Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sopranos was overrated.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by CJEN View Post
    The Wire was the most overrated show ever IMO.

interesting take and i want to know more.

because i tried watching it again not so long ago and i tapped out so fucking fast. i think if someone did a re-edit which basically cut out all the cops, white people, 80% of bubs and that white junkies scenes, i dont know.... maybe i could roll with it? but maybe not because its still so fucking relentlessly depressing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJEN View Post
    The Wire was the most overrated show ever IMO.

because i tried watching it again not so long ago and i tapped out so fucking fast. i think if someone did a re-edit which basically cut out all the cops, white people, 80% of bubs and that white junkies scenes, i dont know.... maybe i could roll with it? but maybe not because its still so fucking relentlessly depressing.
    I watched the last few The Wire seasons as they aired. I went about 10+ years before re-watching; and although there were elements that didn’t age well like pagers and pay phones, I still thought it was phenomenal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

I watched the last few The Wire seasons as they aired. I went about 10+ years before re-watching; and although there were elements that didn’t age well like pagers and pay phones, I still thought it was phenomenal.

it used to be something i would rewatch every 2-3 years without fail but this last trip up the mountain, i dont know man, it wasnt hitting.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    LOL remember when season 6 the writers decided hey we haven't tapped into AJ's arc enough let's give the actor we've buried for the entire series some massive story lines.

Comments

sonatine: OMG MY HUMMER BLEW UP AND I HAVE A CRUSH ON A MENTALLY ILL GIRL (50 minutes of screen time)
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    The Many Saints of Newark, marrone. Awful.

An average at best gangster film drowned by utterly needless fan service throughout.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    its incredible to me that they had like 6 years and a virtually limitless budget to nail this tomb raid and still managed to fuck it up.

absolutely guarantee they will trot out Saints 2 around spring of 2023 with a cgi tony showing up for flash backs and dream sequences.

Load Metric
    I didn’t really like the prequel. The whole race emphasis seemed so 2020/2021, and it was mainly just old callbacks to the series. I did think it was funny how the main characters in the sopranos said dickie was a drug addict just because he had pills tony asked him to get when he died. Also, fucking uncle Junior wacking him for laughing was just meh.

Load Metric
    its incredible to me that they had like 6 years and a virtually limitless budget to nail this tomb raid and still managed to fuck it up.

absolutely guarantee they will trot out Saints 2 around spring of 2023 with a cgi tony showing up for flash backs and dream sequences.
    I was a pretty big Sopranos fan, but those episodes where he was dreaming were among the worst in cinema. I think a lot of Directors always try to reclaim the glory of Taxi Driver, with Robert Deniro on the phone in the alley was filmed when he was talking. It was cheered as a huge event, something about the human mind, years later Scorsese just admitted he just stuck it in there in editing. There was no art, but fucking film students, lol, they will find anything to discuss.

Back on topic, as great at Tony taking his kid to college, the dream sequence was 100% worse. They were just out of material at that point. Series went on one too many years.

Comments

sonatine: it was a soap opera for frat boys

Load Metric
    One more thing, Tony Sopranos kid, AJ. He was infinitely smaller than Tony. That is simply not genetically possible that an offspring could be 1/4th smaller than his Dad. He should have died off of brain cancer or something, because as the series aged everyone knew he was way too small to be Tony's kid.

Load Metric
    it should have been revealed that he was actually richie's illegitimate son.

like honestly why not tho.

Load Metric
    I've always been a big fan of Sopranos. But I watched the first 40 minutes of this new thing and it was like watching paint dry.

Load Metric
    The movie got bad reviews , was going to see it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    The movie got bad reviews , was going to see it
    It's a hard pass even if you're a huge fan of the show imo.

Load Metric
    i like the fact that gandolfini's son is like yeah no im not interested in playing some other version of tony, i really like this character thats all.

the more i read about mike gandolfini the more i actually like him.

Load Metric
    honestly show tanked after they killed big pussy, never came close to recovering.

Load Metric
    honestly show tanked after they killed big pussy, never came close to recovering.
    Ratings prove you wrong as is usually the case with your takes.

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2020/12/t...ngs-recap.html

Pussy was killed at the end of S2. But of course you will come back with some answer on ratings not mattering.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Could not agree with the title of this thread more. S1 was great, the rest was terrible, apexing with that horrible season of dream sequences when we was in the hospital and we knew he was going to live BC he just signed a contract extension that was all over the news.

Fucking horrible.

Succession on the other hand...

Comments

sonatine: just dreadful stuff. a gimmicky cash grab after S1.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Could not agree with the title of this thread more. S1 was great, the rest was terrible, apexing with that horrible season of dream sequences when we was in the hospital and we knew he was going to live BC he just signed a contract extension that was all over the news.

Fucking horrible.

you can imagine d. chase looking at the contract and how the numbers went up depending on how many seasons he churned out and how his viewer numbers increased and instantly weaponizing every single character arc into a shitty meme.

chase basically admitted that he had nothing left for us after S2, no dry powder in the chamber at all.

what a waste.

btw Succession S4 is apparently the last season and honestly i hope they stick to that because that fucking show is almost perfect. maybe MAYBE they could toss us a season 5 where cox dies in the first 5 minutes and then we see the remaining principles just kinda fall back to earth and accept their fates as normal jack-off mortals or something. but if we start seeing this show go beyond that, its gonna hurt im guessing.

like i think they could stick a landing with 2 more seasons. more than that and forget it. less than that and im impressed by their discipline and commitment and probably walk away wanting more but glad it ended on a solid note.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

Fucking horrible.

you can imagine d. chase looking at the contract and how the numbers went up depending on how many seasons he churned out and how his viewer numbers increased and instantly weaponizing every single character arc into a shitty meme.

chase basically admitted that he had nothing left for us after S2, no dry powder in the chamber at all.

what a waste.

btw Succession S4 is apparently the last season and honestly i hope they stick to that because that fucking show is almost perfect. maybe MAYBE they could toss us a season 5 where cox dies in the first 5 minutes and then we see the remaining principles just kinda fall back to earth and accept their fates as normal jack-off mortals or something. but if we start seeing this show go beyond that, its gonna hurt im guessing.

like i think they could stick a landing with 2 more seasons. more than that and forget it. less than that and im impressed by their discipline and commitment and probably walk away wanting more but glad it ended on a solid note.
    But like imagine if we didn't know the full scope of Bobby Bacala's arc.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

what a waste.

But like imagine if we didn't know the full scope of Bobby Bacala's arc.

on some cutting room floor there is probably another 3 hours of consequences of his love of model trains.

Thread Information