Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sick Vice video on 3D printed guns.

Load Metric
    and that, ladies and gentlemen, is your double post supertilt of the day. dance for us more, 408donkdowndonedied.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    and that, ladies and gentlemen, is your double post supertilt of the day. dance for us more, 408donkdowndonedied.
    Spin spin spin.. bro, I'd ignore you, but you started it up with the 'hick faggot' crap. (How old are you? you look older in that sweeeet double chin pic)

You're just some "bitter angry fat guy" who tries to be an authority on the internet. I don't give a shit. I am just for exchanging of ideas. This is like some social status game for you. I only respond to you when you are clearly wrong... yet you make me a part of your very EXISTENCE on this site. So bizarre..... Now I'm the one supertilted...

Why did me calling you out for idiocy upset you so much? Maybe because deep down inside you're weak.... really really weak.. but keep impressing the scrubs and whoever pays you. You do so well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Spin spin spin.. bro, I'd ignore you, but you started it up with the 'hick faggot' crap. (How old are you? you look older in that sweeeet double chin pic)

You're just some "bitter angry fat guy" who tries to be an authority on the internet. I don't give a shit. I am just for exchanging of ideas. This is like some social status game for you. I only respond to you when you are clearly wrong... yet you make me a part of your very EXISTENCE on this site. So bizarre..... Now I'm the one supertilted...

Why did me calling you out for idiocy upset you so much? Maybe because deep down inside you're weak.... really really weak.. but keep impressing the scrubs and whoever pays you. You do so well.
    - Doesnt give a shit but 90% of his posts here are to me.

- Multiple hilarious double post meltdowns in one thread.

- Walls of texts that no one point no one are reading

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric

Gold
    Load Metric

You find a post where I just randomly attack you like you attack me. Then you'll have a point.

You even do the "no one reads whats you say".. Jesus Christ, you use every lame play from the 15 year old's guide to being a lame internet troll.

Load Metric
    And like a moth to flame, you go full Humpty Dumpty caliber tilt when I even hint at how bad you are at internetting.

Also I never randomly attack you, you are simply the biggest mark at the table.

Nothing about that is random.

Gold
    Load Metric
    And like a moth to flame, you go full Humpty Dumpty caliber tilt when I even hint at how bad you are at internetting.

Also I never randomly attack you, you are simply the biggest mark at the table.

Nothing about that is random.

Thats a good answer, but then I'd question why you care enough to think there are marks on a lousy internet forum.

Aren't you a guy who gave up poker because they could never beat it ? Lets not use poker analogies, son.

Load Metric
    Yup, thats me. Im one of the 98% of people who cant beat poker, and Im one of the like 5% who were smart enough to walk away and invest his money elsewhere.

Id say that puts me well ahead on the evolutionary curve compared to the guy who is so desperately obsessed with me that he scours my ancient posts looking for 'material'.

Also,

Banned
    Load Metric
    Come on kids, this is a pretty interesting topic. Does every thread about guns and politics have to devolve into off-topic pissing contests?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Yup, thats me. Im one of the 98% of people who cant beat poker, and Im one of the like 5% who were smart enough to walk away and invest his money elsewhere.

Id say that puts me well ahead on the evolutionary curve compared to the guy who is so desperately obsessed with me that he scours my ancient posts looking for 'material'.

Also,
    Posting pics works for you, because you lack thought. Kudos for admitting the poker thing. 'desperately obsessed'. You have me in every post of yours. You randomly called me a 'hick faggot' when I was just talking about this interesting Vice video.

I'm lost, are you now saying I "scour your ancient posts" ?

ROFL.

DELUDED.

Christ, just walk away and let people who want to discuss the thread subject, do so. You really don't have to be 'bitter angry fat guy'. you could just be 'fat guy'. People don't mind those.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Come on kids, this is a pretty interesting topic. Does every thread about guns and politics have to devolve into off-topic pissing contests?
    I agree 100%. That is what all my posts would be, but then Sonatine who is not obsessed with me won't let it happen.

I would have not lit up on him if he didn't start running his mouth 100% clueless, but it is just too much.

Load Metric

Serious question; why are you asking total strangers to alter their behavior to suit your tastes?

Real talk you stumbled into the fetid corpse of donkdown through a haze of pot smoke and impressed Micon with your ability to be poker's weird al yankovich, and thats fine, dont get me wrong, Im not scoffing at your accomplishments, but again why are you in this lawless corner of the internet acting like youre the voice of reason?

There are like 4 other forums on this site where no one is allowed to off-topic-post, troll, harangue, what-have-you, so why in gods name are you here if you are so offended by those things?

Banned
    Load Metric

Serious question; why are you asking total strangers to alter their behavior to suit your tastes?

Real talk you stumbled into the fetid corpse of donkdown through a haze of pot smoke and impressed Micon with your ability to be poker's weird al yankovich, and thats fine, dont get me wrong, Im not scoffing at your accomplishments, but again why are you in this lawless corner of the internet acting like youre the voice of reason?

There are like 4 other forums on this site where no one is allowed to off-topic-post, troll, harangue, what-have-you, so why in gods name are you here if you are so offended by those things?
    Just sharing my opinion, dude. Trolling and derailing seems better suited for content-poor threads. But if you've got your heart set on fagging up this one with your lover's quarrel, by all means carry on.

Load Metric

because threads like this become unreadable

there could some good shit at the front of this thread but i'll never read it because i couldn't wait to x-out fast enough when i see "spinning" posts

Load Metric
    Maybe you wouldnt mind if you werent spinning so hard.

Load Metric
    Well the subject was about people being able to print these things up at home, using an off the shelf type 3d printer. Within that context you said "it really ain't that hard". Now I'm seeing something distinctly different. A little back peddling No back peddling here at all. It really isn't that hard. This is probably in the bottom 10% of difficult things to do. Look at what you're typing on. That was way harder to come up with an engineer than this would be. Computers took years upon years. Bridges aren't exactly simple items either. Why do you think it takes years to build a new sky scraper from concept, to design, to real item. I'm not spinning anything.IMO.

Honestly I don't think it is that hard to make a normal AK. People have "build parties" and as stated in the video, you can legally make guns for yourself as long as they're legal otherwise. Now I'm pretty sure you can't sell them, or maybe not even give them away, but you can do that. At some point it is easier to just use someone's machine shop and buy the few specialized tools. You missed the guys point in your clamor to try to demonstrate how smart you are.

Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose

Also, I'm not underestimating the forces in the barrel of a gun. I understand full well the forces of a gun, what you fail to understand is that for every failure there's a million +1 solutions. Failure only breeds success in the engineering field. It just a matter of is it necessary for us to correct this failure or not. If it's not a cost viable thing to do, don't expect it to happen any time soon. There's also design for failure don't forget. Companies can't design products that last forever because they'll go out of business. Not necessarily out of plastic, but a gun could be made that's theoretically the perfect gun, but the costs to make it are so high and the return on investment is way too low. It's value design at it's finest in this case. We have no reason to design a gun out of plastic right now, so why bother?
    I like this "what you fail to understand ..." game. You are changing your tune and spinning pretty well. Fail does not "just breed success", it also breeds failure. If by success you mean success at knowing what NOT to do, then yes, we'd be in agreement.No because when an item fails it gives you an opportunity to see several items that improve the design, and also how to capitalize upon that design flaw in the market. When an item fails you see the individual component, how it failed, and how to make it better.

If there were no reasons to design guns out of plastic, then we wouldn't have glocks and other assorted guns made partially out of plastic. I don't even know what you are trying to argue. I clearly stated in a previous post that it might very well be possible to make a full plastic AK, but I doubt it'll be printed up there's no market demand for a plastic gun you twit.. In time, we'll see. Engineering still has to deal with limitations of materials lol what?. That is not something you can always just engineer around.

One way to ease the heat in the gun is to eliminate friction, many plastics are extremely capable of this. So even though typically the heat within a gun is high reducing the friction forces can greatly reduce this. When it comes to the combustion aspect of it, there's little we can do about that unless we develop a new bullet, which isn't entirely out of the question either. You could, as I stated before, also design insulation into the gun and transfer the heat away from a lot of the plastic. Finally, as I've already stated several times now, the recoil and force can easily be offset by modern dampening techniques. People strongly underestimate this field, and I've seen first hand some of the shit it can do.
    I can tell you are a kid the way you keep saying "i've stated several times"... just like I should know where you went to school because you mentioned it on this site. rofl. How can you insulate a barrel/chamber to transfer heat from "a lot of the plastic". (Btw, we were talking about a gun that is ALL plastic.. or at least I thought) It sounds great.. "insulate the barrel"... but suggest a way. The heat will still be transferred through the chamber/barrel outward into whatever insulation. (I think the term heatsink would be better.. not insulation) Insulation is what they put on the outside of guns, to insulate your hands from the heat. Different materials absorb heat at different rates. You can easily stick one a disposable item just like a magazine clip as a heat sink that is also plastic. I don't know for certain, but if you'd like the exact answer give me 10 mil.

I can tell you are a true believer of 3d printing and maybe it will get there via improved materials. I have no way of knowing.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Anonamoose,

Lol, you're brilliant. Robert Morris would be proud. There is no demand for plastic guns because they don't exist! You say they don't exist because there is no demand!

If there is no demand for plastic guns, then why do lots of modern hand guns have plastic components? Last handgun I bought, made by ruger has a lot of plastic in it. Yet you proclaim there is no demand.. then why are they using plastics in guns more and more ? Seems to me what keeps us from fully plastic guns are just the limitations of plastics, but that is just a guess.

And yes, you can't engineer around limitations of materials. This should be obvious. You don't make skyscrapers out of wood. Things have limits. You know this. You can come up with all sorts of designs, but if the materials you have to use won't work, then you're fucked. You could probably print a barrel that would work, and it might be 2 feet in diameter...... but hey, you engineered it.

It is pretty obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than 100 that you learn stuff from failure, but it doesn't "breed success". That isn't even an engineering thing. That is life, son.

You still can't give me any reasonable suggestion at how you "insulate" the barrel/chamber from the bullet.. but i'd like to hear it.

I'd have to pass on giving 10 million to some kid from a scrub school who can't make a coherent argument and gets side tracked because of ego issues.

Load Metric
    Anonamoose,

Lol, you're brilliant. Robert Morris would be proud. There is no demand for plastic guns because they don't exist! You say they don't exist because there is no demand!

If there is no demand for plastic guns, then why do lots of modern hand guns have plastic components? Last handgun I bought, made by ruger has a lot of plastic in it. Yet you proclaim there is no demand.. then why are they using plastics in guns more and more ? Seems to me what keeps us from fully plastic guns are just the limitations of plastics, but that is just a guess.

And yes, you can't engineer around limitations of materials. This should be obvious. You don't make skyscrapers out of wood. Things have limits. You know this. You can come up with all sorts of designs, but if the materials you have to use won't work, then you're fucked. You could probably print a barrel that would work, and it might be 2 feet in diameter...... but hey, you engineered it.

It is pretty obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than 100 that you learn stuff from failure, but it doesn't "breed success". That isn't even an engineering thing. That is life, son.

You still can't give me any reasonable suggestion at how you "insulate" the barrel/chamber from the bullet.. but i'd like to hear it.

I'd have to pass on giving 10 million to some kid from a scrub school who can't make a coherent argument and gets side tracked because of ego issues.

youre spinning so hard i can refine uranium in your skull.

Load Metric
    Anonamoose,

If there is no demand for plastic guns, then why do lots of modern hand guns have plastic components? Last handgun I bought, made by ruger has a lot of plastic in it. Yet you proclaim there is no demand.. then why are they using plastics in guns more and more ? Seems to me what keeps us from fully plastic guns are just the limitations of plastics, but that is just a guess. Do I really need to clarify this or are you that stupid?

And yes, you can't engineer around limitations of materials I don't think you quite know what you're talking about here and it's painfully obvious. This should be obvious. You don't make skyscrapers out of wood. Things have limits. You know this. You can come up with all sorts of designs, but if the materials you have to use won't work very unlikely, then you're fucked. You could probably print a barrel that would work, and it might be 2 feet in diameter...... but hey, you engineered it.

It is pretty obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than 100 that you learn stuff from failure, but it doesn't "breed success". That isn't even an engineering thing. That is life, son. You very obviously would never be able to be an engineer.

You still can't give me any reasonable suggestion at how you "insulate" the barrel/chamber from the bullet.. but i'd like to hear it. I already gave you an explanation, if you want further explanation I'm going to need access to solidworks with the FEA package (roughly 25k per year), a very very good computer to run it on (probably about 20k worth of shit), access to a materials database (another 50k per year), years of salary for this work (200k per year at this level), money to purchase a high grade 3D printer (around 50K), the material to print (I'll estimate this at about 50k worth of material but could easily reach well over 500k depending on what material I need), a full sized multiaxis CNC machine (500k-1mil), and a lot of other misc items.

I'd have to pass on giving 10 million to some kid from a scrub school who can't make a coherent argument and gets side tracked because of ego issues. Actually I personally put RMU's Engineer program on the map. My senior design project took down University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University in a competition and donated the prize money to RMU so they can expand their engineering program, but that's neither here nor there. RMU is far from a scrub school. In Actuarial Science it's actually considered one of the top schools in the nation.

Gold
    Load Metric

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    Anonamoose,

If there is no demand for plastic guns, then why do lots of modern hand guns have plastic components? Last handgun I bought, made by ruger has a lot of plastic in it. Yet you proclaim there is no demand.. then why are they using plastics in guns more and more ? Seems to me what keeps us from fully plastic guns are just the limitations of plastics, but that is just a guess. Do I really need to clarify this or are you that stupid?

And yes, you can't engineer around limitations of materials I don't think you quite know what you're talking about here and it's painfully obvious. This should be obvious. You don't make skyscrapers out of wood. Things have limits. You know this. You can come up with all sorts of designs, but if the materials you have to use won't work very unlikely, then you're fucked. You could probably print a barrel that would work, and it might be 2 feet in diameter...... but hey, you engineered it.

It is pretty obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than 100 that you learn stuff from failure, but it doesn't "breed success". That isn't even an engineering thing. That is life, son. You very obviously would never be able to be an engineer.

You still can't give me any reasonable suggestion at how you "insulate" the barrel/chamber from the bullet.. but i'd like to hear it. I already gave you an explanation, if you want further explanation I'm going to need access to solidworks with the FEA package (roughly 25k per year), a very very good computer to run it on (probably about 20k worth of shit), access to a materials database (another 50k per year), years of salary for this work (200k per year at this level), money to purchase a high grade 3D printer (around 50K), the material to print (I'll estimate this at about 50k worth of material but could easily reach well over 500k depending on what material I need), a full sized multiaxis CNC machine (500k-1mil), and a lot of other misc items.

I'd have to pass on giving 10 million to some kid from a scrub school who can't make a coherent argument and gets side tracked because of ego issues. Actually I personally put RMU's Engineer program on the map. My senior design project took down University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University in a competition and donated the prize money to RMU so they can expand their engineering program, but that's neither here nor there. RMU is far from a scrub school. In Actuarial Science it's actually considered one of the top schools in the nation.
    Yawn. I'm sure you put RMU's engineering programming "on the map" buddy. Sure thing.

You just start quoting a bunch of figures etc and still can't give me a basic idea of how the fuck you insulate the barrel/chamber from the bullet. You can't.

You have not suggested why there is not a gun with a plastic barrel. Just there is "no demand, twit". Yet if you have followed guns in the past decade+, they are using more and more plastic. (and not just for furniture, I am talking about primary functional parts..) Reality says there is demand for guns made of plastic. (lightweight!) So why don't they exist? .... Because you can't make all the parts out of plastic, because ti simply isn't that durable....

How do you even make such statements as there is no demand for plastic guns? How would you know this ? That another 10 milion question?

You say "I could do it". Then you go off listing a bunch of software packages that no one here knows what they are.. as if it has relevance to the discussion or makes your opinions more valid. Nope. It is just noise.

As far as me not being able to be an engineer, I had to look up RMU. I don't even think it is ranked nationally from what I saw. I have a BS STEM degree from a top 10 program, but I'm sure RMU is top 10 now that you went there.

We could have had an interesting discussion about how many rounds the barrel would have to be able to withstand to be considered functional. Like maybe you could make a barrel that could fire one round every 10 seconds or some weird contraint. But nah, its all dick wagging. gl, brainchild.

Thread Information