Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 WSOP Conference Call Q&A

Load Metric

2012 WSOP Conference Call Q&A

I will be participating in the WSOP Conference Call this Tuesday with Ty Stewart and Jack Effel if anyone has any legitimate questions they would like me to ask regarding rules, structure, and such. I'll have a full report up at some point on Tuesday as well at PNB.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I will be participating in the WSOP Conference Call this Tuesday with Ty Stewart and Jack Effel if anyone has any legitimate questions they would like me to ask regarding rules, structure, and such. I'll have a full report up at some point on Tuesday as well at PNB.
    Will Chris Fergusons Champions banner be removed or tarped? Is he and or Howard Lederer and possibly Annie Duke barred from playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Will Chris Fergusons Champions banner be removed or tarped? Is he and or Howard Lederer and possibly Annie Duke barred from playing?
    As much as I would like to lead with that, let me wait and see how the line of questioning goes before I toss that one out there!

Load Metric

As much as I would like to lead with that, let me wait and see how the line of questioning goes before I toss that one out there!
    Why aren't the limit events structures consistant? There higher buy in events have multiple levels where the limits stay the same and the lower buy ins have increased limits every level? Is that the best solution that the tournament director can come up with?
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric

Why aren't the limit events structures consistant? There higher buy in events have multiple levels where the limits stay the same and the lower buy ins have increased limits every level? Is that the best solution that the tournament director can come up with?
    I can actually answer this for you:

#1 -- high-buy-in events tend to have slower structures and deeper starting stacks; it's just the nature of the poker beast
    #2 -- there is typically an extra day scheduled for the higher buy-in events
    #3 -- MOSTLY high-stakes pros play the high-buy-in limit events, and they tend to complain a lot and get their way

Load Metric

#1 -- high-buy-in events tend to have slower structures and deeper starting stacks; it's just the nature of the poker beast
    #3 -- MOSTLY high-stakes pros play the high-buy-in limit events, and they tend to complain a lot and get their way
    I just think that the most prostigious event needs to be more consistant and uniform. Wouldn't a simple formula of an increased starting stack resolve this problem?

Load Metric

I just think that the most prostigious event needs to be more consistant and uniform. Wouldn't a simple formula of an increased starting stack resolve this problem?
    The stack-size isn't enough. For instance if a person starts with 250BBs in a small buy-in event and 500BB's in a large buy-in event the only thing gained is one or two levels being moved from the middle stage of the tournament to the beginning and adding a few levels at the tail-end of the tournament... the all-important bubble stages will be similar.

If it starts at 25/50... 50/100... 75/150... 100/200... 100/200 + ante... 150/300... 200/400, and the players start with 12,500 or 25,000 chips, by level 7 you're already down to 31 and 62BB's, so instead of players hitting a bust-out phase at level 7 they hit it at level 8 or 9... this kind of "added play" isn't what the pros want out of the tournamnet; they want a slow structure throughout.

The simplest solution to me would be to have 60-minute levels for smaller buy-ins, 90-minute levels for mid-buy-ins, and 120-minute levels for the Championship events. Then every event could use the same blind and ante structure

Load Metric

Cool

The stack-size isn't enough. For instance if a person starts with 250BBs in a small buy-in event and 500BB's in a large buy-in event the only thing gained is one or two levels being moved from the middle stage of the tournament to the beginning and adding a few levels at the tail-end of the tournament... the all-important bubble stages will be similar.

If it starts at 25/50... 50/100... 75/150... 100/200... 100/200 + ante... 150/300... 200/400, and the players start with 12,500 or 25,000 chips, by level 7 you're already down to 31 and 62BB's, so instead of players hitting a bust-out phase at level 7 they hit it at level 8 or 9... this kind of "added play" isn't what the pros want out of the tournamnet; they want a slow structure throughout.

The simplest solution to me would be to have 60-minute levels for smaller buy-ins, 90-minute levels for mid-buy-ins, and 120-minute levels for the Championship events. Then every event could use the same blind and ante structure
    It looks like that is what they are doing but making themselves look very stupid and incompetant in the process. If you can't tell already I am a huge Caesars/Harrahs hater

Load Metric
    Couple questions for you Steve.

Will there be more, less, equal ESPN coverage this year?
    Will semi-live hole card broadcasting return?
    Will the WSOP Australian events be bracelet and POY events?
    Any changes to the POY criteria?
    Bootsies question about the Ferguson banner is a must.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

Good suggestions... the WSOP APAC are BRACELET events, but if they do count towards POY race it will be for 2013 anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

ESPN coverage is down to just BigOne, WSOP Main Event and WSOPC National Championship --no Players Championship coverage.... BUT every event will be streamed by WSOP

15 minute delay

WSOP APAC counts toward 2013 POY Race

None noted

Ferguson banner stays (its a moment not an endorsement was the answer given, so I assume Russ Hamilton's will be back up --also two good digs at Epic Poker League by WSOP guys....

I'll have a full wirteup at some point today

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good stuff.
    Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company

Load Metric
    Full report on the important details: http://pokernewsboy.com/wsop-news/bi...nce-call/12098

Load Metric
    So when responding to the Ferguson question (Pokerati Dan threw it out there) they first said we are not creating a standards and conduct committee and to pass judgement on whose banner can stay.... Follwoed by the "We own the wsop.com domain but it doesn't stand for Wicked Series of Poker" zinger. So I guess we know where the WSOP guys stand on Annie, Jeffrey, and the EPL

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Why does the OneDrop $1 million tournament have a cap?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Glad the 50k players championship will stay HORSE throughout the entire tourney. I thought it was terrible how they switched to NL for the final table.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemplar View Post
    Glad the 50k players championship will stay HORSE throughout the entire tourney. I thought it was terrible how they switched to NL for the final table.
    I thought the 50k was the 8 game?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post
    It is 8-Game mix I believe, everyone was referring to it as the HORSE event, so it must have stuck in my head, and Ty Stewarts since he apparently called it HORSE according to my notes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Got cha!

Thread Information