Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sopranos was overrated.

Load Metric
    Does anyone remember like 4 years ago when jaces opinion on things wasn't considered a total joke

Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Fucking deal with it fags.
    Disagree, I saw an episode last night out of randomness, some of the best acting I have seen in a while, I forgot how good it was. It's a fucking shame James Gandolfini dropped dead at age 51. Honestly, he could have been the next Marlon Brando. I say that with reservation, because Apocalypse Now and The Godfather were the two greatest cinematic pieces of all time.

Load Metric
    i actually liked the vito/gay plot line.

the wire was cool but you had to fast forward through every scene with a white face.
    The cops def made it the easy reason to say Breaking Bad was better.

Ohhhh, a black and white guy partner up on the force. Ohhhh, the rogue cop has issues with his superiors. Ohhhh, the cop's irish and has a drinking problem. Ohhhh, the cop's divorced and is getting too old for this shit. etc

Load Metric
    im not ready to say breaking bad was better than the wire because despite everything you said being written in biblical stones true, pretty much every single scene in the wire that didnt have white people in it was transcendent.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    it also had this footage from my birthday party, which i celebrate literally every day of my life

Comments

michael: you still like females dontcha lol

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    note that neither the wire nor breaking bad had a single scene with AJ moping, making them both technically superior to the sopranos series.

Load Metric
    note that neither the wire nor breaking bad had a single scene with AJ moping, making them both technically superior to the sopranos series.
    I liked sopranos, kids that watch it fresh today tell me it's fun.

I think Chase said he originally meant it to work as a comedy almost, so watching it through that lens helps. The characters are so dumb and simultaneously shitty, it's great.

Def not BB/Wire however.

Another thing about BB that puts it ahead for me is the cinematography, and directing. Some scenes just straight up look like There Will Be Blood pretty, and some episodes are direted like a coen brothers film

Load Metric
    thats frightfully tall praise. perhaps comparing it to Paul Thomas Anderson is a bit much but i appreciate your enthusiasm.

i think what kinda soured me on BB was that at the end of the day, Walt was a real piece of shit and made stupid decisions. and i dont really go balls deep emotionally for shows that hang ten on that wave, and there are a lot of them.

you touch upon an important point re chase's vision; youre right of course, it did start out as kind of a campy take on those noir gangster movies, eg

and then as the show went on, they realized they had a hit on their hands so they needed to stretch it out and milk it, but they werent clever enough to make that work as a comedy so they fell back on pure drama.

sorry but thats weak as fuck.

look at Leftovers on HBO; three seasons and probably the greatest series finale in cable tv history. that show fucks. why? it had the discipline to follow its equation and stick the landing instead of hanging out and turning into the old creepy guy in the club, which is exactly what sopranos was for like 3 straight seasons at least.

Comments

michael: i literally didnt watch s2 or s3 of leftovers but im on it now

LarryLaffer: ever had our sausages?

Load Metric
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    thats frightfully tall praise. perhaps comparing it to Paul Thomas Anderson is a bit much but i appreciate your enthusiasm.

i think what kinda soured me on BB was that at the end of the day, Walt was a real piece of shit and made stupid decisions. and i dont really go balls deep emotionally for shows that hang ten on that wave, and there are a lot of them.

you touch upon an important point re chase's vision; youre right of course, it did start out as kind of a campy take on those noir gangster movies, eg

and then as the show went on, they realized they had a hit on their hands so they needed to stretch it out and milk it, but they werent clever enough to make that work as a comedy so they fell back on pure drama.

sorry but thats weak as fuck.

look at Leftovers on HBO; three seasons and probably the greatest series finale in cable tv history. that show fucks. why? it had the discipline to follow its equation and stick the landing instead of hanging out and turning into the old creepy guy in the club, which is exactly what sopranos was for like 3 straight seasons at least.
    Sadly this. I'm still rather fond of it but imagine it will have gotten long in the tooth if i rewatch.

Ive heard too much about Leftovers to keep avoiding. I initially bailed after like 4 or 5 episodes but have heard nothing but rave reviews since it concluded.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Leftovers is worth gutting through. There is a larger conversation to be had but I hate setting expectations on high-art like this.

Load Metric
    bump

Silver
    Load Metric
    I bet you would just looooooove Ozarks lol.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Get Shorty on Epix is the best show out right now. I didn't give it a chance at first because I'd never seen a show that didn't suck with the same name as a movie before. Also I expected to totally hate Narcos once the only character I could identify with died but then Jorge happened and it turned out to be not terrible.

Load Metric
    OH MY GOD GUYS CARM HAS A COLD AND AJ CNAT BRING HER A BREAKFAST TRAY WITHOUT SPILLING THE OJ EVERYWHERE HES SO AWKWARD BUt ITS JUST THAT AGE I GUESS LOL

Load Metric
    the best is when AJ asks Carm if he can go online and she's using the only modem line in the house.

oh those were the days
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    if you nerds ever feel trolled by tine just know this is how dumb he is on a macro level

Load Metric
    also in case you dick sucks forgot part one

Thread Information