Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your favorite US President?

Load Metric

Who's your favorite US President?

Going by what they accomplished in office and their overall legacy. I'll give you my Top 5 with a quick reason for each:

#1 --Abraham Lincoln: Emancipated the slaves and eventually changed his views on race as a whole
    C'mon, you know what he did!
    #2 -- Theodore Roosevelt: The quintessential Alpha-Male
    Split from the Repubs and formed the Bull-Moose party; fought for the working class
    #3 -- Dwight Eisenhower: A steady, moderate leader who focused on getting things accomplished through compromise and working together
    Kept the republican party from becoming ultra conservative; created the Interstate Highway system; started implementing civil rights (brown v Board of Education, sent in troops to intergrate school in Arkansas)
    #4 -- George Washington: By all accounts he was the one person that the power of the presidency didn't go to his head
    Kept the country together during its earliest days
    #5 -- Andrew Jackson: Another strong-willed leader
    Paid off the entire national debt; Abolished the National bank
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    "Some of the biggest men in the United States,
    in the field of commerce and manufacture, are
    afraid of something. They know that there is a
    power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so
    watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so
    pervasive, that they better not speak above
    their breath when they speak in condemnation of it."

- Woodrow Wilson, The New Freedom (1913)

Load Metric
    And LOL at you listing honest Abe as the best for emancipating the slaves and then still put George Washington on your list. Did George treat the Black people he owned in a fair way or what? That cherry tree story really got to you as a kid didn't it. Jesus how fucking much easier was it to make shit up in those days I wonder.

At least Andrew Jackson had a soft spot for the humans he owned.

"As far as lenity can be extended to these unfortunate creatures I wish you to do so; subordination must be obtained first, and then good treatment."

- Andrew Jackson

Load Metric
    Given that our government is corrupt, the best presidents are sadly the ones that were murdered. Assassination probably means they were actually trying to do something right.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Bronze
    Load Metric
    in my life, while almost exclusively voting dem, id have to say the best/ my fav president was reagan! he was an absolute beast! he came along at a perfect time for america and basically told russia(and everyone else for that matter)fuck you, we are america we are the best...yep reagan for sure

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    And LOL at you listing honest Abe as the best for emancipating the slaves and then still put George Washington on your list. Did George treat the Black people he owned in a fair way or what? That cherry tree story really got to you as a kid didn't it. Jesus how fucking much easier was it to make shit up in those days I wonder.
    Trying to look solely at their accomplishments in their preidency and their legacies, not at the flaws of men who lived in a very different age.

Who cares about a cherry tree? Washington managed to keep the preidency an elected office when he could have become a dictator of sorts; never joined a political party; created the cabinet system that is still in place; normalized relations with Great Britain after the war; and voluntarily left office. Perhaps more importantly is what he DIDN'T do when elected.

Might be interested to know that the man you listed (or quoted anyway) Wilson was very bigoted, and has a terrible track-record on race relations in the nadir period after reconstruction

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Trying to look solely at their accomplishments in their preidency and their legacies, not at the flaws of men who lived in a very different age.

Who cares about a cherry tree? Washington managed to keep the preidency an elected office when he could have become a dictator of sorts; never joined a political party; created the cabinet system that is still in place; normalized relations with Great Britain after the war; and voluntarily left office. Perhaps more importantly is what he DIDN'T do when elected.

Might be interested to know that the man you listed (or quoted anyway) Wilson was very bigoted, and has a terrible track-record on race relations in the nadir period after reconstruction

That was better said and less hate filled than I was expecting.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badbilly32 View Post
    in my life, while almost exclusively voting dem, id have to say the best/ my fav president was reagan! he was an absolute beast! he came along at a perfect time for america and basically told russia(and everyone else for that matter)fuck you, we are america we are the best...yep reagan for sure
    In my opinion it's still too soon to judge Regan, Clinton, W and other recent presidents because some of the policies they enacted are still playing out. Did Clinton preside over a prosperous economy thanks to polocies or did he luckbox into the dotcom boom? Regan has been slipping in recent years because of the pox on supply-side economics and as more classified inofrmation is made available on the reasons for the collapse of the Soviet Union. Personally, I like both men, both were fairly moderate and strong leaders that could work with either side.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Given that our government is corrupt, the best presidents are sadly the ones that were murdered. Assassination probably means they were actually trying to do something right.
    This is so true.

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

-Woodrow Wilson, after signing the Federal Reserve into existence
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Pretty much every president has had to deal with an assasin's bullet or at least the plotting of one.

I don't know if James Garfield and William McKinley are going to make too many presidential Top Ten lists either

Load Metric

That was better said and less hate filled than I was expecting.
    I'll try harder next time

Load Metric
    Going by what they accomplished in office and their overall legacy. I'll give you my Top 5 with a quick reason for each:

#1 --Abraham Lincoln: Emancipated the slaves and eventually changed his views on race as a whole
    C'mon, you know what he did!
    the entire lawn care industry votes for Lincoln

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badbilly32 View Post
    In my opinion it's still too soon to judge Regan, Clinton, W and other recent presidents because some of the policies they enacted are still playing out. Did Clinton preside over a prosperous economy thanks to polocies or did he luckbox into the dotcom boom? Regan has been slipping in recent years because of the pox on supply-side economics and as more classified inofrmation is made available on the reasons for the collapse of the Soviet Union. Personally, I like both men, both were fairly moderate and strong leaders that could work with either side.
    first let me say i answered this in the perspective of best pres in my life(im almost43) and as far as prosperity, my best years in terms on earnings was def the clinton years without a doubt

that being said my answer is still reagan....not sure if your old enough to remember but during ford / carter's terms in office ,america was getting beat up! russia was without a doubt the super power of the world in terms of firepower/athletics/ basic world domination(communisim was thriving )

that all changed once ronbo got into power, the economy got better our military became the strongest in the world at that point...he was just an overall badass, his attitude was this is america, if you dont like it, too fukkin bad, ill just nuke your ass...yeah i liked reagan best

like i said in my first post lifelong dem, but reagan =god

Load Metric
    I wish there was a website where you could make a bracket and vote on WHO IS THE BEST PRESIDENT.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    I wish there was a website where you could make a bracket and vote on WHO IS THE BEST PRESIDENT.
    I was going to do this, but I decided I'm simply too lazy I even had the idea of using the best/worst president rankings to seed them. Maybe someone else with more time and motivation can throw it up.

Perhaps I can make it up to you by doing a quick interview and write-up of your site: PM me if you're interested

Load Metric

I have some meetings this morning for some of our other software products, but I could whip up that bracket later tonight for you.

Load Metric
    a top 5 list without FDR? really...?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post
    If FDR didn't seize all the gold in the country; pay bottom dollar to the owners of said gold; and then set the price at top dollar once he had it all; He MIGHT make my list. FDR has plenty of grand accomplishments, and then some that are simply head-scratchers

Load Metric
    I like Nixon (just because) and Reagan without some of his religious garbage.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post
    If FDR didn't seize all the gold in the country; pay bottom dollar to the owners of said gold; and then set the price at top dollar once he had it all; He MIGHT make my list. FDR has plenty of grand accomplishments, and then some that are simply head-scratchers
    The example above is just one of many that prevents me from trusting my government. Governments have lied and stolen from their people all through out history and yet most people blindly put their trust and faith in them. WTF is wrong with people!?!? lol

The above is why I lean towards the conservative side even though both parties are hugely flawed and do the bidding of their money masters in the end. There is no denying that the left believes bigger government is the answer to all our problems. Give me a friggin break!
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Thread Information