Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have bought 100% of DonkDown, and it will be shut down completely on Monday

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I have bought 100% of DonkDown, and it will be shut down completely on Monday

Some of you might remember that I made a public offer a few weeks ago to buy 100% of DonkDown at the same rate per percent that I originally sold it. I won't get into exact numbers, but that would work out to about $5,000 to purchase 100% of the site from Micon.

Micon didn't even bother dignifying it with a response, as he had no desire to sell.

That's why I was really surprised to get a call from him last night, offering me the entire site for 10k.

This wasn't an easy decision. While I can easily afford the 10k, frankly I don't believe it's worth anywhere near that anymore, especially with the recent departures of myself, Brandon, and several regular posters over the past 6 months.

However, this wasn't a decision just based upon money. I've never been happy about having to walk away from that site after all the time and effort I put into it. It was my online home for so many years, and it was extremely difficult to just walk away. Here I finally had the opportunity to get it back, and for an amount that I used to win and lose within an hour at the 200/400 game on Pokerstars.

After about 24 hours of soul searching, I decided to throw caution to the wind and do it.

However, I also decided that keeping DD running would be too time consuming and also rather redundant, given the existence of this site.

I came to the decision that it was best to keep one site and shut the other down, redirecting the closed one to the site that remained. As much as I always loved DD, the choice was obvious. DD is like that 40-year-old basketball player who was once great, but now is a shell of his former self, and everyone just wishes would retire and save his legacy. This site is like the fresh-faced rookie who needs to develop, but has a lot of potential for the future. I decided it was indeed time to put the old DD horse down.

I called Micon and informed him of my plans, and he predictably objected. He called DD his "baby" and said that he thought he was selling it to me to stay intact and continue running. He said that he wouldn't sell if my plans were to close it down. I told him that I had planned to roll the DD forum posts into this place, but that wasn't good enough for him. We finally came to the following compromise:

- I will buy DD for 10k, which I will deposit into his bank account on Monday once the papers are signed and notarized.

- Upon the sale's completion, I will take all of DD's forum posts, and integrate them into this forum. However, the DD forums will be read-only, simply for archival purposes. You won't be able to post on them here.

- DD will redirect over to this site. I will also "roll" all users from there into our database, unless those users already have accounts here.

- Micon will be given admin powers on this site, but I will have all decision-making power.

- Micon will be allowed to have his picture on the top of this site (I'm not going to bother with mine), but he has agreed to take a new picture without that awful "beehive" on his head.

- Micon will be a co-host on this site's new radio program. He has agreed to allow me to both control the show and to let it run as long as I feel like running it.

- Micon has been banned from saying "Like a boss" and "Yeah buddy" on the radio show. He is allowed to put a loud emphasis on the word "BACK" if he so chooses.

- The intro music will be my choice this time, and will typically either be classic rock from 1975-1989, or occasionally country music. There will be no more awful hip-hop at the beginning of the radio show.

- I have agreed not to have Brandon as a co-host for as long as Micon is my co-host.

- Micon has agreed to pay attention throughout the show, and will not do household chores or play bitcoin poker in the background while we're broadcasting. He has also agreed never to put Crazier Mike on our show.

- Loren will be fired and will not be part of the staff of this site.

- There will still be no mods on this site, aside from Micon. All DD mods will become regular users here.

- I will be allowed to ban users from DD that I don't want over here.

- Micon will not be allowed to promote Seals with Clubs on this site, and they will not be a sponsor. This is due to the fact that the site has major security problems.

While some of you might be skeptical about my decision, I feel it's the right thing to do. There simply aren't enough active users to keep two similar forums afloat. This both will preserve the history of our community while allowing it to get a fresh start. To me, $10,000 is well worth it to accomplish that, especially because I finally get closure regarding the ugly situation that caused me to leave DD in the first place.

I will post updates on Monday when the deal is complete.

Load Metric
    April Fools day

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post
    April Fools day
    Yup same thing I was thinking.

But if not, good luck!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

After about 24 hours of soul searching, I decided to throw caution to the wind and do it.

Load Metric
    This could have worked had Druff spent a couple weeks setting it up.

Load Metric
    He should have announced a radio show, and got on air and screamed April Fools.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    This could have worked had Druff spent a couple weeks setting it up.
    He needs to be committed if he shells out 5K for DD...

Load Metric
    Please, for the love of God(the real God & not Jewdonk), let this be an April Fool's joke.

Micon with admin powers would be a bad decision.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Anyway Druff that was a pretty good April Fools prank but cmon man having Micon on the banner really killed your action on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    In-congruent. How the hell will DD be both an archive AND redirect to PFA?

Work harder next year.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    He got me, but I did just get up after putting in lots of hours of hard drinking last night. Well done Druff, good post anyways. "Loren will be fired", LOL.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pretty good joke though...But Todd under estimates his site members to be so easily fooled...Only smart people visit "Poker Fraud Alert"...And are savvy enough to see through this...

Load Metric
    You know what I find the most funny about this joke. That it has taken 3 hours for anyone to post this on DD. What would make this a HOF level would have been if Druff logged in and posted this on DD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric

Bronze
    Load Metric
    in a perfect world.....great april 1 level druff

Load Metric
    Micon photo was the giveaway

Load Metric
    I was buying this until the first mention of Micon being a part of this site, then I remembered what day it is and the light bulb went on.

wp Druff
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Load Metric
    he got me, for about 1 minute.
    I had just read about famous april fools jokes too, so I can't even use that excuse.

Load Metric

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Goddam it I fell for that 100%.

Actually it was pretty believable and not a bad idea tbh.

:rolled

Thread Information