Thread: Refrigerator Talk -------> Buy Warranty or No?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Refrigerator Talk -------> Buy Warranty or No?

Bought a refrigerator today for $1100, this is it right here only I got the stainless steel one and bought it local.

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FFH.../dp/B0057Z1JAS

Comes with a 1 year warranty then I have an option for like a 2 year full warranty for $85 or a 4 year for like $150 and I have 6 months to decide.

I am leaning towards no but wanted to get some expert opinions. I figure if it shits the bed more than likely it will shit the bed because it comes defected and will happen rather quickly <---------- 4Dragons logic with electronics. If something goes long term it will probably be more than 4 years as fridges tend to last 8-10 years or more in most cases.

Current fridge costed $600 7 years ago and temps in fridge today were 33 in freezer and 50 in main section, ice was building up in the back of the freezer I noticed this past weekend as well and fridge guy tole me if ice was caking up then there was a very high chance a part on the inside was frozen and it would have to be replaced . Rather than call a repair man and get charged for them coming out and fixing it for more I chose to just buy new.

Load Metric
    Refrigerators are kind of like computers.

Chances of them breaking down before you are ready for a new one are really rare.

Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Bought a refrigerator today for $1100, this is it right here only I got the stainless steel one and bought it local.

Comes with a 1 year warranty then I have an option for like a 2 year full warranty for $85 or a 4 year for like $150 and I have 6 months to decide.

I am leaning towards no but wanted to get some expert opinions. I figure if it shits the bed more than likely it will shit the bed because it comes defected and will happen rather quickly <---------- 4Dragons logic with electronics. If something goes long term it will probably be more than 4 years as fridges tend to last 8-10 years or more in most cases.

Current fridge costed $600 7 years ago and temps in fridge today were 33 in freezer and 50 in main section, ice was building up in the back of the freezer I noticed this past weekend as well and fridge guy tole me if ice was caking up then there was a very high chance a part on the inside was frozen and it would have to be replaced . Rather than call a repair man and get charged for them coming out and fixing it for more I chose to just buy new.

These are such a bitch to keep clean. I regret buying my appliances in Stainless steel. Good luck.

And what cmoney said.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Extended warranties are usually a terrible deal.

The only extended warranty I ever consider is for cars, and I only bother with those when the original warranty is ending, and I shop around to third-party warranty companies.

Do not ever buy an extended warranty for your refrigerator, computer, TV, etc.

These are mainly aimed at poor people who would rather pay $100 now to avoid a possible $500 repair bill, even if the chance of needing such a repair is 1-in-20.

Load Metric
    A fridge is called 'durable goods' for a reason. If this thing breaks in the first 2 years that's all you need, then it should be good for 10+ if it didn't. I used to work in an appliance store in sales and it's true what they say about warranties; on most things you don't need them but it's the first thing a sales slag will tell you to add. The worst offenders implement the TO strategy where one sales slag tags in another and refers to him as some kind of manager that then gives you a special deal and they cut the price of the warranty in half 'just to make sure you're taken care of'. On a fridge, just say no on any price. New LCD TV on the other hand might be worth the coin. Replacement warranties on a cell phone come in handy too if you're a clutz.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Beware of cell phone warranties, though. Sometimes they can provide you a refurbished phone instead of a new one. Make sure to ask that before purchasing one.

Also, you really don't need a cell phone warranty or protection plan if you are good about not breaking/losing phones.

I have had cell phones since 1997, and have broken/lost a grand total of two. The last phone I broke (accidentally left it in my swimsuit pocket and jumped in the ocean) was in 2005.

It's also important to note that "phone insurance" typically costs between $6 and $10 per month. That doesn't sound like a lot, but adds up to $72-$120 per year. You are typically entitled to a phone upgrade once every two years, and even expensive phones like iPhones can be upgraded (i.e. you get a new one) for just $199, and as low as $99 if you want an outdated model. That makes the $72-$120 per year seem fairly ridiculous.

It is a mistake to get extended warranties on TVs, even expensive ones, because the overall value of the product decreases rapidly over time. Same thing with computers. Often it simply makes sense to replace the computer or TV rather than fix the old one.

Simply put, extended warranties are always -EV because they make money overall for the company offering it.

You should only purchase insurance/warranties in situations where you absolutely cannot afford a worst-case scenario.

For example, I have health insurance in order to prevent having to pay a $500,000 medical bill if I were to develop a major health problem. I have this insurance despite knowing that it is more likely to cost me more money than it saves in the long run.

I have auto insurance both because it's the law and to prevent the total loss of my expensive car (or high liability if I hurt someone else) due to an accident. Again, we are talking about paying moderate money in order to prevent a loss of big money.

However, these warranties are never saving you from a catastrophic monetary loss, so you should just stay away from them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Extended warranties are usually a terrible deal.

The only extended warranty I ever consider is for cars, and I only bother with those when the original warranty is ending, and I shop around to third-party warranty companies.

Do not ever buy an extended warranty for your refrigerator, computer, TV, etc.

These are mainly aimed at poor people who would rather pay $100 now to avoid a possible $500 repair bill, even if the chance of needing such a repair is 1-in-20.
    all of

I worked at a sporting goods store in high school and would always feel like shit trying to sell warranties on anything from bike pumps to Masterlocks (lol). We would make commission and get ideal shifts for selling a high number of them.

Not sure why but Mexicans were almost always a sure lock to buy warranties.

Load Metric
    The ice buildup is likely due to a bad seal around the door. (or your cat leaving it open over night) Likely all it needed was for you to unplug it for a couple days. Let the ice melt. Make sure the seal is good and plug it back in. Easy and Cheap to fix. Warranties are for suckers. Use Consumer Reports and buy the right appliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    That depends, is your refrigerator running?

Comments

lewfather: badumtsh
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    The ice buildup is likely due to a bad seal around the door. (or your cat leaving it open over night) Likely all it needed was for you to unplug it for a couple days. Let the ice melt. Make sure the seal is good and plug it back in. Easy and Cheap to fix. Warranties are for suckers. Use Consumer Reports and buy the right appliance.
    Ya I did all that and you may be right. temps are getting cooler right now but in any case this new fridge is much better and is pretty bad ass

Bronze
    Load Metric
    These are such a bitch to keep clean. I regret buying my appliances in Stainless steel. Good luck.
    Thats what the wifey is for

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    The fridge should come with a standard warranty of 6-12 months (usually 12), so get all of these issues like the ice buildup fixed before it expires.

I had a bad seal causing problems with the icemaker, btw.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bonus, I found a sweet spot for the old fridge. Provided it keeps gaining steam and does not backfire then I will not let them haul it away

Load Metric
    I bought this for my new Toyota. do you all think I got screwed?

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consu...S_Platinum.pdf

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Beware of cell phone warranties, though. Sometimes they can provide you a refurbished phone instead of a new one. Make sure to ask that before purchasing one.
    A warranty is typically provided by the manufacture. They will replace a defective phone. If you purchase insurance you normally do get a refurb. Insurance is not suppose to benefit you but just make you whole. That being said if you had a used phone and break it or lose it you should not benefit by getting a brand new phone. A refurb. is correct with insurance.

Load Metric

Speaking from having watched countless friends/relatives go through the same thing please do buy a warranty of some kind but be very careful of the fine print. Seems most units have a lot of problems that the homeowner (you) can't fix (bro trust me on this- you can not fix most problems a refrigerator is likely to have.)

The problem becomes what kind of warranty to buy and whom to buy it from? I dunno what's available in your area but Sears out here warranties their stuff and when you need something fixed they send Geek Squad to come and fix it. Normally parts are covered and most labor is as well, I think you need to blatantly destroy your unit for them to want to charge you anything. Negs on the three week wait time but what can you do..

Hope this all works out for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

Speaking from having watched countless friends/relatives go through the same thing please do buy a warranty of some kind but be very careful of the fine print. Seems most units have a lot of problems that the homeowner (you) can't fix (bro trust me on this- you can not fix most problems a refrigerator is likely to have.)

The problem becomes what kind of warranty to buy and whom to buy it from? I dunno what's available in your area but Sears out here warranties their stuff and when you need something fixed they send Geek Squad to come and fix it. Normally parts are covered and most labor is as well, I think you need to blatantly destroy your unit for them to want to charge you anything. Negs on the three week wait time but what can you do..

Chose to skip the warranty and this fridge was a good investment with so much more space

old fridge is working ok as a backup too, just have to unplug it once every 3 weeks because the freezer is indeed fucked as it will fill with frost on one side but the bottom half stays @ 35-40 full time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

Chose to skip the warranty and this fridge was a good investment with so much more space

old fridge is working ok as a backup too, just have to unplug it once every 3 weeks because the freezer is indeed fucked as it will fill with frost on one side but the bottom half stays @ 35-40 full time
    You're a smart man. Anyone who takes the advice of the forum's life loser deserves what they get.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In my younger years I worked a sales job where we sold warranties on shit. The bosses pressured associates hard to sell them because in the end when you pool all the money together they make off "insurance" it becomes mostly pure profit to the company.

That isn't to say on every product the warranty is a a rip off but from what I've seen the past 5-10 years I will say most are.

Around 19 years ago when I bought my first computer, monitor, and printer at Best Buy the warranties were actually priced quite well for three years so I took them. It was probably around $100 or so for all three which the entire computer package cost me around $1500-1800 if I recall. I was 14 at the time so obviously had my mom and a friend who was computer savvy in that era help me out with it.

I remember using those warranties a few times once when a hard drive fried and then when the crt picture tube went out in an old school monitor so those warranties paid for themselves but the cost Best Buy tried to get out of me about a year ago on nice laptop I bought was laughable in regards to the price of the product.

They key is finding value in a warranty if the company don't over price it but these days they are very aware of break down rates and what to charge so most of the time you will get screwed if you buy them.

Comments

Belly Buster: teenage ballin' rep

Thread Information