Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: abrown83's Weight Loss Extravaganza

Load Metric

abrown83's Weight Loss Extravaganza

A friend pointed me to HealthyWage.com the other day.

I knew I had finally found my calling for losing weight.....GAMBLING!

At 6'1" 236.5lbs (more on that in a minute) I qualified for two different challenges on the HealthyWage site.

1. Pay $100 and lose 10% of your body weight in 6 months. If successful they will pay you $200.

2. Pay $300 and go from Obese to a Healthy BMI in a year. If successful they will pay you $1,000.

I decided on the $300 for a $1000 and set out on a plan.

First I had to go to a doctors office or local health club that participates to weigh in. I strategically waited until just after lunch in order to weigh in.

I am now started full blast on a totally new diet.

1. I cut out all pop (soda for some of you, and Coke for the Southern hicks). I used to drink at least two 32oz fountain pops a day, plus maybe some with dinner. I figure this is easily 800 calories a day (or almost two pounds of weight loss a week by itself). I already have massive headaches and want to kill somebody but I am sure it will pass in a couple days.

2. I started eating breakfast. One packet of instant oatmeal, one banana, one low calorie protein bar, 8oz of skim milk, 8oz of orange juice.

3. Lunch is between a 1/4 and a 1/3 of a up of raw almonds. Spinach salad with carrots, cabbage, broccoli, no dressing (this is borderline terrible to eat).

4. Afternoon snack usually a few raw almonds (maybe 5 to 10) and carrots or celery.

5. Dinner is still a bit of a crap shoot as I have to eat with my wife. Trying to prepare less red meat dishes and more pork/chicken dishes. Then just trying to be smart, like not putting cheese on my tacos the other night.

6. No eating after 8PM (usually in bed at 11:30).

7. I have a 32oz cup at work that I now fill with water. My goal is to drink three of those a day. Plus water at lunch and dinner should get me to a gallon a day.

I have started to add in an evening walk (from no exercise before).

Next week I will be adding in morning stationery bike rides for 20-30 minutes.

Hopefully once the weather breaks I can replace stationery bike a couple times a week with runs around the small ponds that we live around.

I picked my diet and path to success totally on everything I have read on these forums over the years. If I am missing something or doing something wrong I would be welcome to advice.

Weigh-ins will come weekly in this thread, most likely on Sunday's.

Load Metric
    lol fat people

Load Metric
    This weight loss thing is getting out of control, you don't see me making threads about it and I started before all y'all.

Nobody cares.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I would choose death over that diet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs9Dizzle View Post
    This weight loss thing is getting out of control, you don't see me making threads about it and I started before all y'all.

Nobody cares.
    We do care, we want pics.

OP, look at the carbs in that instant oatmeal package. Those are terribad. If you buy old fashioned (large flake) uncooked oatmeal. Then put 1/2 cup of it in a large coffee mug, cover with water and put in the microwave for 2 min. Then add some low carb greek yougart for flavor (plus fruit if you like). It's way better for you, much less carbs, cheaper, and will fill you up and keep you from being hungry until lunch.
    Last edited by Deal; 04-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: fruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

Nobody cares.

OP, look at the carbs in that instant oatmeal package. Those are terribad. If you buy old fashioned (large flake) uncooked oatmeal. Then put 1/2 cup of it in a large coffee mug, cover with water and put in the microwave for 2 min. Then add some low carb greek yougart for flavor. It's way better for you, much less carbs, cheaper, and will fill you up and keep you from being hungry until lunch.
    One packet has bout 150 calories in it, didn't look at the carbs, will look tonight.

My thought process was to make my biggest meal of the day breakfast calories wise.

I would rather just cut it out entirely instead of old fashioned oatmeal and greek yogurt. I am already forcing myself to eat no dressing spinach salad, that's torture enough.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchJew View Post
    lol fat people
    How's your German?

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchJew View Post
    lol fat people
    lol French people
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    gl abrown. What weight do you have to get to be healthy BMI.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    gl abrown. What weight do you have to get to be healthy BMI.

Which is crazy because I have very broad shoulders....my ribs are still visible when standing up straight.

My daily walking weight hasn't been sub 190 since I was 15.

Load Metric
    Update?

Also their wording seems pretty sneaky. The wager seems to be that you have to have lost the weight after a year, not within a year. Clearly the former is a lot harder as you could lose the weight after 6 months but then you have to keep all the weight off.
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric
    A few years ago I did the lemon juice fast for 6 days then continued to diet. Lost 53 pound in 6 weeks. 1 year later gained 30 back, but hey I am still ahead of the game.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Update?

Also their wording seems pretty sneaky. The wager seems to be that you have to have lost the weight after a year, not within a year. Clearly the former is a lot harder as you could lose the weight after 6 months but then you have to keep all the weight off.
    I had a Life Insurance nurse over last Friday and I was 224.4lbs on her scale.

I got a puppy a week ago. This has added two long brisk walks to my routine every day as well, but has really fucked with my sleep schedule as he adjusts.

The first 12lbs have come with minimal exercise, but I have added in 10 minutes of stretching a day and on Wednesday I added in a rowing machine which I am going to try and do MWF for 20-30 minutes each time.

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Rat View Post
    A few years ago I did the lemon juice fast for 6 days then continued to diet. Lost 53 pound in 6 weeks. 1 year later gained 30 back, but hey I am still ahead of the game.
    a friend of mine went on the cardboard diet, lost 60lbs in 2 months

put it back on in less than a month though

he wasnt giggling

Bronze
    Load Metric

Nobody cares.

OP, look at the carbs in that instant oatmeal package. Those are terribad. If you buy old fashioned (large flake) uncooked oatmeal. Then put 1/2 cup of it in a large coffee mug, cover with water and put in the microwave for 2 min. Then add some low carb greek yougart for flavor (plus fruit if you like). It's way better for you, much less carbs, cheaper, and will fill you up and keep you from being hungry until lunch.
    Complex carbs (oatmeal) are always OK as long as they are consumed either in the morning for breakfast or immediately following a workout. They help kick start your metabolism in the morning along with the rest of your breakfast.

*giggling*
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post

Complex carbs (oatmeal) are always OK as long as they are consumed either in the morning for breakfast or immediately following a workout. They help kick start your metabolism in the morning along with the rest of your breakfast.
    actually, one is better off consuming hi GI carbs, as it replaces the the depleted glycogen a lot quicker.Thats assuming your workout was intense enough to start with

imo its simple

calories in, calories out

and use common sense and eat a well balanced diet, thats all

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffer View Post

actually, one is better off consuming hi GI carbs, as it replaces the the depleted glycogen a lot quicker.Thats assuming your workout was intense enough to start with

imo its simple

calories in, calories out

and use common sense and eat a well balanced diet, thats all
    I never made a claim that one type of carb was better than another. I was pointing out that he could consume his oatmeal, because that was the topic, both in the morning for breakfast and even after workouts if he would like.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    A friend pointed me to HealthyWage.com the other day.

I knew I had finally found my calling for losing weight.....GAMBLING!

At 6'1" 236.5lbs (more on that in a minute) I qualified for two different challenges on the HealthyWage site.

1. Pay $100 and lose 10% of your body weight in 6 months. If successful they will pay you $200.

2. Pay $300 and go from Obese to a Healthy BMI in a year. If successful they will pay you $1,000.

I decided on the $300 for a $1000 and set out on a plan.

First I had to go to a doctors office or local health club that participates to weigh in. I strategically waited until just after lunch in order to weigh in.

I am now started full blast on a totally new diet.

1. I cut out all pop (soda for some of you, and Coke for the Southern hicks). I used to drink at least two 32oz fountain pops a day, plus maybe some with dinner. I figure this is easily 800 calories a day (or almost two pounds of weight loss a week by itself). I already have massive headaches and want to kill somebody but I am sure it will pass in a couple days.

2. I started eating breakfast. One packet of instant oatmeal, one banana, one low calorie protein bar, 8oz of skim milk, 8oz of orange juice.

3. Lunch is between a 1/4 and a 1/3 of a up of raw almonds. Spinach salad with carrots, cabbage, broccoli, no dressing (this is borderline terrible to eat).

4. Afternoon snack usually a few raw almonds (maybe 5 to 10) and carrots or celery.

5. Dinner is still a bit of a crap shoot as I have to eat with my wife. Trying to prepare less red meat dishes and more pork/chicken dishes. Then just trying to be smart, like not putting cheese on my tacos the other night.

6. No eating after 8PM (usually in bed at 11:30).

7. I have a 32oz cup at work that I now fill with water. My goal is to drink three of those a day. Plus water at lunch and dinner should get me to a gallon a day.

I have started to add in an evening walk (from no exercise before).

Next week I will be adding in morning stationery bike rides for 20-30 minutes.

Hopefully once the weather breaks I can replace stationery bike a couple times a week with runs around the small ponds that we live around.

I picked my diet and path to success totally on everything I have read on these forums over the years. If I am missing something or doing something wrong I would be welcome to advice.

Weigh-ins will come weekly in this thread, most likely on Sunday's.
    Correct me if im wrong, but eating before the weigh in would only help if you were doing the 10% one.

Load Metric

This is incorrect. Our bodies are always burning some % of fat and carbs. Everyone is different. For some people eating carbs is fine and for others its not. The hard part is figuring out what is not good for your body in most overweight people its carbs. In order for their body to burn fat there has to be no carbs available to shift the % to fat burning instead of carb burning.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post

This is incorrect. Our bodies are always burning some % of fat and carbs. Everyone is different. For some people eating carbs is fine and for others its not. The hard part is figuring out what is not good for your body in most overweight people its carbs. In order for their body to burn fat there has to be no carbs available to shift the % to fat burning instead of carb burning.
    Yeah, I'm sure that pack of instant oatmeal is really going to pack on the pounds. We aren't talking about slamming carbs. The whole basis of this this is whether or not he should eat the pack of instant oatmeal in the morning. I continue to stand behind that he can eat it in the morning and it won't be a problem unless that pack is actually multiple packs.

Thread Information