Thread: Well, kiss goodbye the auto Twitter posting here (update: it's working again!)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Well, kiss goodbye the auto Twitter posting here (update: it's working again!)

Twitter decided to finally kill their "hidden" RSS feed, which I was able to use to auto-post to this site based upon a hashtag I'm searching for.

Yesterday at around 3pm, they killed that, and now it's a complex process to access Twitter feeds. I don't have the time to write a mod to do this, so for now you are just going to have to visit my Twitter for WSOP updates.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wellthat sucks balls. Hopefully someone will just copy/paste them onto this site for posterity.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This really got on my nerves over the past week, so I decided to invest the time to do something about it.

Cliffs: I got it working again.

Nerdy computer programming stuff below:

It involved learning about the JSON format, OAuth, and a bunch of other crap.

Like many programming tasks in the past in which I wasn't previously familiar with the material, it required a lot of frustrating trial-and-error.

What happened?

Twitter decided to disable RSS feeds. They officially stopped supporting RSS a long time ago (I think as far back as 2011), but there was a hidden URL to get the Twitter server to still generate RSS feeds for searches. It was easy to take this URL, massage its results into vBulletin, and make the site auto-post to specific threads corresponding with each hashtag.

For example, that's how the system was able to post to the thread "Millionaire Maker Event #6" in the World Series forum, whenever someone used Twitter hashtag #pfa06. It just went to the URL that generated an RSS feed for the search of #pfa06, and took that data to make the post. Pretty easy.

Unfortunately, on June 11, Twitter completely killed that hidden URL, and there was no longer any RSS support.

If you wanted to search Twitter, now you had to "register an application" with Twitter, make an authenticated request, and get it returned through the JSON format. And that's a format vBulletin does not support.

So basically I had to write my own PHP code to do all of the above, PLUS generate my own RSS feed on Twitter's behalf.

At the moment it seems to work.

If you are playing any events at the WSOP and want to tweet with the hashtag to auto-post, please let me know and I will include your event in the World Series of Poker forum: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/for...eries-of-Poker

Thread Information