Thread: Google Fiber coming to Austin

Banned
    Load Metric

Google Fiber coming to Austin

I don't think there's been any official announcement yet, but multiple sources have confirmed it. Also, Google accidentally flashed a headline about it, and quickly removed it.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/08/...st-web-speeds/

This is huge. The United States is pathetically far behind the rest of the world in internet speed and availability. This is mostly do to a handful of companies violating anti-trust laws and dicking over consumers. Now Google is threatening to force these companies to be competitive and provide decent value.

When Google started providing internet service to Kansas City, you may have heard about people in neighboring cities receiving generous offers from their ISPs for reduced rates and increased speeds. I just got one myself! Today I got a letter from Comcast offering me a 66% increase in internet speed. Now I get 25Mbps/5Mbps. No extra charge, just out of the goodness of their cold black hearts.

Of course, I'll still kick their ass to the curb the very second I have any alternative choice in provider such as Google. I imagine everyone else will too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I don't think there's been any official announcement yet, but multiple sources have confirmed it. Also, Google accidentally flashed a headline about it, and quickly removed it.

This is huge. The United States is pathetically far behind the rest of the world in internet speed and availability. This is mostly do to a handful of companies violating anti-trust laws and dicking over consumers. Now Google is threatening to force these companies to be competitive and provide decent value.

When Google started providing internet service to Kansas City, you may have heard about people in neighboring cities receiving generous offers from their ISPs for reduced rates and increased speeds. I just got one myself! Today I got a letter from Comcast offering me a 66% increase in internet speed. Now I get 25Mbps/5Mbps. No extra charge, just out of the goodness of their cold black hearts.

Of course, I'll still kick their ass to the curb the very second I have any alternative choice in provider such as Google. I imagine everyone else will too.
    If it ever comes to the San Fernando Valley, I might be a nice friend and buy Ken Scalir the 1 MBps "free" option, where you get free internet for a minimum of 7 years for a one-time $300 installation fee.

Here is my thread about Google Fiber (called "Gigabit") in the Hacker's Delight forum:

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...t-Gigabit-quot

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wait so that's where Darrel dickens has been this whole time?

That cat is sharp, way ahead of the game...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    Wait so that's where Darrel dickens has been this whole time?

That cat is sharp, way ahead of the game...
    I haven't thought about Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken in a long time.

You're right, though, he totally fell off the map.

He cashed a few times in 08, cashed once at a 09 WSOP event, and has been MIA since then from all tournaments -- at least tournament cashes.

Busto OBV

Load Metric
    Was following this a few months ago but told at least for now its not that great because the existing infrastructure can't properly meet the download speeds.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

If it ever comes to the San Fernando Valley, I might be a nice friend and buy Ken Scalir the 1 MBps "free" option, where you get free internet for a minimum of 7 years for a one-time $300 installation fee.

Here is my thread about Google Fiber (called "Gigabit") in the Hacker's Delight forum:

Sounds like a great deal

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

You better throw in a free pc as well.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Was following this a few months ago but told at least for now its not that great because the existing infrastructure can't properly meet the download speeds.
    And why do you suppose that is the case?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    And why do you suppose that is the case?
    I don't know but I am sure that it has nothing to do with the existing telecommunication organizational practices that would actually keep the prices up while keeping the service down. It's not like they have a monopoly. They have the other type of opoly.

Funny thing, when I was in high school I went to that Junior Achievement bullshit. We were put in groups of four and posed a question: There was another business owner who was doing really badly while our profits were soaring. So, we were asked if we would call them and set prices to be the same so that consumers would have to pay the same amount at both stores.

Now first off high school kids are usually a hair away from being hippy cunts. Plus I was like capitalism fuck yeah, fuck that fag if he goes out of business that is more money for us. Of course no one in my group agreed with me and they all thought I was some cold heartless bastard. They voted to help the guy out by price fixing and felt really good about their decision.

At least until the JA teacher told them that congratulations, the guy had called the FTC or some shit and now we were all going to prison for colluding over prices. Ha ha ha, I think that JA classes must be the only place that law is enforced. What a fucking joke. These companies have colluded for decades, about to go on centuries. The look on the JA guy's face was so smug too. Well played JA guy, well played.

Thread Information