Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Hard Rock holding a $10 million guarantee tournament... $5k buy-in (?) in August

Load Metric

Hollywood Hard Rock holding a $10 million guarantee tournament... $5k buy-in, in August

It's official, the Hollywood Seminole Hard Rock confirmed it is holding a $10 million guarantee tournament in August. This is definitely not one of my favorite rooms. Last year they cancelled a tournament guarantee (where there was likely going to be overlay) and blamed it on an impending hurricane (which in reality only created a drizzle). So they are now scheduling a giant guarantee tournament in the middle of hurricane season.

It's not official (I don't see anything on their website or twitter account) but my sources are saying that it will be a $5k buy-in with 3 starting days. It makes sense that people would know this because they announced that they're opening up registration on 4/15 (today), so people in the area should be able to find out this information. I sort of doubt that they'll be able to get 2,000 people to show up for a $5k, but it could be one of the softest $5ks regardless. When I first heard about this tournament I assumed it would be a $10k and I didn't have interest in playing it. But if it's a $5k I might have to go for it, or at least try to satellite in to it.

As far as I know, it is not affiliated with the WPT or the WSOP. They're simply calling it "Inaugural Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open"
    Last edited by PLOL; 04-15-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Confirmed by Kevmath now.

Some details of the $10m GTD @SHRThePokerRoom Poker Open - Main Event is $5,300, running August 22-29
    I guess if they do get 2k entrants, they'll make $600k, lol. Tournament will be held in the ballroom.

30k starting chips and 60 minute levels
    Last edited by PLOL; 04-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    It's official, the Hollywood Seminole Hard Rock confirmed it is holding a $10 million guarantee tournament in August. This is definitely not one of my favorite rooms. Last year they cancelled a tournament guarantee (where there was likely going to be overlay) and blamed it on an impending hurricane (which in reality only created a drizzle). So they are now scheduling a giant guarantee tournament in the middle of hurricane season.

It's not official (I don't see anything on their website or twitter account) but my sources are saying that it will be a $5k buy-in with 3 starting days. It makes sense that people would know this because they announced that they're opening up registration on 4/15 (today), so people in the area should be able to find out this information. I sort of doubt that they'll be able to get 2,000 people to show up for a $5k, but it could be one of the softest $5ks regardless. When I first heard about this tournament I assumed it would be a $10k and I didn't have interest in playing it. But if it's a $5k I might have to go for it, or at least try to satellite in to it.

As far as I know, it is not affiliated with the WPT or the WSOP. They're simply calling it "Inaugural Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open"
    dog days of summer sweltering heat and humidity a few weeks after the WSOP ME is over
    they may end up getting 1K peeps and drop it down to $5 million G and drop a day one and probably still do well in the current poker environment imho
    $300 vig is overcharging
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They could make it a re-entry so they will get some more money from that but regardless good luck getting 2k entrants in dying poker economy.

Load Metric
    They take overlays out of the jackpot drop, but if they miss it by a few million that's a whole lot to take out of the jackpot fund.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric

If you stake me, I will cover all expenses and only take 25%. Go win some satellites.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

If you stake me, I will cover all expenses and only take 25%. Go win some satellites.

I'll prob play regardless and sell a little bit
    TRUMP 2024!

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Do they accept $Twink dollars?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    They could make it a re-entry so they will get some more money from that but regardless good luck getting 2k entrants in dying poker economy.
    For sure there will be re-entries.

I would presume this will draw in most of the top pros.

I am curious what the structure will be.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

30k chips with 60 minute levels. It will go for a long time. Not sure of exact blind structure, but assume it'll be pretty decent. Aug 22nd thru 29th with 3 starting days would seem to indicate that it will last 6 days
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric

Obv will be re-entries (and possibly give the ability to direct buy in to day 2), but if most people are making day 2 then there prob aren't going to be a ton of re-entries.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Obv will be re-entries (and possibly give the ability to direct buy in to day 2), but if most people are making day 2 then there prob aren't going to be a ton of re-entries.
    I would think the proper play (especially if from out of the area) is to observe the Day 1a entries and then decide if you're going to play on the second day. Then just wait it out until registration is closing at the final moments and decide if it's worth it.

Given the $300 entry fee on top of the $5k buyin, it's neutral EV for an average player (compared to the other entrants) if there are 1887 entries. So that's the magic number to look for.

Unless they draw fewer than 1500, it's probably not worth it unless you were planning upon playing anyway.

Remember that you also have to factor in your travel expenses, if you're from out of the area. For example, if you spend $1000 getting there and staying in hotels, at that point more than 1587 entrants makes it -EV for you unless you are above average skill-wise compared to everyone else.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also Florida is terrrrrrrrrrrrible in August, so you pretty much won't want to go outside and sightsee if you bust. The whole southern US and Caribbean is hot and humid in August, so you really don't want to be there for anything else.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I would think the proper play (especially if from out of the area) is to observe the Day 1a entries and then decide if you're going to play on the second day. Then just wait it out until registration is closing at the final moments and decide if it's worth it.

Given the $300 entry fee on top of the $5k buyin, it's neutral EV for an average player (compared to the other entrants) if there are 1887 entries. So that's the magic number to look for.

Unless they draw fewer than 1500, it's probably not worth it unless you were planning upon playing anyway.

Remember that you also have to factor in your travel expenses, if you're from out of the area. For example, if you spend $1000 getting there and staying in hotels, at that point more than 1587 entrants makes it -EV for you unless you are above average skill-wise compared to everyone else.
    dude,..it's 10 million..not 1 million.....which jackass's pony up 10k for a chance to win

Load Metric
    Also Florida is terrrrrrrrrrrrible in August, so you pretty much won't want to go outside and sightsee if you bust. The whole southern US and Caribbean is hot and humid in August, so you really don't want to be there for anything else.
    I got myself some of these last summer:
    http://www.amazon.com/So-Fresh-Dry-B...ds=fresh+balls
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Courtesy of Scott Long @ Ante Up http://www.anteupmagazine.com/forum/...e6d1ba41d30c8c

It's a monster guarantee, no doubt. Seminole Gaming is a smart, smart company, though. I don't imagine that they decided to do this on a whim, so they have to have a strategy that leads them to believe that they will cover this guarantee.

A couple of reasons to believe that they will be successful in doing so:
    1. They have five other poker rooms in Florida, and it sounds like all will be running satellites for the event.
    2. In Florida, you can use the player promotional fund, or jackpot rake, to help meet a guarantee by giving away seats to the event or, more likely, seats to satellites to the event, via high hands or other promotions. I'd imagine they'd start shifting their promotions fairly soon to support this event.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbk View Post
    Courtesy of Scott Long @ Ante Up http://www.anteupmagazine.com/forum/...e6d1ba41d30c8c

It's a monster guarantee, no doubt. Seminole Gaming is a smart, smart company, though. I don't imagine that they decided to do this on a whim, so they have to have a strategy that leads them to believe that they will cover this guarantee.

A couple of reasons to believe that they will be successful in doing so:
    1. They have five other poker rooms in Florida, and it sounds like all will be running satellites for the event.
    2. In Florida, you can use the player promotional fund, or jackpot rake, to help meet a guarantee by giving away seats to the event or, more likely, seats to satellites to the event, via high hands or other promotions. I'd imagine they'd start shifting their promotions fairly soon to support this event.
    very optimistic
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    I started out thinking they might not be able to meet the guarantee, but I think they'll be able to cover it. Perhaps even get it over $12 million. This will become the biggest event outside of the World Series. Also, I love that they made it a $5k. $5ks are the new $10ks in Obama's America.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric

You do realize that lots of people like to actually be outside in the heat.

Not everyone is a poker playing albino who only goes out into the sun if it's 80~ or below.

Oh wait, we are talking about a bunch of poker playing albinos.

delete
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Here's the full schedule of events:
    http://www.seminolehardrockhollywood...ing/poker-open

There will be a $560, $1 million gtd tournament and a $350 $500k gtd tournament. My guess is both of those will smash the guarantee. Palm Beach had a $560, $1m tournament that got almost 3000 runners during the WSOPc. The structure sheet, re-entry parameters, and pay-out table are due to be released early this week.
    TRUMP 2024!

Thread Information