Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I raised my tenants rent

Load Metric

I raised my tenants rent

Next thing you know there's a shitted up toilet thats plugged and i have to fix it. Coincidence?

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Next thing you know there's a shitted up toilet thats plugged and i have to fix it. Coincidence?

Load Metric
    Did he also tell you he's moving out? If not, coincidence.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If the plumber finds some object in there that isn't supposed to be flushed, you can legally charge him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If the plumber finds some object in there that isn't supposed to be flushed, you can legally charge him.

this is a bigger dick move than upping the rent on a tenant.

Load Metric
    Charge him with what, illegal flushing? Quit being a fucking faggot and fix the goddamn toilet. Christ I have never had a place in my life that didn't have a fucking drain problem somewhere in a sink/toilet/basement and every single time it was some faggot fucking landlord "Oh Ill fix it soon" yeah well way to be slow, I just fucked your wife b

Load Metric
    I never met a thirty something couple who didn't know how to use a plunger. Unreal.

Load Metric
    I never met a thirty something couple who didn't know how to use a plunger. Unreal.
    They know how to use a plunger. That's their way of telling you that you shouldn't have raised the rent. Get ready, I'm sure they are going to be calling you for every little thing that goes wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Nothing wrong with charging high rent, it keeps the rif raf away. But also keep in mind there has to be value for the higher rent.

I learned the hard way.....if you charge premium rent you will get employed and generally better renters, low rent gets welfare bums and drug addicts.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    They know how to use a plunger. That's their way of telling you that you shouldn't have raised the rent. Get ready, I'm sure they are going to be calling you for every little thing that goes wrong.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Nothing wrong with charging high rent, it keeps the rif raf away. But also keep in mind there has to be value for the higher rent.

I learned the hard way.....if you charge premium rent you will get employed and generally better renters, low rent gets welfare bums and drug addicts.
    My grandfather rents out houses, but this is a lesson he never bothered to learn. Most of his tenants are on section 8, and they're a nightmare to deal with. They constantly complain about trivial things, trash the units, rarely stay very long, and frequently steal appliances upon leaving. He does this because he hates leaving the houses vacant, which makes no sense to me.

Occasionally he takes private tenants and they rarely cause any trouble. They don't call much and they pay rent on time. These aren't premium lots, they're the same houses. They're just occupied by working class people with steady jobs.

Load Metric
    call up bottomset although he is expensive since he makes 200k/yr

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

My grandfather rents out houses, but this is a lesson he never bothered to learn. Most of his tenants are on section 8, and they're a nightmare to deal with. They constantly complain about trivial things, trash the units, rarely stay very long, and frequently steal appliances upon leaving. He does this because he hates leaving the houses vacant, which makes no sense to me.

Occasionally he takes private tenants and they rarely cause any trouble. They don't call much and they pay rent on time. These aren't premium lots, they're the same houses. They're just occupied by working class people with steady jobs.
    my step dad does the same thing. he rents to *** people and they either pay a few months and stop, or just take the money and spend it on dumb stuff.
    Last edited by tommyt; 04-08-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: realized i posted info about where i live :o

Load Metric
    The crazy thing is that I could have raised it even more but I didn't want to be a dick. Lesson learned.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    The crazy thing is that I could have raised it even more but I didn't want to be a dick. Lesson learned.
    Always charge market rent, and if they get fresh then remove the toilet for repair for a few days...that'll learn 'em.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

this is a bigger dick move than upping the rent on a tenant.
    No, it isn't.

If you own a house and screw up your own plumbing by flushing a non-flushable item, who pays for it?

You do, obviously.

So why should it be any different if you're in a rented place?

If the plumbing issue is the result of a defect in the plumbing or other "natural" causes (such as tree roots in the pipes), then obviously the landlord should foot the bill.

If the tenant caused it, he should foot the bill.

Plumbers don't work for free, and I doubt gauchojake has a full-time maintenance man on hand.

Landlords are often responsible for lots of dick moves. Charging for a tenant-caused plumbing issue is not one of them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And the people who have written about low-income buildings are absolutely correct.

While you get some salt-of-the-earth, honest tenants who just are financially challenged, you are also stuck renting to a lot of scumbags, drug addicts, criminals, etc. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference at the time you rent to them. Owning a building in a lousy area is a recipe for disaster, and will drive you absolutely nuts.

But putting that aside, is it an asshole move to raise a tenant's rent? Are you a greedy jerk for trying to get the maximum price for your units?

Not at all.

Rental property is a business. You should not be in that business if you are going to let your emotions rule you, because you will get played for a chump over and over. The same tenant who will give you a sob story about how he can't afford your increase is happy to get up and abruptly leave when he's ready to buy a house or move in with his girlfriend. He won't give a shit if the rental market is crappy and you already have 6 vacancies. You are just a business transaction to him, and that's what he should be to you.

The guy you keep forgiving for paying late is the same one who will sue you when you ding his security deposit for bad damage he caused to the unit.

The girl who blamed her bad credit on an irresponsible ex-husband (and you gave the benefit of the doubt) is the same person who will skip out on the lease and move out-of-state in the middle of the night.

Ask any landlord who's been around awhile, and he will tell you countless stories about getting screwed over by misleadingly "nice" tenants.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of horrible landlords, too. Most terrible landlords fall in two categories:

1) Overestimate their own rights as owners. They often think they can do anything because they own the place, and ignore state laws in place to protect tenants' rights. Sometimes you need to actually take them to court (or at least seem very serious about doing so) to get them to change their minds.

2) Neglectful/cheap. They don't feel like scheduling much-needed repairs in a timely manner, and when they do, often hire some completely incompetent relative to "fix" the problem and accomplish nothing.

I have helped many friends and acquaintances with tenants rights issues and they put the smackdown on their asshole landlords.

However, I have really felt bad for many landlords I've known, who have been screwed over time and time again by unscrupulous tenants (or, in some cases, tenants with a sense of entitlement).

gauchojake should raise the rent to whatever he feels is appropriate for the market, though he should also consider whether or not he wants the hassle of trying to re-rent the place and turn it over. To some landlords, it's worth foregoing the extra $100/month to avoid the hassle of getting a new, unknown tenant and going through the time-consuming turnover/re-rental process. I can't argue with that logic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, Nevada has much better eviction laws than California.

In Nevada, you can file an eviction and get a tenant out within days.

In California, a clever tenant can drag it on for several months.

California is a huge mess when it comes to a lot of "tenants' rights", many of which were written with good intentions but end up primarily benefiting deadbeats and scammers.

For example, let's say you are "between places to live" and beg your buddy in Los Angeles to let you stay with him while you get on your feet. Your buddy is kind enough to say yes, and gives you the spare keys to his place so you can go in and out without his assistance. Three weeks later, you decide that you don't feel like paying your own rent, and tell your buddy that you might be there awhile. He gets pissed and tries to get rid of you. Guess what? You have the right to stay, and he has to perform a full eviction to get you out. This is despite the fact that you have no rental agreement and no contract whatsoever, and have never even paid a penny of rent. His giving the keys to you and letting you take residence for a few weeks entitles you to claim you're a tenant.

Awful, right?

Load Metric
    '... and the landlord gets the rest'

Thread Information