks Lopez is no slouch and they have some others that can play. I think he is setup fine to move forward and succeed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Jason Kidd has always been considered a smart player and that can sometimes carry over into coaching but seriously to shoot straight up to a head coaching job already????

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    i'd bet money my 7yr old nephew is smarter than jason kidd

he's just an ignorant nig
    HOF

Name:  jason-kidd-2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  18.2 KB

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I had the opportunity to meet Jason Kidd like 10 years ago at the peak of his fame and career for like 5 minutes. When and where is not important. I can say this, he was about the most down to earth and nicest dudes you'd ever meet. He had every opportunity to blow me off and he did not. And it was not a phony routine, he is just a down to earth dude.

Comments

anonamoose: i'm sure he was just in awe by how great you are

big dick: nice story

Load Metric

I agree with your premise that superstars aren't locks to be great coaches, there have been a few all-star-caliber players that have gone on to be decent to good coaches: Wes Unseld, Lenny Wilkins, Tommy Heinsohn, Don Nelson, Mo Cheeks, Phil Jackson (the worst player of this bunch but still a nice role-player), Doc Rivers. I'd say Heinsohn is the best player of that bunch (a Hall of Famer), but Lenny Wilkens and Wes Unseld were great players too. Heinsohn should be in HOF as a player and as a coach imo.

Wikipedia:

As player:
    8× NBA champion (1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965)
    6× NBA All-Star (1957, 1961–1965)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (1957)
    4× All-NBA Second Team (1961–1964)
    Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1956)
    No. 15 Retired by Boston Celtics
    No. 24 Retired by Holy Cross

As coach:
    2× NBA champion (1974, 1976)
    NBA Coach of the Year (1973)

Also, before his stint with the Sonics Russell coached for three years and won two titles in Boston as a player/coach, his overall record is well above .500, and he was just under .500 with the Sonics, so lumping him in with Magic and Isaiah is wrong imo.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric

One thing all those HOF players as coaches have in common is they all coached mediocre teams at best and in some cases like Russell the teams sucked with the exception of the 2 teams he coached and played and won titles with.

Usually takes 2 superstars to win titles in the N.B.A. If Phil Jackson , Red, Riley or a host of other guys with multiple rings tried to coach these teams these HOF had they would have failed too IMO

With the Nets Kidd has some pieces. Darron Williams is a superstar and he should benefit A LOT from Kidd. Brooks Lopez is no slouch and they have some others that can play. I think he is setup fine to move forward and succeed.
    Deron Williams played like an average point guard for the first half of the year. He turned it on for the second half and was bad in the playoffs. Not sure how he warrants the 'superstar' tag anymore. I would probably take seven point guards over him.

Complete LOL that the Nets couldn't beat the severely depleted Bulls. There's severe issues with this team and the roster isn't going to change as they're tied to a litany of shitty contracts, including Deron Williams. Re-signing Billy King as the GM sealed theire fate as a perennial #5 seed for the next few years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Deron Williams played like an average point guard for the first half of the year. He turned it on for the second half and was bad in the playoffs. Not sure how he warrants the 'superstar' tag anymore. I would probably take seven point guards over him.

Complete LOL that the Nets couldn't beat the severely depleted Bulls. There's severe issues with this team and the roster isn't going to change as they're tied to a litany of shitty contracts, including Deron Williams. Re-signing Billy King as the GM sealed theire fate as a perennial #5 seed for the next few years.
    I agree he wasn't his best last year but for the past 4-5 years he has been pretty dominant overall. If he is not a superstar now he is very close and still has a lot of good hoops left.

Load Metric

I agree he wasn't his best last year but for the past 4-5 years he has been pretty dominant overall. If he is not a superstar now he is very close and still has a lot of good hoops left.
    I've noticed that PG's have the highest variance of any position. Other than the John Stockton's of the world, look at the volatility these guys have year to year: Jason Kidd, Mark Price, even a guy like Isiah, who in his prime saw his assists per game vary from 7 to 14. Jason Kidd was extremely consistent with his assist number but his scoring varies from 10 to nearly 18. It's just a really volatile position for stats
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Thread Information