Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sick Vice video on 3D printed guns.

Gold
    Load Metric
    To make it clear, whether a barrel is rifled or not isn't going to stop this. You can leave out the rifling of any rifle and I'd bet that 100% of them will function the same to the point of cycling/firing. That isn't even the issue. Anyone who has shot a high capacity gun a few times knows how hot they get. I doubt this printer plastic can withstand the heat. One your barrel starts to deform then you go onto a WHOLE new type of failures. (and dangerous ones) The forces that are breaking their lower receiver are NOTHING compared to the rifle/chamber which divert small explosions. This idea that kids can now buy ARs over the internet is interesting, but it really doesn't have that many long term consequences as the governmant can just start regulating different parts of the gun.

You might be able to make a plastic AK, but I'm gussing the type of plastics used in these printing processes will never do it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post

i am a mechanical engineer and i say you're wrong.
    What school did you go to ? What is your current work?

I think you're full of shit. Good luck printing a barrel. They barely get lower receivers working... The chamber/barrel take far far more energy/heat. Meh, I could go on.. but I'm not going to educate you. Not my job.
    You don't need to educate someone. As I've mentioned in other threads I went to Robert Morris University, but I started at PSU. My whole senior year was dedicated to 3D printing for my senior design project. I currently work in a manufacturing environment for nuclear product.

Yes, the chamber and barrel take a lot of heat and a lot of energy and 3D printing isn't always smooth, but that doesn't matter. If you use standard DFM and FEA practices you could easily over come this. The people in the above video are amateurs using a weak printer and no real analysis. You can easily undersize certain components to machine them and retrofit non-metallic items into them to make this last, so from a manufacturing stand point it's very much possible. To take care of the heat and energy you simply utilize different aspects of vibrational dampening and basic insulation.

It's really not that difficult...

Load Metric

I think you're full of shit. Good luck printing a barrel. They barely get lower receivers working... The chamber/barrel take far far more energy/heat. Meh, I could go on.. but I'm not going to educate you. Not my job.
    You don't need to educate someone. As I've mentioned in other threads I went to Robert Morris University, but I started at PSU. My whole senior year was dedicated to 3D printing for my senior design project. I currently work in a manufacturing environment for nuclear product.

Yes, the chamber and barrel take a lot of heat and a lot of energy and 3D printing isn't always smooth, but that doesn't matter. If you use standard DFM and FEA practices you could easily over come this. The people in the above video are amateurs using a weak printer and no real analysis. You can easily undersize certain components to machine them and retrofit non-metallic items into them to make this last, so from a manufacturing stand point it's very much possible. To take care of the heat and energy you simply utilize different aspects of vibrational dampening and basic insulation.

In all fairness you're lecturing to a person who just told me to 'go to college' to learn about ak47 barrel fabrication, and who considers our nations warriors cowards.

Also, good post.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric

Lol at expecting me to have read every thread in here and know hwere you went to school.

Lol "its really not that difficult" but no one has done it. So you do seem to know a lot more about 3d printing, but I think you underestimate the what forces in the rifle. Chambers are rated to withstand 50k psi.. some lower, some higher. I do not think a 3d printer will be able to create a barrel and you've done little to convince me.

BTW, the whole point of the video was "we are working on this so anyone can do it".. Not "we are working on this so a well equipped company can do it".

I'm pretty sure the barrel will deform pretty quickly regardless of how smooth it is. They've been making parts of guns plastics for years now, but I have yet to hear of any company making a plastic barreled gun. Hmm... I wonder why..

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

In all fairness you're lecturing to a person who just told me to 'go to college' to learn about ak47 barrel fabrication, and who considers our nations warriors cowards.

Also, good post.
    Ignore the fact that I packed your shit, "bitter angry fat guy".

It is interesting. Sonatine's reading comprehension sucks, or his IQ is just too low to have meaningly conversations with. Yet he writes well which makes up for it, so everyone thinks he has a clue. I on the other hand write like shit, and have a hard time explaining anything to the guy. Oh well.

Load Metric
    Sonatine's reading comprehension sucks, or his IQ is just too low to have meaningly conversations with.
    No.

Like, holy fuck, no.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Sonatine's reading comprehension sucks, or his IQ is just too low to have meaningly conversations with.
    No.

Like, holy fuck, no.
    I've said it before.. the dude can impress some scrubs like no one's business. If you don't have the capacity to know better, then you won't. This works throughout life, these forums are no different.

Whatever.. AKs don't have rifled barrels and everyone will be able to print up a machine gun by next year. You guys win. Not sure why I bother to post on here... i browse, then feel a compulsion, but it is wasted.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Any chance there will be a plastic for 3d printers strong enough for chambers/barrels?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Any chance there will be a plastic for 3d printers strong enough for chambers/barrels?
    photoactive resin, absolutely.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Lol at expecting me to have read every thread in here and know hwere you went to school.

Lol "its really not that difficult" but no one has done it. So you do seem to know a lot more about 3d printing, but I think you underestimate the what forces in the rifle. Chambers are rated to withstand 50k psi.. some lower, some higher. I do not think a 3d printer will be able to create a barrel and you've done little to convince me.

BTW, the whole point of the video was "we are working on this so anyone can do it".. Not "we are working on this so a well equipped company can do it".

I'm pretty sure the barrel will deform pretty quickly regardless of how smooth it is. They've been making parts of guns plastics for years now, but I have yet to hear of any company making a plastic barreled gun. Hmm... I wonder why..

Design such as this one is out of necessity not for the hell of it. Also, I would be surprised if someone hasn't already started developing one. You act like when I say it can be done it's a simple as taking a few months. When I say this can be done it can be done with a few years of steady R&D. Give me about 10 mil and I'll have one for you by 2020.

Also, I'm not underestimating the forces in the barrel of a gun. I understand full well the forces of a gun, what you fail to understand is that for every failure there's a million +1 solutions. Failure only breeds success in the engineering field. It just a matter of is it necessary for us to correct this failure or not. If it's not a cost viable thing to do, don't expect it to happen any time soon. There's also design for failure don't forget. Companies can't design products that last forever because they'll go out of business. Not necessarily out of plastic, but a gun could be made that's theoretically the perfect gun, but the costs to make it are so high and the return on investment is way too low. It's value design at it's finest in this case. We have no reason to design a gun out of plastic right now, so why bother?

One way to ease the heat in the gun is to eliminate friction, many plastics are extremely capable of this. So even though typically the heat within a gun is high reducing the friction forces can greatly reduce this. When it comes to the combustion aspect of it, there's little we can do about that unless we develop a new bullet, which isn't entirely out of the question either. You could, as I stated before, also design insulation into the gun and transfer the heat away from a lot of the plastic. Finally, as I've already stated several times now, the recoil and force can easily be offset by modern dampening techniques. People strongly underestimate this field, and I've seen first hand some of the shit it can do.

Load Metric
    Well then it really is kinda scary, add a dowloadable cad to some small crazy group of people with the cash for a printer.
    I think the government will come down on this like like printing fake money.

Load Metric

Well then it really is kinda scary, add a dowloadable cad to some small crazy group of people with the cash for a printer.
    I don't support guns in the least bit, but if the government takes away my right to use a 3D printer because of you assholes I might go buy a gun and find some of you.

Load Metric

oh fucking count on it.

dude right now you can print a fully functional noise suppressor on a $3k printer, as well as all those semi-to-auto conversion kits that were blowing up in the news 15 odd years ago.

and people are already 3d printing bio-organisms btw.

i dont realllllly see humanity surviving this brave new world.

Load Metric
    I don't support guns in the least bit, but if the government takes away my right to use a 3D printer because of you assholes I might go buy a gun and find some of you.

well maybe youre in luck i suppose because according to some inarticulate huckleberry simpleton faggots the forces who guard us are cowards.

Load Metric
    I think this is a relevant black cock picture

Name:  b8be5326.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  92.5 KB

Load Metric
    so people can practically print carbon 15s?

Gold
    Load Metric

Design such as this one is out of necessity not for the hell of it. Also, I would be surprised if someone hasn't already started developing one. You act like when I say it can be done it's a simple as taking a few months. When I say this can be done it can be done with a few years of steady R&D. Give me about 10 mil and I'll have one for you by 2020.
    Well the subject was about people being able to print these things up at home, using an off the shelf type 3d printer. Within that context you said "it really ain't that hard". Now I'm seeing something distinctly different. A little back peddling IMO.

Honestly I don't think it is that hard to make a normal AK. People have "build parties" and as stated in the video, you can legally make guns for yourself as long as they're legal otherwise. Now I'm pretty sure you can't sell them, or maybe not even give them away, but you can do that. At some point it is easier to just use someone's machine shop and buy the few specialized tools. You missed the guys point in your clamor to try to demonstrate how smart you are.

Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose

Also, I'm not underestimating the forces in the barrel of a gun. I understand full well the forces of a gun, what you fail to understand is that for every failure there's a million +1 solutions. Failure only breeds success in the engineering field. It just a matter of is it necessary for us to correct this failure or not. If it's not a cost viable thing to do, don't expect it to happen any time soon. There's also design for failure don't forget. Companies can't design products that last forever because they'll go out of business. Not necessarily out of plastic, but a gun could be made that's theoretically the perfect gun, but the costs to make it are so high and the return on investment is way too low. It's value design at it's finest in this case. We have no reason to design a gun out of plastic right now, so why bother?
    I like this "what you fail to understand ..." game. You are changing your tune and spinning pretty well. Fail does not "just breed success", it also breeds failure. If by success you mean success at knowing what NOT to do, then yes, we'd be in agreement.

If there were no reasons to design guns out of plastic, then we wouldn't have glocks and other assorted guns made partially out of plastic. I don't even know what you are trying to argue. I clearly stated in a previous post that it might very well be possible to make a full plastic AK, but I doubt it'll be printed up. In time, we'll see. Engineering still has to deal with limitations of materials. That is not something you can always just engineer around.

One way to ease the heat in the gun is to eliminate friction, many plastics are extremely capable of this. So even though typically the heat within a gun is high reducing the friction forces can greatly reduce this. When it comes to the combustion aspect of it, there's little we can do about that unless we develop a new bullet, which isn't entirely out of the question either. You could, as I stated before, also design insulation into the gun and transfer the heat away from a lot of the plastic. Finally, as I've already stated several times now, the recoil and force can easily be offset by modern dampening techniques. People strongly underestimate this field, and I've seen first hand some of the shit it can do.
    I can tell you are a kid the way you keep saying "i've stated several times"... just like I should know where you went to school because you mentioned it on this site. rofl. How can you insulate a barrel/chamber to transfer heat from "a lot of the plastic". (Btw, we were talking about a gun that is ALL plastic.. or at least I thought) It sounds great.. "insulate the barrel"... but suggest a way. The heat will still be transferred through the chamber/barrel outward into whatever insulation. (I think the term heatsink would be better.. not insulation) Insulation is what they put on the outside of guns, to insulate your hands from the heat.

I can tell you are a true believer of 3d printing and maybe it will get there via improved materials. I have no way of knowing.

Load Metric
    nobody is reading a word of that, hayseed.

Gold
    Load Metric
    nobody is reading a word of that, hayseed.
    lol at hayseed. You actually made me smile, chubs.

I own you, you can't stop trolling me, even when you have 0 reason to.

Gold
    Load Metric

well maybe youre in luck i suppose because according to some inarticulate huckleberry simpleton faggots the forces who guard us are cowards.
    Lol you coudn't comprehend my argument, so now you just consistently misrepresent it to try to win at something.

With all this 'hick that' 'huckleberry' 'simpleton', I'd ask you again if you even went to college.... but you'll fail to understand the simple question or purposefully misrepresent it.

Not sure why anyone listens to you... It is pretty fascinating. When you get into hard facts that are clearly right/wrong you fail because it is easily demonstrated you're wrong. Yet that doesn't stop you from pulling shit out of the air later on. You read a few web articles pumping up 3d printing, so now you're a materials expert. It is just so LOL.. and people read it and don't even question you.

You say AKs don't have rifled barrels... Then you try to correct it by saying Saigas, which are rifles made by Russians and generally considered the best AK like guns made. Maybe VZ's guns would be considered better by someone knowledgable, but this is the internet. It was just ufnny.. I point out you don't know what you are talking about, then you demonstrate it.. then when you try to correct yourself, you make an even BIGGER mistake.. Yet here you are, still offering up opinions.

Thread Information