Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Game of Thrones book dropping December: "The Wisdom and Wit of Tyrion Lannister"

Load Metric

New Game of Thrones book dropping December: "The Wisdom and Wit of Tyrion Lannister"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3200498.html

New Game Of Thrones Book: George RR Martin's 'The Wit And Wisdom Of Tyrion Lannister' Coming In December 2013

George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones-series fans will either be angry or overjoyed at HarperCollins' recent announcement: the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' author will be coming out with a new book in December, The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister.

HarperCollins confirmed this last night at their showcase of fall book titles.

The new book will apparently be a compilation of Martin's favorite of the beloved character's witty musings. Our own favorite (we even shared it on our Facebook page): "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge."

For those of you who are only vaguely familiar with the series, Tyrion Lannister, who is played by Peter Dinklage in the HBO adaptation, is the youngest of the super wealthy Lannisters. He is constantly criticized and belittled by his family, yet he is by far the nicest and most empathetic of them.

George R.R. Martin fans tend to get pretty upset when he's doing anything other than writing the next book, The Winds of Winter, in his popular series. One person called this new endeavor "the equivalent of a Christmas album."

However, seeing as Tyrion says so many hilarious, charming, smart things, considering how popular he is, and as George R.R. Martin may use the opportunity to add further insight to his character and perhaps the series in this upcoming book, we can see fans going either way.

Shrug.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

I wonder where he got that idea from.

Load Metric
    Really fucking hate him. Like seriously.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Is game of thrones GOD? Have never watched

Load Metric
    Stopped reading the books after the first one.

I prefer watching the series and being surprised. Plus, Jsearles once claimed to have read and enjoyed the books.

Load Metric
    Stopped reading the books after the first one.

I prefer watching the series and being surprised. Plus, Jsearles once claimed to have read and enjoyed the books.

Load Metric
    Kind of odd. They aren't going to make a series out of this shit so who fucking cares. Fanboys will buy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Its God, its deffo Godder than the books, which are pretty much the absolute worst at times. Annnnnd... enjoyable at others. But the lows ruin the highs for me. After the first 2 books I found myself literally skimming 60+ pages of unbelievably irrelevant and indulgent dialog at a time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Its God, its deffo Godder than the books, which are pretty much the absolute worst at times. Annnnnd... enjoyable at others. But the lows ruin the highs for me. After the first 2 books I found myself literally skimming 60+ pages of unbelievably irrelevant and indulgent dialog at a time.
    The dude is very verbose when describing certain things but you kind of get to a point where you know what to skip. I don't know I have a degree in history.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

The dude is very verbose when describing certain things but you kind of get to a point where you know what to skip. I don't know I have a degree in history.
    There there is the ghost writing, of which there is clearly much once you get into the third book.

On top of which he doesnt just squander character arcs, he does so with this total reckless abandon that serves no purpose or master beyond his own pubescent sense of nihilism.

And then, out of the blue, one character seems to flicker into life and get drawn into this vast world that deserves to be a series of 6 novels on its fucking own. And you better make the most of those because right around the time youre really sucked in and start to actually care, the chapter ends and youre confronted with a solid 80 pages of tribal politics between two tribes that didnt even exist in the last fucking book.

I really hate that corpulent pigfucker.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

There there is the ghost writing, of which there is clearly much once you get into the third book.

On top of which he doesnt just squander character arcs, he does so with this total reckless abandon that serves no purpose or master beyond his own pubescent sense of nihilism.

And then, out of the blue, one character seems to flicker into life and get drawn into this vast world that deserves to be a series of 6 novels on its fucking own. And you better make the most of those because right around the time youre really sucked in and start to actually care, the chapter ends and youre confronted with a solid 80 pages of tribal politics between two tribes that didnt even exist in the last fucking book.

This is pretty spot on. Anything to do with stannis was yawn, the sudden introduction to the supposedly important greyjoys, briennes pointless journey...lots of whofuckincares text in the last couple books. Gimme more ramsay for fucks sake.

Load Metric
    Was hoping for a book called "The Anal Retentiveness of the DragonQueen Bish"

But I digress.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by varys View Post

This is pretty spot on. Anything to do with stannis was yawn, the sudden introduction to the supposedly important greyjoys, briennes pointless journey...lots of whofuckincares text in the last couple books. Gimme more ramsay for fucks sake.

its just such a mess. its such a total obvious mess and no one is at the helm and this fucking aspie is so completely incapable of digging himself out of the pit hes in that the HBO series writers had to force him to sign a stipulation in the contract, that no matter how artlessly he butchered the universe he created, HBO would be free to write their own end game for all the characters and their plot line would be as similar or divergent from fatboys as they saw fit.

im sorry but that just says it all for me.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I think the new book will be a nice little addition to the AGot world with some funny quotes and stories. It is a shame though that there is no release date for the next book in the series as this is what everyone really wants.

Also the books themselves are a 'must read' . They offer a fantastic , rich, devious world and surpass the TV series which in itself is excellent. The books are long and often go in tangents but this in itself make them more interesting and heighten the fascination with the world. If you do indeed 'skip' parts of the book you are doing yourself no favours and will most certainly miss out interesting parts of the book.

Buy the books, watch the series and enjoy !

Load Metric
    Name:  6K4Z3Ai.gif
Views: 435
Size:  1.07 MB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty007 View Post
    I think the new book will be a nice little addition to the AGot world with some funny quotes and stories. It is a shame though that there is no release date for the next book in the series as this is what everyone really wants.

Also the books themselves are a 'must read' . They offer a fantastic , rich, devious world and surpass the TV series which in itself is excellent. The books are long and often go in tangents but this in itself make them more interesting and heighten the fascination with the world. If you do indeed 'skip' parts of the book you are doing yourself no favours and will most certainly miss out interesting parts of the book.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty007 View Post

It is obvious you have a high opinion of yourself and think you are some kind of 'superstar' on here but you are actually quite boring. Your posts reek of self indulgence. Some people have the ability to read a 300+ page book without the need to fast forward due to the attention span of a knat.

Go back to reading the beano or dandy, everyone needs to find their level .

Silver
    Load Metric
    Name:  tumblr_lsf582GtxI1r2p72to1_r1_500.gif
Views: 385
Size:  492.0 KB

Load Metric
    What I love most about George R.R. Martin fans is how virulently protective they are of their own mediocrity.

They know deep down they are one bad decision away from larping at the renaissance fair and absolutely loving it so the second someone starts to peel away the veneer of their champion, they start clawing away with their buttery fingers.

George R.R. Martin is a hack. Hes had writers block since book two. He needs, and uses, ghost writers. HBO cherry picked the foundations of his totally overblown and poorly written ejaculate and now his League of Shut-ins now are under the mistaken impression that somehow they get a pass.

But you dont get a pass, and your bad taste in literature doesnt either.

Comments

Corrigan: sonatine = god

Bronze
    Load Metric
    What I love most about George R.R. Martin fans is how virulently protective they are of their own mediocrity.

They know deep down they are one bad decision away from larping at the renaissance fair and absolutely loving it so the second someone starts to peel away the veneer of their champion, they start clawing away with their buttery fingers.

George R.R. Martin is a hack. Hes had writers block since book two. He needs, and uses, ghost writers. HBO cherry picked the foundations of his totally overblown and poorly written ejaculate and now his League of Shut-ins now are under the mistaken impression that somehow they get a pass.

But you dont get a pass, and your bad taste in literature doesnt either.

Right on Q, congratulations.

Who are you trying to convince...yourself ? Not everyone can write The Illiad, literature takes many forms, when people disagree you revert to type displaying your self indulgent tendencies.

You are not and never will be relevant. Being obscure, slightly weird and possibly creepy does not equate to some form of superiority, sad really..

Thread Information