Thread: Hackers From China Resume Attacks on U.S. Targets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

Hackers From China Resume Attacks on U.S. Targets

NY Times today:

"WASHINGTON — Three months after hackers working for a cyberunit of China’s People’s Liberation Army went silent amid evidence that they had stolen data from scores of American companies and government agencies, they appear to have resumed their attacks using different techniques, according to computer industry security experts and American officials....The hackers were behind scores of thefts of intellectual property and government documents over the past five years, according to a report by Mandiant in February that was confirmed by American officials. They have stolen product blueprints, manufacturing plans, clinical trial results, pricing documents, negotiation strategies and other proprietary information from more than 100 of Mandiant’s clients, predominantly in the United States.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/wo...s.html?hp&_r=0
    "

I think this is one of the world's greatest threats. I've seen it firsthand. A couple of months ago, I was browsing my router's log and spotted several blocked attempted intrusions. Out of curiosity, I did an IP trace on one of them and it pointed to a city somewhere in China. It suggested to me that they were systematically testing every IP address out there for access. Something to be concerned about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chinese (and other foreign country) hackers are constantly trying to hack the PFA server.

It's not specifically targeted at PFA, but just a wide attempt to catch anyone with their pants down.

Load Metric
    article is about APTs.

thread comments are about automated scans from compromised chinese boxen.

one is not the same as the other.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    article is about APTs.

thread comments are about automated scans from compromised chinese boxen.

one is not the same as the other.
    China has shutdown the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric

statistics for the carna botnet, underscores exactly how porous the chinese ip space is right now.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    just today, my anti-virus quarantined "trojan.js.blacoleref.bf", and I have no idea on which site I visited that was infected with it. The internet as we know it today is going to have to functionally change somehow, particularly if China and the other hackers were able to gain an upper hand over present security measures.

I don't know what it will take for the US gov't to take these threats more seriously. They seemingly aren't doing much now--just letting private firms to take care of it. It just too big of a problem technically, geographically, and politically. Maybe when Congress's or the White House web sites get hacked we might see more action.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Chinese (and other foreign country) hackers are constantly trying to hack the PFA server.

It's not specifically targeted at PFA, but just a wide attempt to catch anyone with their pants down.
    So your saying the Joe Sebok's of the world should be worried?

China and Russia always seem to be the biggest hacking countries. Others attempt to but these two seem to be the biggest culprits.

Their are other countries that are popular for scamming money like Nigeria but they aren't even that creative about it.

Thread Information