Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that it's all over... can someone explain what happened to Boris?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mackerdoodle jones View Post
    barry - it isn't so much that there's inside jokes but rather absurdity based humor that you aren't geared to get.
    I like absurdity based humor a lot. Advertising network sitcoms in your signature is an inside joke...and retarded.

A thread titled "Simple '10 Step' Test Could Detect Knee Osteoarthritis"- I can't tell if that's an unsuccessful attempt at absurdity based humor, an inside joke, or just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    vwls i spent waaaay to much time on boris and yet i have no idea what you mean about chasing off newbies. i remember it being pretty welcoming.

as for skatz - what you like your pic and title changed to? post it here and I'll make the changes.
    WOW really? It's so weird to me how people experience things so differently.

On Skatz - just put my title back to what it was: I honestly don't remember the exact wording. I think it was something like "Queen of Skatz and only female member"... something along those lines. Something funny but not insulting. And obv change the pic to the FU lips or something. Let me know when you have fixed it.

BTW I always thought you did a bang-up job with the poker league, and not just because I picked you for the job. You were genuinely good at it. I also miss our avatar bets.
    LOL I'm not Been. Anyhow, I changed your avatar and your title. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    barry - it isn't so much that there's inside jokes but rather absurdity based humor that you aren't geared to get.
    I like absurdity based humor a lot. Advertising network sitcoms in your signature is an inside joke...and retarded.

A thread titled "Simple '10 Step' Test Could Detect Knee Osteoarthritis"- I can't tell if that's an unsuccessful attempt at absurdity based humor, an inside joke, or just trolling.

Here I wish I could answer DirtyB via rep and not clutter up a thread with a short and stupid reply but: we have a lot of day drinkers on skatz and you got me with me the Osteo Knee thingy....I believe that, technically, someone is 6th level trolling neverstop because of his knobby razorblade like knees.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    WOW really? It's so weird to me how people experience things so differently.

On Skatz - just put my title back to what it was: I honestly don't remember the exact wording. I think it was something like "Queen of Skatz and only female member"... something along those lines. Something funny but not insulting. And obv change the pic to the FU lips or something. Let me know when you have fixed it.

BTW I always thought you did a bang-up job with the poker league, and not just because I picked you for the job. You were genuinely good at it. I also miss our avatar bets.
    LOL I'm not Been. Anyhow, I changed your avatar and your title. Enjoy.
    Right I figured that out. Who are u?
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    answer the question, china

wtf did you do with the cat?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    Also i was doing ok in online tournies back then and nigstop was trying to get me to buy 49% of the site for like 5k promising of huge things lined up for the site

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    Also i was doing ok in online tournies back then and nigstop was trying to get me to buy 49% of the site for like 5k promising of huge things lined up for the site

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Free parko, neverstop!!!

Load Metric
    Seriously. Pay your bill for a month or two so that the rest of us can go back and save the awesomeness before it's deleted forever.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    The posts I made on Boris78 were some of the best posts in the history of the internet. Everyone else was trash... I carried that site. I was also the Boris Othello champion when they offered games, I was the best at Othello and still am.

Name:  xIuHOBV.gif
Views: 469
Size:  1.64 MB

Comments

thesidedish: lmfao...i was monopoly and helicopter champ tho

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post

If you were referring to me and my sig, I'll have you know I appeared in Season 1 and 2. Hence the advertising.

Load Metric
    The boris butterfly effect

Circa 1992 i went into a trading card shop with my school mate to buy some packets of Hoops cards.
    The dude working there said to me hey you like like a young Boris Becker. The name stuck as an occasional nickname with some of my school mates.

A decade later circa 2002 i registered the boris domain for personal email, online storage etc

Another decade later it had spawned into a shitty poker forum for people disillusioned at another shitty poker forum.

Comments

4Dragons: Thanks for the mammories

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of people also forget that boris was started about a year before it became active. It was nothing but a ghost town, but it picked up a lot of steam in January, 2009 when people were disillusioned about both "The Carter" (a split of the main forum Shooting Off, which admittedly was a bad idea), and the firing of Vwls as mod.

This triggered a mass exodus where nearly every active poster on NWP went to Boris, and in fact there was pressure on Boris posters not to continue posting at NWP. At first I thought this might spell the end of NWP, but I realized that NWP would likely not ghost town, as new users would likely show up to replace the old ones. I still wasn't happy about it because we lost a lot of our best posters to Boris, and the n00bs that replaced them frankly weren't that good for the most part.

While I admit that I had a hand in The Carter decision (though it wasn't mine alone), the Vwls firing was done without my knowledge, and while we had privately talked about removing her as mod, I was pissed regarding the abrupt and callous matter it was done.

Anyway, Boris was actually an interesting situation, in that it played out again into people being disillusioned with the ownership there, and again there was an exodus to yet another site.

Basically, it's really hard to run a forum (especially a "free speech" type forum) without pissing certain people off and causing some kind of controversy/revolt/exodus.

One thing I've been proud of on PFA is the fact that, in the 26 months this site has existed, there has been almost no drama regarding rules or bannings. I also think I've done a much better job as an owner/mod here than I did at NWP/DD, but that was a matter of learning from experience. It's also a product of not having to bicker/fight with other owners about the direction or rules of the site.

Comments

superallah: cool

wrenchjockey: I C

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, something you may also not remember is the fact that, at the time of the original January 2009 defection to Boris, I was mostly well-liked by the people leaving NWP. Micon was seen as the enemy, while I was generally described as a nice guy who just went along with some bad decisions.

I had a phone conversation with Micon, where we tried to come up with a strategy to get some of the Boris defectors back. I suggested that Micon appoint me as being fully in charge of the forums and that he should take a step back, basically putting the person seen as the "good guy" in charge, and thus perhaps encouraging some of the defectors to return. It seemed that many were boycotting NWP because of Micon personally, and I told Micon that they were likely to cool down if they returned to NWP and everything returned to normal. He agreed, so we did this.

Unfortunately, this didn't have the desired effect. Almost nobody returned to NWP, and the opinion of me quickly soured, especially after I banned users who stated on Boris that they were going to cock-bomb NWP, as well as removed links to Boris. At the same time, since I was now the one publicly in charge of the NWP forums and the face of attempting to thwart the Boris defection, the hate turned onto me, while the opinion of Micon improved over time (case of out of sight, out of mind).

As several months passed and it became clear that Boris was just a circle-jerk of friends that wasn't really appealing to the masses, I realized that the best course of action was just to ignore it. Eventually most of the bashing of me went away, and was replaced by the infighting that eventually destroyed the site, especially because people became angrier and angrier with the way neverstop was running the place.

The end.

Comments

superallah: story

wrenchjockey: wat u

DRK Star: Very IAN-teresting

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I should also say that I quietly felt that early Boris had some really great threads and was far more entertaining than NWP. This is what worried me the most -- we lost our best and most creative posters. Obviously I didn't admit this on NWP, as the last thing I wanted was to make even more people run over there and never come back. I was fine with people posting on both forums, but I noticed the pressure on posters to boycott NWP, and figured that anyone becoming active on Boris would never come back to NWP.

As time passed, I found that Boris actually became boring, and was pretty much a repository of inside jokes and weird levels. While I'm sure this was entertaining to those actively involved, I found it boring at this point, and that's pretty much when I realized that it would get very few new users, while NWP/DD was a lot more "accessible" to n00bs.

Comments

superallah: bro

wrenchjockey: did there

rum dick: you really shoulda joined in on the fun during the early days. woulda been a hoot.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One more Boris/NWP tidbit:

After Boris had been running for a few months and had been quite active, I had a conversation with Micon regarding Boris' threat to NWP.

I actually quoted Jewdonk's infamous statement of, "Boris is shitty website run by nobodies with no theme other than soviet era homoeroticism". I told him that Marty actually raised a great point with the "nobodies" and "no theme" statements, and that those two factors were the reason it would never get any kind of noticeable stream of new users.

I explained that, at the time, most of our new users were coming to NWP because they had heard of either me, Micon, or Dustin. Boris didn't have this. There were zero known or semi-known poker players posting on Boris, and indeed the site had no theme that was likely to attract the average poker fan/player.

I told Micon, "Basically, people in poker have no way to find Boris, and if they do, they won't recognize anyone, and will be confused by the theme and culture over there."

Micon agreed that this was likely true, but stated that he really wanted the old posters back. I told him that I did, too, but that we should just accept the fact that they were resisting our attempts to bring them back, stop trying, and hope that some return over time.

Comments

superallah: rep.

wrenchjockey: rep.

DRK Star: repping superallah and wrench rep

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I vaguely remember browsing boris78.com, but I may be mistaken as I remember a blue theme.

Thread Information