Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vikings

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    I heard that Sigurd outlived Ivar irl.
    yeah pretty sure ivar died of some weird euro plague. like probably next season.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Fucking wow.

Here in the states we get an abridged version of the show. There were scenes in the UK airing tonight that did not appear in ours.

FUCKING TRUMP.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    As much as I have thoroughly enjoyed the show, I am not sure they will be able to keep me inspired going forward. It seems like it will be the same plots, over and over.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    As much as I have thoroughly enjoyed the show, I am not sure they will be able to keep me inspired going forward. It seems like it will be the same plots, over and over.

It also went from a show about amazing interesting people experiencing fascinating new worlds and being changed by them / changing them, to a Viking soap opera to a large extent.

TL;DR: this was a weird season.

Next season could be amazing because we have opportunities to get back to the theme of world building and change with Bjorn, Floki, and Rollo. But Ivar doesnt interest me at this point, and after actually seeing Rhys Meyers in action last night I'm worried hes just going to be doing his usual hyper-emoting jig instead of introducing us to the birth of the Templar movement in an engaging way.

Also fun fact, yes Ragnar's son was called 'boneless', but 'boneless' in their old language did not mean crippled or somehow without bones, it meant agile. So making him a cripple who can apparently ride a fucking chariot through the woods at high speeds without hitting a fucking root (seriously..?) and making him the worst person on the show by light years are both really fucking stupid inventions, and also kind of undermines the true story of him, which is that he went on to be one of the great viking legends and a tremendously wise leader.

However...!

He dies in England. He gets sick and dies. Soon. Like probably in the last half of the next season.

Load Metric
    Show is better than anything else on now. Looking forward to their next season that GOT's next.

Hoping somebody can help me out. Last couple of minutes was a funeral then the priest(?) banging the widow(?). No one looked familuar. WTF was all that about?
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Show is better than anything else on now. Looking forward to their next season that GOT's next.

Hoping somebody can help me out. Last couple of minutes was a funeral then the priest(?) banging the widow(?). No one looked familuar. WTF was all that about?

A tickler.

Load Metric
    NEXT SEASON STARTS NOVEMBER 29.

TWO HOUR PREMIER, FOLLOWED BY EIGHT EPISODES EVERY WED NIGHT, WITH AN ADDITIONAL 10 EPISODES AIRING IN 2018.

Load Metric
    also, another 20 eps have been signed for season 6.

Load Metric
    Can't wait!

Comments

sonatine: ikr?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    UHHHHHHHHH FLOKI QUIETLY CONVERTING TO ISLAM IS THE GREATEST GODDAMNED MOMENT IN TELEVISION HISTORY

guys seriously how fucking weird is life?

literally just happened:

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-word...burial-clothes

Ancient burial clothes thought to have been woven with typical Viking patterns have, after decades in storage, revealed a surprise: geometric Kufic script spelling out the words "Ali" and "Allah," woven in silver thread onto silk.

Comments

Suicide King: You called it

Load Metric
    NEXT SEASON STARTS NOVEMBER 29.

TWO HOUR PREMIER, FOLLOWED BY EIGHT EPISODES EVERY WED NIGHT, WITH AN ADDITIONAL 10 EPISODES AIRING IN 2018.

LITERALLY 5 DAYS AWAY.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Looks like the NFC North is theirs to lose amirite?
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ill preface by saying i have avoided reading any threads or posts about Vikings. Im posting here but i literally did not read one post, and im glad i didnt.

Just started watching this series a couple of days ago. Im not sure why I avoided it for so long but im pleasantly surprised and glad i have something good to watch

Show is fantastic so far imo. Im only about 5 episodes in, but I can see why everyone loves this show and why it has such good reviews. Seems very promising to me and i am on a straight path to keep watching.

Funny note. I was looking for a solid place to watch it all from the beginning (ie Netflix, Amazon etc). I found Hulu had it so i decided to subscribe to the "free month" with the "discounted package" of...get ready for it..."LIMITED COMMERCIALS"

Name:  Larry-David-Laughter-on-Couch-1.gif
Views: 258
Size:  1.28 MB

Holy shit that was the biggest joke ive ever seen. There was like 4 stops in one episode, with at least 3 commercials per stop! To top it off, there was a big delay immediately after the stop before the commercials started...almost like they designed it to fucking irritate you to the point that hopefully you would sign up for the bigger/commercial free package.

I did a little google searching and it turns out i wasnt nearly the only one with this problem and its likely my suspicions were valid.

I couldnt cancel HULU fast enough and I already found excellent torrents....

Load Metric
    Finally saw the first two episodes tonight. Really just one long episode. Guess they call it two to get more episodes in.

Having a hard time figuring who the new people are vs the old ones. Thought it was cool when they killed off Ragnar, but damn, at least I knew who he was. Rollo is gone to a different series. Looks like a lot of violence for this season. Hope Lagertha gets killed off this season, getting bored with her. The Floki "Lost in Space" story line could be interesting.

Pretty good first (2) episodes, still better than GoT.

Load Metric
    Best in the league. Style strength and speed.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Finally saw the first two episodes tonight. Really just one long episode. Guess they call it two to get more episodes in.

Having a hard time figuring who the new people are vs the old ones. Thought it was cool when they killed off Ragnar, but damn, at least I knew who he was. Rollo is gone to a different series. Looks like a lot of violence for this season. Hope Lagertha gets killed off this season, getting bored with her. The Floki "Lost in Space" story line could be interesting.

Pretty good first (2) episodes, still better than GoT.

Holy shit you are fucking retarded

Comments

herbertstemple: Fuck off

Load Metric
    sooooooo.... thoughts so far

JRM is actually a welcome addition so far and his fencing is on fucking fleek so there is that.

id prefer they just did an entire episode with nothing but Floki but at this point i honestly wish the entire show was nothing but Floki.

king harold, dont care.

bjorn, care a little but honestly im not sure where things are going with him.

the older brother who suddenly is doing his best to act like travis fimmel is bugging me and his little brother is bad but really, the absolute worst element in this entire show is....

... fucking ivar man.

gtfo with the steampunk bullshit.

the only and i mean only redemptive feature to the ivar plot at this point is that there is finally nothing keeping him from going totally piss wild and dick jousting with JRM for the rest of the season. and that might be interesting.

i really worry that within an ep or two we are going to see Floki flourishing and then suddenly the camera cuts to him exhaling his last breath and it was all in his dying head yada yada because seriously if Floki doesnt end up in a mosque someday they will have squandered easily the most interesting plot seed this show ever had. take Floki off the chessboard, take Ivar and the other younger brother off, and suddenly this whole fucking show is about king harold's bright future and bjorn shopping for fancy silk hats or some shit and thats really not what i signed up for.

Load Metric
    im completely losing my shit.

i looked up the history of iceland, i was curious if it was populated when floki was there and i swear to god:

860s: Flóki Vilgerðarson, the great Norwegian Viking known as Hrafna-Flóki (Ravens-Floki), spends two winters in Iceland. During the cold spring, Flóki sees a fjord full of sea ice northwards and names the land Ísland - Iceland. The summer after, he sails back to Norway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrafna...ger%C3%B0arson

MY LOST SHIT'S SIDES ARE IN ORBIT.

Comments

Suicide King: Floki is god

herbertstemple: +1

Load Metric
    im not going to say im not enjoying the show since ragnar left us, but i will say it hasnt exactly aged well since his departure.

two main complaints -

1) im not super into the whole 'adventure show' vibe that bjorn and pal are conjuring. and everything about the 'cliffhanger' they left us with last week was obvious and dumb and pretty much the exact opposite of the mushroom sacrifice sequence, which is basically the exact moment i realized the show was something genuinely exceptional.

2) im really, really tired of playing 'ooo the vikings are so clever and smart and outwit the sloppy arrogant english at every turn' card. that whole element of the boneless plotline is just fucking dumb, and him dressing like hes in a marilyn manson video doesnt help.

also i cant help but notice that no one really gives a shit about the spiritual side of viking life except floki now, and floki is (lets be honest) batshit as mentioned in the show.. so are they saying that within 20 year of ragnar's self imposed exile, everyone just kinda peaced out on their core spirituality?

because true story thats wack attack and if its intentional than its not being handled very deftly.

Comments

Tellafriend: Just had the same discussion w the wife

Load Metric
    im completely losing my shit.

i looked up the history of iceland, i was curious if it was populated when floki was there and i swear to god:

860s: Flóki Vilgerðarson, the great Norwegian Viking known as Hrafna-Flóki (Ravens-Floki), spends two winters in Iceland. During the cold spring, Flóki sees a fjord full of sea ice northwards and names the land Ísland - Iceland. The summer after, he sails back to Norway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrafna...ger%C3%B0arson

MY LOST SHIT'S SIDES ARE IN ORBIT.
    Wonder if this was the plan when the show was created or just one hell of a coincidence?

im not going to say im not enjoying the show since ragnar left us, but i will say it hasnt exactly aged well since his departure.

two main complaints -

1) im not super into the whole 'adventure show' vibe that bjorn and pal are conjuring. and everything about the 'cliffhanger' they left us with last week was obvious and dumb and pretty much the exact opposite of the mushroom sacrifice sequence, which is basically the exact moment i realized the show was something genuinely exceptional.

2) im really, really tired of playing 'ooo the vikings are so clever and smart and outwit the sloppy arrogant english at every turn' card. that whole element of the boneless plotline is just fucking dumb, and him dressing like hes in a marilyn manson video doesnt help.

also i cant help but notice that no one really gives a shit about the spiritual side of viking life except floki now, and floki is (lets be honest) batshit as mentioned in the show.. so are they saying that within 20 year of ragnar's self imposed exile, everyone just kinda peaced out on their core spirituality?

because true story thats wack attack and if its intentional than its not being handled very deftly.
    I think they have done a decent job of replacing Ragnar was killed off. The sons have taken up the slack for the most part, though it is difficult to find one to pull for. Yeah, the Vikings in the Middle East is difficult to believe, but if it really happened, it at least belongs. But talk about a fish out of water.

The big loss is they also killed off King Ecbert who has not been replaced at all. He added a lot of political intrigue & twists, was an interesting character & very well acted. His son has never been interesting, instead has always been naive & stupid. He keeps falling for Ivar's tricks & in the last episode it was hard to believe. Is he ever going to learn?

Thread Information