Hi everyone,

I am a long time listener to radio (from the previous site and this one, going back several years). I have listened to every single episode in the arCHives and never live. I have only posted on this site (under a different username) a couple times. But. . .

This year I a turning 40. And to celebrate, I am heading to Vegas to play in a WSOP event. Based somewhat on timing, but also on comfort I have chosen Event #20: Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better, $1500. A little bit of background.

I live in NYC. Married, 2 small children (5 and 2) and busy full-time teaching job (computer science). I used to play a lot of poker, a ton. I started around 2004 and played on party, poker room, ub (ugh), stars, and a bit on tilt. I used to be a winning player (especially on party back in the day) and built a good bank roll. As time went on and I got older, busier with work, my skills really dropped off and became a losing player online. I stopped playing online almost completely when my son was born (2008) and have only played in home games here and there as well as some charity tournaments.

I feel like my NL hold 'em skills are horribly out of date. I am pretty chicken at higher-stakes. I'm a nit. So I think a limit tournament would probably be better suited for me. I can afford $1500, but it's also probably three times more than I've ever spent on a tournament buy-in so I'm worried about playing scared. I have played a lot of limit Omaha H/L in home games as well as live (Parx poker room, Orleans) and have generally found myself to feel comfortable. I have never played an Omaha H/L tournament, however, and don't have a good sense of limit tournament strategy.

I'm looking for advice. Will I have fun playing this tournament? What is the general skill level at $1500 limit Omaha H/L. If I sell any action to friends, what is fair?

I am also considering getting some coaching, geared specifically for this tournament. Any recommendations?

Otherwise, what other tournaments or cash games might I consider playing while I'm in vegas? At this point I'm an entirely recreational (-EV) player so I'm looking for fun low to medium stakes games.

Thanks everyone.