Thread: Free Dodgers "road opening day" viewing party at Dodger Stadium on April 5th

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Free Dodgers "road opening day" viewing party at Dodger Stadium on April 5th

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la...006750892-1034

This is a totally free event. Free parking, free admission.

You get to go into the stadium and watch the Dodgers on the road on the big screen.

Can you imagine the type of element that will be there, given the price tag?

Sidebets on the number of arrests made at the stadium that day?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

A Jewish element?

Load Metric
    http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la...006750892-1034

You get to go into the stadium and watch the Dodgers on the road on the big screen.

Sidebets on the number of arrests made at the stadium that day?
    As an Angels fan, I really hope Magic invests into making serious changes to Dodger Stadium to make it safer. Angel Stadium is the nuts as far as safety, value and there are multiple places that I can take my 6 year old niece if she gets bored that would entertain her. When the Freeway Series is at Angel Stadium it Still gets pretty crazy. I watched a Dodger Fan get tased at the diamond club and I dared not wander to the beer patio area.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Druff, I listen to sports talk radio, and even taking a new Fox TV contract into account, it seems everyone agrees the Magic Johnson group WAY overpaid for the Dodgers, especially considering they will need to spend several hundred million renovating the stadium in the very near future.

But everyone also says the groups that put up the real money behind the scenes are not dumb so they must know something we dont.

Do you have any knowledge/opinion on the matter.

Load Metric
    Fucking dodger scum

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Druff, I listen to sports talk radio, and even taking a new Fox TV contract into account, it seems everyone agrees the Magic Johnson group WAY overpaid for the Dodgers, especially considering they will need to spend several hundred million renovating the stadium in the very near future.

But everyone also says the groups that put up the real money behind the scenes are not dumb so they must know something we dont.

Yes, he did overpay.

Well, actually his investors did. Most of the money didn't come from Magic himself.

The stadium itself gets a bad rap. Sure, it looks a bit 1960s in places, but it's a classic stadium and I personally love the place. A lot of the reason people talk about hating Dodger Stadium, especially in the last decade, is because of the clientele there. I usually avoid the criminal element at the stadium by simply purchasing the more expensive seats, which tend to be occupied by people much less inclined to disruption/violence.

I will say that, about 20 years ago, one of my friends won free bleacher seats to a game, and invited me. While there, a drunk gangbanger said he was going to stab me because I was supposedly looking at him the wrong way, and while in the food line, an 8-year-old was actually threatening to kick my ass. (How do you even respond to that last one??) Needless to say, I made a decision never to sit in the bleachers ever again, free tickets or not.

They need to spend some money on some good security and enact a zero-tolerance policy for the troublemakers at the stadium. That's more of a policy change than something that would cost a lot of money.

But yeah, no chance the team is worth $2 billion. That's crazy. At least it's indicative that the group has deep pockets and probably won't be cheap. The Dodgers are currently wasting the best pitcher and best hitter in the league, putting such lousy players around them that the team is still only around .500 caliber.

Keep in mind that it's tough to even get that good of a cash flow in baseball these days, due to the crazy high player contracts. This isn't like the old days (or even 25 years ago) when players made peanuts and the owners reaped huge benefits.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Yes, he did overpay.

Well, actually his investors did. Most of the money didn't come from Magic himself.

The stadium itself gets a bad rap. Sure, it looks a bit 1960s in places, but it's a classic stadium and I personally love the place. A lot of the reason people talk about hating Dodger Stadium, especially in the last decade, is because of the clientele there. I usually avoid the criminal element at the stadium by simply purchasing the more expensive seats, which tend to be occupied by people much less inclined to disruption/violence.

I will say that, about 20 years ago, one of my friends won free bleacher seats to a game, and invited me. While there, a drunk gangbanger said he was going to stab me because I was supposedly looking at him the wrong way, and while in the food line, an 8-year-old was actually threatening to kick my ass. (How do you even respond to that last one??) Needless to say, I made a decision never to sit in the bleachers ever again, free tickets or not.

They need to spend some money on some good security and enact a zero-tolerance policy for the troublemakers at the stadium. That's more of a policy change than something that would cost a lot of money.

But yeah, no chance the team is worth $2 billion. That's crazy. At least it's indicative that the group has deep pockets and probably won't be cheap. The Dodgers are currently wasting the best pitcher and best hitter in the league, putting such lousy players around them that the team is still only around .500 caliber.

Keep in mind that it's tough to even get that good of a cash flow in baseball these days, due to the crazy high player contracts. This isn't like the old days (or even 25 years ago) when players made peanuts and the owners reaped huge benefits.
    Unless Billingsley and Ethier step up in a big way this season (which is definitely possible) I do not see how they will even be as good as they were last year. Basically from last years team all they did was lose their second best starting pitcher, Kuroda, who was quietly good but never got any run support or bullpen help. (How do you have a 3.07 ERA and go 13-16???)

Load Metric
    Speaking of vintage type stadiums, has anybody been to Wrigley field lately? I went to a Cubs/Brewers game there last year and I could not believe how damn small the place was. I'm so used to going to Miller Park I guess (which is a top ballpark in the league and one of the only ones to allow tailgating). Rahm Emanuel said something today about getting the ball rolling on Wrigley renovations, which will cost in the hundreds of millions as well,I would guess. Todd, have you ever been to Wrigley Field?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Standard View Post
    Speaking of vintage type stadiums, has anybody been to Wrigley field lately? I went to a Cubs/Brewers game there last year and I could not believe how damn small the place was. I'm so used to going to Miller Park I guess (which is a top ballpark in the league and one of the only ones to allow tailgating). Rahm Emanuel said something today about getting the ball rolling on Wrigley renovations, which will cost in the hundreds of millions as well,I would guess. Todd, have you ever been to Wrigley Field?
    Sadly, no.

Only stadiums I've been to have been those belonging to:

Padres (both the old and the new)
    Giants (new)
    Dodgers (many times since my first visit in 1976)
    Diamondbacks
    Red Sox (but didn't see a game, they were on the road)
    Angels

Load Metric
    did you wear a dodgers hat when you came here?

Thread Information