Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOL Los Angeles school system

Platinum
    Load Metric

LOL Los Angeles school system

So, I just moved to a fairly affluent pocket of Los Angeles (Median Home price ~700k), which isn't "ballin" for Los Angeles, but is enough that most of the people living in the neighborhood are white and Asian, and crime isn't too bad. Before moving in I knew that within 1/2 mile of my house is a public grade school and a public middle school, but didn't look too much into it because I have one child who is 1 year old, so don't have to worry about it for a while.

Still, it would be nice to have a good public school my kid can go to, if I end up staying in this neighborhood. Nope. After moving in I saw that one of the schools is a "Charter" school and the other is a "Magnet" school. I do not know exactly what that means, but to put it bluntly the vast majority of the kids are black or hispanic and are bused in. And the schools themselves are gated and barred up like Fort Knox. The middle school even has a metal detector to get in the gate.

So I guess the way things work in Los Angeles is that most of the inner city kids go to inner city schools where they learn to be criminals, while the top echelon of inner city kids are bused into more affluent white areas where they are given a chance, and all the white and asian kids who actually live in nice areas still go to private school? looks like I will be forking over $30k+/year for my kid to go to private school like all the other whiteys. Glad to know my tax dollars are being put to good use.

Load Metric
    Name:  eso_es_racista.gif
Views: 424
Size:  202.5 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I don't consider myself racist per se, but reality is reality. If 100% of the kids going to the Charter grade school down the street from myself are black and bused in from the inner city, my kid isn't going there, period. Even if I wanted him to, it probably would not be allowed.

If it is racist for me to complain that I am going to have to pay 30k/year to enroll my kid in private school and to make arrangements to drive him to and from school everyday while my tax dollars are being spent to bus inner city kids to the school down the street from my house, so be it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    So, I just moved to a fairly affluent pocket of Los Angeles (Median Home price ~700k), which isn't "ballin" for Los Angeles, but is enough that most of the people living in the neighborhood are white and Asian, and crime isn't too bad. Before moving in I knew that within 1/2 mile of my house is a public grade school and a public middle school, but didn't look too much into it because I have one child who is 1 year old, so don't have to worry about it for a while.

Still, it would be nice to have a good public school my kid can go to, if I end up staying in this neighborhood. Nope. After moving in I saw that one of the schools is a "Charter" school and the other is a "Magnet" school. I do not know exactly what that means, but to put it bluntly the vast majority of the kids are black or hispanic and are bused in. And the schools themselves are gated and barred up like Fort Knox. The middle school even has a metal detector to get in the gate.

So I guess the way things work in Los Angeles is that most of the inner city kids go to inner city schools where they learn to be criminals, while the top echelon of inner city kids are bused into more affluent white areas where they are given a chance, and all the white and asian kids who actually live in nice areas still go to private school? looks like I will be forking over $30k+/year for my kid to go to private school like all the other whiteys. Glad to know my tax dollars are being put to good use.
    it's part of being white dude, would you rather be black? I doubt it.....

Load Metric

youre as dumb as the day is long
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The LAUSD busing occurs when certain schools are overcrowded and others have room.

It is common for the less-affluent areas to have more overcrowding, due to both higher population density (a lot of apartments) and a lower average age (meaning more kids in typical households). More affluent areas tend to have a number of older people whose children are grown up, and few apartment buildings.

Therefore, it is almost always the case that busing brings in the children from poorer families.

The "magnet" schools are also in place to bring together students with common career interests. Magnet schools in LA are Communications, Fine and Performing Arts, Foreign Language, Gifted/High Ability, Humanities, Law/Government/Police Academies, and Math/Science Technology.

I am not sure why the magnet school in your neighborhood is so heavily infused with minorities.

It might simply be because of "white flight" from the public school system. That is, when minorities are bused in -- even to magnet schools -- white parents get concerned and enroll their kids in private school.

This is generally the case with LAUSD. If you don't want your kid going to school with a lot of minorities, you put them in private school and pay up the ass. The LA-area private schools know that there is high demand, and they charge a shitload of money -- often not commensurate with the quality of their school.

The best solution here is to simply live in a southern California city that is not part of LAUSD. This is the case for most (but not all) incorporated cities outside of Los Angeles. These cities tend to have their own school districts, and there is no busing.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Aka move to Torrance

Load Metric
    lol at thinking public education is ever the right choice.

Comments

Corrigan: of course it's sometimes the right choice

Vwls: Public schools in California are among the worst in the nation.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Aka move to Torrance
    Move to Irvine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Aka move to Torrance
    Move to Irvine.
    La Canada-Flintridge, which has under-enrollment and takes in students from surrounding areas just to fill the school and get additional state funding....people camp out nights before to apply

La Canada-Flintridge homes are above $700k on average though.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Aka move to Torrance
    Move to Irvine.

I lived in Irvine for a few years and it seemed to me pretty much hell on Earth
    I'm going to come across as a bit of a douche but I really know more about this then anyone on this board by miles.

...if Trump is nominee he wins Presidency easily. Angry Blue Collar Whites will have record turnout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cally most f*cked up state in the union. Get wise and move out.

Load Metric
    I have two kids who are school age and live in LA and can advise. PM for more info if you want. Charter schools need to show diversity similar to the neighborhood in which they are located otherwise their charter will be revoked. They are funded by LAUSD but most of the time there is a lot of fundraising to make up the various shortfalls like PE and art. There are a lot of good charter schools in LA but you'll need to be involved. Druff explained the magnet situation perfectly. I'll tell you they are tough to get in to and there is a point system for applying that doesn't favor affluent white dudes.

The bussing issue is a nightmare in LA. Take Westchester or Venice for instance. The surrounding areas are all affluent with some apartments, section 8, and a few pockets of folks who normally wouldn't be able to afford living in the area. Mix in a few busses from the hood and the schools look like a snoop dogg concert come 3 pm. I can't tell you how many times I've seen teenagers getting arrested at 3pm.

Tip for living in LA - get a dog and fence in your yard.

Load Metric
    Personally I would've gone with Lols Angeles school system, but that's me
    TRUMP 2024!

Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    I'd say the opposite. Put your kid in the public system, it's all about developing social skills anyway, and maybe learning a thing or two about history and science and etc. Being able to "get by" around rough terrain is just as important a life skill.....

...unless you're just filthy rich and don't give a fuck and want your kid to carry on that lifestyle...then go ahead and pamper them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    I'd say the opposite. Put your kid in the public system, it's all about developing social skills anyway, and maybe learning a thing or two about history and science and etc. Being able to "get by" around rough terrain is just as important a life skill.....

...unless you're just filthy rich and don't give a fuck and want your kid to carry on that lifestyle...then go ahead and pamper them.

but i have to admit no way i am putting my kid in public school if its all nigs. my kid is 10 & goes to public school fwiw but im not in cali and the schools dont have busing. no major issues so far.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post

Move to Irvine.

I lived in Irvine for a few years and it seemed to me pretty much hell on Earth
    The only reason why you say it is hell on Earth is because you failed to make it here. Not too many low/middle stakes online grinders can afford to live here.

Comments

big dick: you must be quite the boss....
    Last edited by Bootsy Collins; 05-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Load Metric
    There percentage of decent public schools anywhere is probably less than 10% The harsh reality is that the best teachers and staff are employees at private institutions.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

The only reason why you say it is hell on Earth is because you failed to make it here. Not too many low/middle stakes online grinders can afford to live here.

lol ok guess I couldn't cut it on the mean streets of Irvine. Enjoy your planned community.

Load Metric
    Irvine does have good sushi though.

Thread Information