Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sopranos was overrated.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    Well I have to agree Vikings is awesome,
    I'm in the middle of episode 8, they just took shrooms.

One of the best episodes of anything ever.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Sopranos remains one of my favorite shows... The therapist and anything involving AJ & Carmella got really boring to me though.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Artie is approximately the fucking worst.
    Artie is *supposed* to be terrible. He always wanted to be a gangster, but he was a huge pussy and nobody liked him.

This scene with Janice and Richie Aprile is one of my favorites from the show-

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: you gonna cry now

Banned
    Load Metric
    I watched the show sporadically during the initial run, it wasn't that I found it boring but I just have a hard time following TV like my tues at 8pm are always filled by X show. My friend had the complete box set and loaned it to me. I had no idea how long it was going to take me to get through it all. I went through the first few seasons fairly quickly but when the only thing you ever watch is 1 particular TV show you're going to come to a block eventually. All in all I think it came to about a years time to complete, although my friend never said it directly but I think it sort of bothered him how long it took me. He would occasionally ask me what season I was on etc and towards the end he asked me to wrap it up because he wanted the box set back.

I remember before he loaned it to me he asked me to take great care of it because he dropped like $300-$400ish on it, when I returned it to him it was still going for the same price range. Fucking HBO.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Artie is approximately the fucking worst.
    Artie is *supposed* to be terrible. He always wanted to be a gangster, but he was a huge pussy and nobody liked him.

This scene with Janice and Richie Aprile is one of my favorites from the show-

Exactly,
    They have more of these clowns hanging around than they do real mob guys these days.
    This video is Artie the loan shark, I believe Furio ends up cleaning his mess,

Now he did pound the shit out of Benny in the last season, but who didn't.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Can't believe one of the greatest shows in modern day television is getting shat on so hard.

Load Metric
    Im not saying it was garbage, Im saying its overrated. It doesnt hold up to the test of time terribly well. The character development is lopsided and clumsy, many plot lines became bloated, minor characters were promoted unnecessarily and to the detriment of the show, so on. The show had some real flaws when viewed as a cohesive tapestry. It certainly hit its share of high notes but it seems critical review of its myriad low points remains an emotionally charged topic. Because its overrated.

Comments

lol wow: terrible

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I watched about 3 seasons of it and got bored. But I'm still afraid of spoilers for some reason. I'm never going to look at this thread again.
    Pretty much th same here.
    Same with me.

Load Metric
    Im not saying it was garbage, Im saying its overrated. It doesnt hold up to the test of time terribly well. The character development is lopsided and clumsy, many plot lines became bloated, minor characters were promoted unnecessarily and to the detriment of the show, so on. The show had some real flaws when viewed as a cohesive tapestry. It certainly hit its share of high notes but it seems critical review of its myriad low points remains an emotionally charged topic. Because its overrated.

This isn't uncommon thought.

Realistically, 40% of the episodes could probably be cut or at least condensed.

Most of the '1 season guys' (Richie, Ralph, Tony B., Phil L.) are really good but pick any two, they could never have existed and the story would have been fine.

The Vito-gay thing was complete fluff, Dr. Melfi could have gone after season two etc.

That being said, Sopranos was/is awesome and I hate when faggy snobs pick things like it apart. This can be done with any show that is ~5 years old.

See you in five years when you find flaws in The Wire to blow up.

Load Metric
    i actually liked the vito/gay plot line.

the wire was cool but you had to fast forward through every scene with a white face.

Load Metric

the wire was cool but you had to fast forward through every scene with a white face.

Load Metric
    Vikings is the real deal though?

I have only heard about it through this forum., why hasn't it generated more buzz?

Load Metric

Seriously? that is the part you liked?
    Then change the thread from "it was overrated" to "it wasn't for me"

It wasn't overrated, it was rated high because it was great.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I have only heard about it through this forum., why hasn't it generated more buzz?
    It really is, I thought it was a documentary, but its like a normal cable show, (It reminds me of SOA, the main guy is jax) just in the year 1200 or whenever.

When they go raiding up the rivers, just incredible suspense, as they never know what they will run into.
    here is an article talking about it getting renewed, and "why you should watch it."
    http://www.themarysue.com/history-ch...gs-season-two/

Load Metric
    Things I wanted to happen that didn't in Sopranos:

-More Furio, although none with Carmela. That scene where he went from nice guy at party to HAM on that whorehouse is epic.

-No AJ, ever

-Why couldn't Johnny Sac have become the main foil over time? Wouldn't the (ongoing) deterioration of his relationship with Tony have been better than unleashing Phil Leotardo?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Can't really comments on The Sopranos until you have seen it front to back two times through. It takes at least that much to appreciate the real genius of characters like Ralphie.

Load Metric

It really is, I thought it was a documentary, but its like a normal cable show, (It reminds me of SOA, the main guy is jax) just in the year 1200 or whenever.

When they go raiding up the rivers, just incredible suspense, as they never know what they will run into.
    here is an article talking about it getting renewed, and "why you should watch it."
    http://www.themarysue.com/history-ch...gs-season-two/
    the photography is amazing. like *amazing* amazing. plus the actors keep it flat enough to actually be historically convincing. usually.

it gets a little dragged down with politics and intrigue but overall im a sucker for dece period pieces and this is a super dece period piece.

Load Metric

Seriously? that is the part you liked?
    Then change the thread from "it was overrated" to "it wasn't for me"

It wasn't overrated, it was rated high because it was great.

that whole plot line hung off him merc'ing that civilian in the base of the skull after he rear ended his car. on the basis of that scene alone, i enjoyed that plot line.

also i think we are forgetting that most of the sopranos is based off real life mob drama. except the super banal shit with his kids and fagwhore wife.

but yeah i would have preferred the vito/gay shit wasnt so camp, with the leather and the motorcycles and all that shit. but mobsters getting wacked for being gay is absurdly common, it was interesting to see them approach it.

Load Metric
    Things I wanted to happen that didn't in Sopranos:

-More Furio, although none with Carmela. That scene where he went from nice guy at party to HAM on that whorehouse is epic.

-No AJ, ever

-Why couldn't Johnny Sac have become the main foil over time? Wouldn't the (ongoing) deterioration of his relationship with Tony have been better than unleashing Phil Leotardo?
    - meadow and law school
    - meadow and black boyfriend
    - meadow should have hung herself after aprille jr gets capped... shit, or before
    - any scene with artie
    - phil leatardo went ham too fast
    - janice after she killed whats his face.
    - fuck janice before she killed whats his face, we could have dealt with her in one episode.
    - give me a lot more of the other crews in general
    - omfg that whole deal with the rapper, gtfo
    - the credit card skimming plot at the restaura- oh wait, artie plot. GTFO.
    - at least an entire season dedicated to the russians and the russians alone

Load Metric

(It reminds me of SOA, the main guy is jax) just in the year 1200 or whenever.

Thread Information