Thread: "Restuarant Impossible" on the Food Network gets taken to task by owner!

Bronze
    Load Metric

"Restuarant Impossible" on the Food Network gets taken to task by owner!

So this restaurant owner who appears on the Food Network is facing bankruptcy and reaches out to host Robert Irvine from Restaurant Impossible for help to save his business. Basically Mr. Irvine goes in for two days and does an extreme makeover for $10,000: Menu, Staff, Appearance of place.

So he went to this shit hole in Tennessee and cleans the fucking place up and gives the guy a new start and does a 1 hour special on the Food Channel. And look at the thanks Mr. Irvine gets (video, very safe for work):

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/21...d-network-show

Fucking piece of shit. Hopefully this fucking place closes for good.

Oh, here is Robert Irvine's wife so we know who has won in life:

Name:  200px-Gail_Kim.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  22.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The owner is a moron, because he knew what he was signing up for (and if he didn't, he should have watched some of the "restaurant gets makeover" type shows before agreeing).

However, I believe a lot of what he was saying.

First off, I believe that his restaurant was probably a complete mess, and the owner probably deserved most of the comments on-camera from Irvine about the state of his business. That's what these producers look for -- bad, dirty restaurants (often with eccentric owners) on the brink of disaster, where they can come in and get America to watch with delight as the host berates the ownership.

However, in watching some of these shows, I have often been skeptical of the "fixes" provided by the show. Some of the beautiful cosmetic fixes are not maintainable over time (especially if the restaurant is family-style and frequented by a lot of children), and more importantly, a revamped menu is not good if the staff lacks the ability to cook those foods to specifications.

The owner claims that the show didn't even leave him any recipes for the new menu. I can easily see this happening. The show only cares about what occurs when the camera is rolling, and doesn't give a shit what happens to the place after they leave.

The new prices (which were higher) were also a huge mistake, especially if the restaurant sits somewhere in down-home Nashville and not in a trendy, upscale neighorhood that could afford such price increases. In general, people don't like showing up to a restaurant and finding markedly higher prices, even if the food is considerably better.

Bottom line: The owner is an idiot if he thought this reality show was actually going to "help" his restaurant succeed. In reality, they were just making fun of him, and now he's pissed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The owner is a moron, because he knew what he was signing up for (and if he didn't, he should have watched some of the "restaurant gets makeover" type shows before agreeing).

First off, I believe that his restaurant was probably a complete mess, and the owner probably deserved most of the comments on-camera from Irvine about the state of his business. That's what these producers look for -- bad, dirty restaurants (often with eccentric owners) on the brink of disaster, where they can come in and get America to watch with delight as the host berates the ownership.

However, in watching some of these shows, I have often been skeptical of the "fixes" provided by the show. Some of the beautiful cosmetic fixes are not maintainable over time (especially if the restaurant is family-style and frequented by a lot of children), and more importantly, a revamped menu is not good if the staff lacks the ability to cook those foods to specifications.

The owner claims that the show didn't even leave him any recipes for the new menu. I can easily see this happening. The show only cares about what occurs when the camera is rolling, and doesn't give a shit what happens to the place after they leave.

The new prices (which were higher) were also a huge mistake, especially if the restaurant sits somewhere in down-home Nashville and not in a trendy, upscale neighorhood that could afford such price increases. In general, people don't like showing up to a restaurant and finding markedly higher prices, even if the food is considerably better.

Bottom line: The owner is an idiot if he thought this reality show was actually going to "help" his restaurant succeed. In reality, they were just making fun of him, and now he's pissed.
    Every time I go to Vegas or Tahoe, and stuck in a hotel w/no DVR I get hooked on one of these shows, so I saw like 10 before I realized they were all the same.
    I agree w/everything druff says, except the recipe/menu thing. The first thing he does w/every menu is make it as simple/small as possible.
    Then he teaches them a dish or 2, and always makes sure they can do it themselves.
    AND he is there for a full night, in case they still didn't get it.
    AND here is a link w/over 100 recipes from that show.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/restauran...pes/index.html

He comes off like an ass, and someone usually quits or gets fired because he is there, but I've never seen him deny helping someone that is trying to be a better cook.

The one thing I did learn from this show is that ice machines are salmonella traps. I'd never heard that before.
    I used to look at ice, in a drink, at a restaurant, as so refreshing, now I'm worried I'm gonna get salmonella.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Every time I go to Vegas or Tahoe, and stuck in a hotel w/no DVR I get hooked on one of these shows, so I saw like 10 before I realized they were all the same.
    I agree w/everything druff says, except the recipe/menu thing. The first thing he does w/every menu is make it as simple/small as possible.
    Then he teaches them a dish or 2, and always makes sure they can do it themselves.
    AND he is there for a full night, in case they still didn't get it.
    AND here is a link w/over 100 recipes from that show.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/restauran...pes/index.html

He comes off like an ass, and someone usually quits or gets fired because he is there, but I've never seen him deny helping someone that is trying to be a better cook.

The one thing I did learn from this show is that ice machines are salmonella traps. I'd never heard that before.
    I used to look at ice, in a drink, at a restaurant, as so refreshing, now I'm worried I'm gonna get salmonella.
    Yeah, I keep hearing that ice machines are dirty, too, but I just can't help getting ice both at hotels and restaurants.

Drinks at restaurants, including water, tends to be warm, and you really need ice.

I'm 41 and have never had salmonella (which is fortunate, given all the times I ate at Firefly in Vegas), so I'm not that worried.

I didn't know the recipes were available online, so I guess the guy was wrong about that. Still, raising the prices was incredibly stupid, and I see why the owner feels that he basically sold the right to get humiliated on TV for $10,000.

Load Metric
    If they neglected to provide the fucking recipes for the new dishes on the menu, Im sorry but thats fucked up.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    If they neglected to provide the fucking recipes for the new dishes on the menu, Im sorry but thats fucked up.
    I am sorry, but this place is just a mess. The owner just sounds like a guy that just wanted his place re-furb'd just to sell. He apparently had an AD on Craigslist to sell it right after the show per the messages, although it's been deleted so maybe it was a drunk dream but I think I saw it.

There was also another show were the place was infested with roaches in Clearwater. This is why I could never own a restaurant because I would beat the shit out of the fucking staff for letting this shut happen. You can just see a piece of shit like Vegas1369 leave each night saying "Man this is not my place" rather than let the owner know.

Thread Information