Page 103 of 418 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 8350

Thread: Bitcoins are officially donkdown

Load Metric
    Interesting research study.

Research: Bitcoin Price Higher Where Economic Freedoms Are Low
    Yessi Bello Perez (@yessi_kbello) |Published on October 15, 2015 at 15:32 BST

New academic research has found that the price of bitcoin is higher in countries with lower degrees of economic freedom.

In his paper, Robert Viglione, a PhD student at Darla Moore School of Business in South Carolina, notes that investors in repressed countries have bigger incentives to invest in the digital currency.

Bitcoin, he says, is a low-cost option which allows citizens of these nations to bypass their domestic financial system.

He told CoinDesk:

"Countries with less freedom (eg capital controls and foreign exchange controls, like Argentina) have significantly higher bitcoin prices. It goes to the whole story about bitcoin having its highest values in repressive parts of the world. I think we're seeing a similar argument for Venezuelans' interest in bitcoin, as well."

Viglione pointed out that Argentina's high bitcoin price was likely due to the data picking up the differences between the official peso exchange rate – set by the government – and the effective exchange rate used by traders buying and selling the digital currency "on the street".

A disaster asset

Bitcoin's decentralised and open-source nature, Viglione says, affords it the ability to trade and transmit funds across borders with few barriers or transaction costs, hence allowing the digital currency to behave as a disaster asset for people in politically unstable environments.

Countries with capital controls, unstable prices, trade barriers or little financial freedom, he says, would be prime candidates for bitcoin as investors undergo a higher degree of asset confiscation and are less likely to move funds outside of the government controlled currency and their political jurisdiction.

Viglione asserts that there is also a connection between high corporate tax rates, total tax burden and the premiums that investors are willing to pay for bitcoin.

Although he notes hat bitcoin markets are probably too small for agents to consider the digital currency a viable channel of tax avoidance, he points out that there is a negative relationship between economic freedom and tax burden.

"Taken together, this could suggest that investors are using bitcoin as a mechanism of escaping broader repression, of which excessive taxation is a component," he concludes.
    The rest of the article provides more detail on Argentina, and links to references.

http://www.coindesk.com/research-bit...sed-countries/
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Bitcoin airing it out at $294

No comment.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  50.6 KB

Load Metric
    doesnt look like it went past 288 on btc-e.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Bitcoin airing it out at $294

No comment.

Views: 783
Size:  50.6 KB
    They probably wont be popping that cork until it gets to at least 600, which it won't.

Remember what chat they had where they were telling everyone that bitcoin will make it to 10,000?

The amazing thing was that we had people on this forum claiming that this would happen, because the Winkelvii said so. And they weren't joking.

Load Metric
    They probably wont be popping that cork until it gets to at least 600, which it won't.

Remember what chat they had where they were telling everyone that bitcoin will make it to 10,000?

The amazing thing was that we had people on this forum claiming that this would happen, because the Winkelvii said so. And they weren't joking.

they are invested so heavily in BTC that to say anything but its the greatest thing ever would be foolish. They need to hype the shit out of it or lose their ass.

Im sure they will make some new prognostication if it starts to slip, like BTC will be the new currency for Tanzania or something ridiculous.

Load Metric
    its also generally accepted that it was either them or their shills who were propping up prices for ever through microtrading.

point being, what they do/say is really irrelevant to any conversation about the organic value of btc.

speaking of which, i just noticed something interesting.. i went to a contemporary mining calculator page and the estimated break even period for someone purchasing a mining rig right now is...

.... infinity.

perhaps thats old news but i found it pretty shocking.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/world/...6r1ws50bP.html

Bitcoin CEO spent embezzled funds on prostitutes: reports

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its also generally accepted that it was either them or their shills who were propping up prices for ever through microtrading.

point being, what they do/say is really irrelevant to any conversation about the organic value of btc.

speaking of which, i just noticed something interesting.. i went to a contemporary mining calculator page and the estimated break even period for someone purchasing a mining rig right now is...

.... infinity.

perhaps thats old news but i found it pretty shocking.
    There have been times when gold prices fell so low that major mining companies ran losses in the short run because it less of a loss than shutting down all the mines altogether.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Interesting

Load Metric
    Well at least we know that when organisations or individuals are caught embezzling people's funds they are going to get prosecuted. Am I wrong?
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post
    Well at least we know that when organisations or individuals are caught embezzling people's funds they are going to get prosecuted. Am I wrong?
    Mark Hurd was never prosecuted. He just "retired" in disgrace for awhile. And he's now co-CEO of Oracle.

Load Metric
    So BTC are the highest they have been in a year+. Generally accepted theory is its being driven by Chinese seeking shelter from the yuan-storm.

Load Metric
    So BTC are the highest they have been in a year+. Generally accepted theory is its being driven by Chinese seeking shelter from the yuan-storm.
    Chinese may have lit the fire. However, you know better than most that this is a momo play. This is largely a thing to gamble on. Ask the Winkelvii. See that chart?

Alpaca socks & dope. In before Mumbles tells me it has utility.

Going parabolic.

315 was resistance and now support.

This is a logarithmic chart that I liked. You play with lines and scale until it suits your point. Right?

Views: 849
Size:  185.7 KB
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-30-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As they say, a million Chinese can't be .....

Comments

Sanlmar: Nobody loves a gamble more.

DRK Star: Wong

Load Metric
    Bitcoin is like the indestructible cockroach. Survived all kinds of calamities and kept on trucking. Though bowed never defeated.

Load Metric
    Its pretty much the safest means to conduct illegal activities, so, yeah, I would think they will be around awhile until someone figures out how to stop them, and with ass-backward countries heavily relying on them, Id say these are solid for now.

To the Moon!!

Comments

MumblesBadly: Does this mean Bitcoin are now "officially donkup"?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Its pretty much the safest means to conduct illegal activities, so, yeah, I would think they will be around awhile until someone figures out how to stop them, and with ass-backward countries heavily relying on them, Id say these are solid for now.
    I keep forgetting that part.

Bitcoin exchange MtGox CEO Mark Karpeles spent embezzled funds on prostitutes

Views: 512
Size:  69.5 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    I keep forgetting that part.

Bitcoin exchange MtGox CEO Mark Karpeles spent embezzled funds on prostitutes
    I wonder if the Yakuza have a contract out on him. Or whether they strong-armed him to embezzle funds for them.

Load Metric
    The latter.

Load Metric
    Hitting a weird plateau.. curious to see where this goes when China starts to sip its Monday morning coffee.

Thread Information