Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Discussion

Platinum
    Load Metric

Bourbon Discussion

Enjoying some Bookers right now...Stuff is the shit...Anybody have any other suggestions?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Enjoying some Bookers right now...Stuff is the shit...Anybody have any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Just about everything coming out of the Willett distillery is really good. The Willett branded bourbons and ryes are probably the best stuff out there short of going to the Pappy level of bourbon. They also make the Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown, Pure Kentucky XO, and a few others I can think of right now. They also have a bottle called Vintage Bourbon that is a 17 yr old that easily drinks like a bottle 3x the price. It's hard to find though.

I have a buddy who is a bourbon freak and has bottles that easily sell for 1k. Pappy van Winkle is like Makers to this guy.
    Last edited by gauchojake; 05-13-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Screwed up the name of the whisky

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love Pappy 23. Only find it in bars would love to buy a bottle.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post
    That was the first bottle I bought after I got back from the bourbon tour in Kentucky...Liked it, but definitely a distant second to Bookers at this point...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Just about everything coming out of the Willett distillery is really good. The Willett branded bourbons and ryes are probably the best stuff out there short of going to the Pappy level of bourbon. They also make the Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown, Pure Kentucky XO, and a few others I can think of right now. They also have a bottle called Vintage Bourbon that is a 17 yr old that easily drinks like a bottle 3x the price. It's hard to find though.

I have a buddy who is a bourbon freak and has bottles that easily sell for 1k. Pappy van Winkle is like Makers to this guy.

Heard of Pappy, what distillery makes them? And holy fuck to a 1K bottle of bourbon...I thought what I paid for Bookers was fairly steep for a bourbon...

I'm still new to all this shit, took the tour in March and we did the Maker's and Beam tours...It was very interesting...Maker's is such a small operation compared to the operation at the Beam plant...

Load Metric
    for the price....

Name:  img-bottle.png
Views: 462
Size:  142.8 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    for the price....

Name:  img-bottle.png
Views: 462
Size:  142.8 KB
    buffalo trace is definitely on the list to do...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    cool thanks poop...might be my next one if i can find it...

Load Metric
    The 10 year 107 proof and 90(?) proof of the Van Winkle is pretty readily available but not from the old Stitzel Weller distillery. Not sure about the 15 year but I know that the releases of the original "Pappy" are becoming more and more rare.

Basically the old distillery went out of business with juice still in the barrels and limited releases coming out every now and again. The new owners have the recipes or at least a good representation, so they have produced some product that is really good. For 35 bucks, the 10year is really really good.

This happened to a lot of distilleries and new people came in and bought shit that just doesn't exist or would take years to duplicate. Now you have a classic supply/demand situation and big market for the craft bourbons.

Another solid value buy is the Evan Williams single barrel. Evan is usually a pretty cheap bourbon (although still by definition a bourbon) but the single barrel is pretty good for the price. Better than Makers or Woodford. Lower alcohol content than I usually prefer, but its 92 I believe so still has a kick.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    The 10 year 107 proof and 90(?) proof of the Van Winkle is pretty readily available but not from the old Stitzel Weller distillery. Not sure about the 15 year but I know that the releases of the original "Pappy" are becoming more and more rare.

Basically the old distillery went out of business with juice still in the barrels and limited releases coming out every now and again. The new owners have the recipes or at least a good representation, so they have produced some product that is really good. For 35 bucks, the 10year is really really good.

This happened to a lot of distilleries and new people came in and bought shit that just doesn't exist or would take years to duplicate. Now you have a classic supply/demand situation and big market for the craft bourbons.

Another solid value buy is the Evan Williams single barrel. Evan is usually a pretty cheap bourbon (although still by definition a bourbon) but the single barrel is pretty good for the price. Better than Makers or Woodford. Lower alcohol content than I usually prefer, but its 92 I believe so still has a kick.
    wow, i got a big bottle of woodfords for 38 and got my bookers for 55...be a nice scavenger hunt to go find some pappy...ill definitely be going over the website with a fine tooth comb to get an idea of what the hell im looking for...

what kinda alcohol content do you prefer? ive been cutting my bookers with some distilled water, bringing it down to somewhere in the 90-95 range...i think that has a perfect kick to it...at like 120-125 i think it'd be a little too strong and not as smooth...

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm on the east coast and have never found any Pappy in the store. I'm going to start the search again today.

Load Metric
    So as a benchmark to all you guys drinking the top shelf stuff, where does a Jack Daniels Single Barrel stand? Ok, it's a Tennessee Whiskey, but it's all I have to go on.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    So as a benchmark to all you guys drinking the top shelf stuff, where does a Jack Daniels Single Barrel stand? Ok, it's a Tennessee Whiskey, but it's all I have to go on.

This is my standby that I kinda judge from. It is on the higher end side compared to Jack, Jim, Evan ect... Reasonable in price and just tasty smooth. I would say Jack is below Blantons

https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/original_single_barrel

My out getting drunk mixing bourbon in Markers Mark.

The absolute best cheap ass bourbon is Heaven Hill. I get it in DC for $12 a handle.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    I'm on the east coast and have never found any Pappy in the store. I'm going to start the search again today.
    fuck me too...that doesnt bode well...im near NYC so im hoping that in my search this weekend ill get lucky...

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    fuck me too...that doesnt bode well...im near NYC so im hoping that in my search this weekend ill get lucky...

I'm going to be in DC this weekend and I found a couple high end liquor store I'm going to check. I'll let you know.

Load Metric
    To the best of my knowledge, the Pappy line only gets released to stores maybe 2 or 3 times a year? So you kind of have to figure out when those times are. Get buddy-buddy with a liquor store and try to have them hold one for you.

Personally I find the Pappy's to be too expensive. There's plenty of bourbons in the $10/shot range (bar prices) that I think are just as good as the $20-$30 Pappys. Pappys price is inflated by the artificial scarcity they create.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I'm going to be in DC this weekend and I found a couple high end liquor store I'm going to check. I'll let you know.
    Godspeed, let me know how the hunt goes...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the Pappy line only gets released to stores maybe 2 or 3 times a year? So you kind of have to figure out when those times are. Get buddy-buddy with a liquor store and try to have them hold one for you.

Personally I find the Pappy's to be too expensive. There's plenty of bourbons in the $10/shot range (bar prices) that I think are just as good as the $20-$30 Pappys. Pappys price is inflated by the artificial scarcity they create.
    I figure it this way, trying to find the ol' everyday and then have Pappy's around for a few times a year thing...I'm now really curious to try this shit after all the pub it's getting in this thread...

Bookers is probably on the high end pricewise for the everyday, but man is that fucking shit smooth...

Thread Information