Thread: Dying Vet blasts Bush and Cheney in farewell letter

Bronze
    Load Metric

Dying Vet blasts Bush and Cheney in farewell letter

I am somewhat conflicted in that I would never criticize a guy who basically gave his life for his country. However, you can't pick and choose what you think is a noble cause to fight for. Being part of the military means you go to fight where the President says for you to go, even if you don't agree with it. Vietnam was probably infinitely worse. I completely disagree with his assertion that "hundreds of millions more in Iraq" are not better off today then when they lived in a police state and at any given moment could be tortured by Saddam's piece of shit kids. The world is a better place than it was with Saddam in power, although if I were dying due to injuries from the war, my perspective would probably be different.

Letter / Article:

An Iraq War veteran who joined the U.S. Army two days after 9/11 has written a powerful open letter to former President George W. Bush and ex-Vice President Dick Cheney accusing them of war crimes, "plunder" and "the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole."

Tomas Young, who was shot and paralyzed during an insurgent attack in Sadr City in 2004, five days into his first deployment, penned the letter from his Kansas City, Mo., home, where he's under hospice care.

"I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney," Young wrote in the letter published on Truthdig.com. "I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole."

The 33-year-old, who was the subject of Phil Donahue's 2007 documentary "Body of War," continued:
    I joined the Army two days after the 9/11 attacks. I joined the Army because our country had been attacked. I wanted to strike back at those who had killed some 3,000 of my fellow citizens. I did not join the Army to go to Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States. I did not join the Army to “liberate” Iraqis or to shut down mythical weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically called “democracy” in Baghdad and the Middle East. I did not join the Army to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq’s oil revenues.

Young believes he was injured fighting the wrong war:
    I would not be writing this letter if I had been wounded fighting in Afghanistan against those forces that carried out the attacks of 9/11. Had I been wounded there I would still be miserable because of my physical deterioration and imminent death, but I would at least have the comfort of knowing that my injuries were a consequence of my own decision to defend the country I love. I would not have to lie in my bed, my body filled with painkillers, my life ebbing away, and deal with the fact that hundreds of thousands of human beings, including children, including myself, were sacrificed by you for little more than the greed of oil companies, for your alliance with the oil sheiks in Saudi Arabia, and your insane visions of empire.

"When Tomas Young saw President Bush on television speaking from the ruins of the Twin Towers, his life changed," his bio on the "Body of War" website reads. "As his basic training began at Ft. Hood, he assumed that he would be shipped off to Afghanistan where the terrorist camps were based, routing out Al Qaeda and Taliban warriors. But soon, Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq."

In an interview with Truthdig.com, Young—who suffered an anoxic brain injury in 2008—said he had been contemplating "conventional" suicide, but decided to go on hospice care, "stop feeding and fade away."

He said, "This way, instead of committing the conventional suicide and I am out of the picture, people have a way to stop by or call and say their goodbyes," Young said. "I felt this was a fairer way to treat people than to just go out with a note."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...154541674.html

Load Metric
    50 Shades of John Kerry

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of people like to blast Bush/Cheney for the Iraq situation, but many forget that most signs really did point to the existence of WMDs there. In fact, the fact that they ultimately weren't found does not mean that they were never there. They could have easily have been destroyed, moved, or dismantled before or during the invasion.

Don't forget that Saddam had been working on a WMD program before the FIRST Gulf War (which occurred in 1991), and that same year he was being extremely difficult with allowing inspectors into the country to make sure that the program had ceased. Up until the invasion of Iraq, Saddam was playing an endless start-stop game with his WMD program, pledging to end development, and then refusing UN inspectors to suspicious facilities when it appeared he was lying. This went on for well over 10 years. I remember watching an old videotaped show of mine from the mid-1990s, and saw a few minutes of the news broadcast that followed. The top story was Saddam's WMD program and his refusal to cooperate with inspectors. It looked like the news broadcast was from right before the Iraq war, but instead it was from many years before that.

I feel for this guy, both for his deteriorating physical condition and for the fact that he signed up for the military because he really wanted to get al Qaeda, and instead got shipped off to Iraq, something he never thought he was going to be doing. Unfortunately, that's the reality of the military. You can join for the reasons you want, but ultimately you are giving up control of your life to those up the chain of command. Many people forgot that when they were enraged by 9/11 and immediately enlisted to help the fight. People like this guy are noble but, sadly, unrealistic.

I don't feel that Bush intentionally misled people, or secretly went to war for oil. You might not like Bush, and you might think he made a lot of bad decisions, but he was actually a principled guy who did what he felt was right. He was the opposite of Bill Clinton in that way. Clinton's every move was dictated by an attempt to achieve popularity. Bush's every move was dictated by an attempt to do exactly what he felt was right, regardless of what everyone else wanted. Both of these governing strategies are flawed. If you let popular opinion completely control your decision process, you often make the wrong moves and instead go with the "safe' choices in order to be liked. If you completely ignore popular opinion, you often act against the will of the public that elected you in the first place.

But my point is that many people paint Bush as this evil, dishonest guy who lied to everyone about WMDs so he could achieve his own agenda. I believe that Bush really believed there were WMDs at the time, and really believed he was doing both the world and Iraq's citizens a favor by invading that country. It's easy to cast Bush as a villain who either wanted the oil or wanted to finish Daddy's 1991 invasion, but it's not accurate.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I don't feel that Bush intentionally misled people,....

Have you ever watched Colin Powells presentation of WMD in Iraq at the UN? It is such a joke. So please dont say that the Bush administration did not intentionally (or negligently, which is as bad) misled people.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWright View Post
    Not that I believe your story but who the fuck ever gave you permission to use charitable funds for the good of your cock.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by pavoe View Post

I don't feel that Bush intentionally misled people,....

Have you ever watched Colin Powells presentation of WMD in Iraq at the UN? It is such a joke. So please dont say that the Bush administration did not intentionally (or negligently, which is as bad) misled people.
    Is it a "joke" based upon information we have now, or on information that was available at the time?

Big difference.

Load Metric
    I had the strong feeling while watching it that Powell himself was not convinced by the evidence he presented. Body language etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWright View Post
    Not that I believe your story but who the fuck ever gave you permission to use charitable funds for the good of your cock.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by pavoe View Post

Is it a "joke" based upon information we have now, or on information that was available at the time?

Big difference.
    Information available at the time. CIA, DIA, British MI6 all said BS, so Cheney formed a new unit at the Pentagon to go find the intelligence that supported his preferred conclusion and staffed it with guys who had a hard-on for another war in Iraq since the first Iraq war. And what do you know, they found it, or rather they disregarded the overall picture and cherry-picked a tiny fraction of the data and blew it out of proportion to make it appear to tell the story they wanted it to tell. Google "Office of Special Plans." Here's a head start, note the dateline of July 2003: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/jul/17/iraq.usa

Here is a 1998 letter to President Clinton written by the Project for the New American Century, a right-wing think tank, urging the removal of Saddam because of WMD and specifically mentions the need to secure Iraq's oil. http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraqclintonletter.htm. Note it was signed by Paul Wolfowitz, who later directed the Office of Special Plans that magically found the WMD evidence the CIA, DIA and MI6 didn't. It was also signed by Donald Rumsfeld who as Defense Secretary oversaw the OSP. Also signed by several future W. Bush administration officials. They wanted war with Iraq before W was even elected and as soon as he was elected they began working on a way to make it happen. 9/11 was manna from heaven for them. Within hours, as it was becoming apparent this was the work of OBL and al-Qaeda, they were already trying to figure out how to use it as justification for their wet dream of occupying Iraq.

Comments

Vwls: knowing shit

Load Metric
    welcome back HK

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

Big difference.
    Information available at the time. CIA, DIA, British MI6 all said BS, so Cheney formed a new unit at the Pentagon to go find the intelligence that supported his preferred conclusion and staffed it with guys who had a hard-on for another war in Iraq since the first Iraq war. And what do you know, they found it, or rather they disregarded the overall picture and cherry-picked a tiny fraction of the data and blew it out of proportion to make it appear to tell the story they wanted it to tell. Google "Office of Special Plans." Here's a head start, note the dateline of July 2003: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/jul/17/iraq.usa

Here is a 1998 letter to President Clinton written by the Project for the New American Century, a right-wing think tank, urging the removal of Saddam because of WMD and specifically mentions the need to secure Iraq's oil. http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraqclintonletter.htm. Note it was signed by Paul Wolfowitz, who later directed the Office of Special Plans that magically found the WMD evidence the CIA, DIA and MI6 didn't. It was also signed by Donald Rumsfeld who as Defense Secretary oversaw the OSP. Also signed by several future W. Bush administration officials. They wanted war with Iraq before W was even elected and as soon as he was elected they began working on a way to make it happen. 9/11 was manna from heaven for them. Within hours, as it was becoming apparent this was the work of OBL and al-Qaeda, they were already trying to figure out how to use it as justification for their wet dream of occupying Iraq.

The fun part of all of that is that Obama would have just hellfired his ass and been done with it.

Load Metric
    fuck cheney fuck bush and fuck there cabinet. all these motherfuckers should be in jail.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Big difference.

I do believe they wanted a war with Iraq and used 9/11 as an excuse (even I never bought the Iraq/al Qaeda connection), but I still don't believe it was primarily about the oil.

Saddam started and stopped his WMD program so many times during the 1990s that the US had gotten sick of it. It was clear that he would "cooperate" occasionally just to keep his country from being invaded/attacked, and then would go back to developing WMDs and tried to stall any of the agreed-upon inspections. The whole process was a joke, and Saddam was making a mockery of it. If the US sat and did nothing (or just made weak threats), Iraq would likely have WMDs at this point. Saddam was like a child disobeying his parents, and the parents threatening to spank him, but never following through. The child learned that he wouldn't ever face consequences. That's why Saddam was so brazen during the months leading up to the invasion. He convinced himself that it wouldn't really happen, because the US had been posturing for over 10 years and had done nothing.

At the time of the Iraq invasion, my feelings were, "Good. Time to put an end to this nonsense. I don't think this has anything to do with 9/11, but I'm glad something is finally being done."

I wasn't outraged when the WMDs weren't found. It was clear that Saddam had a real WMD program at various points throughout the '90s, and still wanted them. Whether WMDs existed at the moment of invasion was irrelevant.

I was less thrilled with the nation-building aspect of the Iraq war. That's why GHW Bush bailed out the first time around. He didn't want to get involved with doing that. This was something that should have been better thought out, and unfortunately caused the majority of American casualties in that war.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I don't feel that Bush intentionally misled people, or secretly went to war for oil. You might not like Bush, and you might think he made a lot of bad decisions, but he was actually a principled guy who did what he felt was right. He was the opposite of Bill Clinton in that way. Clinton's every move was dictated by an attempt to achieve popularity. Bush's every move was dictated by an attempt to do exactly what he felt was right, regardless of what everyone else wanted. Both of these governing strategies are flawed. If you let popular opinion completely control your decision process, you often make the wrong moves and instead go with the "safe' choices in order to be liked. If you completely ignore popular opinion, you often act against the will of the public that elected you in the first place.

But my point is that many people paint Bush as this evil, dishonest guy who lied to everyone about WMDs so he could achieve his own agenda. I believe that Bush really believed there were WMDs at the time, and really believed he was doing both the world and Iraq's citizens a favor by invading that country. It's easy to cast Bush as a villain who either wanted the oil or wanted to finish Daddy's 1991 invasion, but it's not accurate.
    People forget that the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993 for the first time. Al Quada striking the WTC in 2001 was YEARS in the making and it was during the Clinton years. There was a LOT of distractions in Clinton's second term, most of which was a President in his 50s getting his dicked sucked repeatedly by a college student in the Oval Office then spending a year covering it up.

You get that fucking fat pig dyke Rosie Odonnell claiming Bush allowed the towers to come down, when in all actuality the plot started in the mid 90s under Clinton while he was figuring out how to get out of the Lewinsky scandal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, not directly related, but shout out to Sandy Berger the 9/11 document thief:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...ified_material

This is barely ever discussed, and I don't know why.

When the 9/11 Commission was investigating Clinton's role in failing to prevent the 9/11 attacks, Berger stole documents out of the National Archives that made Clinton look bad. He clearly did this under Clinton's direction.

The Justice Department initially said Berger stole only copies of classified documents and not originals. But the House Government Reform Committee later revealed that an unsupervised Berger had been given access to classified files of original, uncopied, uninventoried documents on terrorism. Several Archives officials acknowledged that Berger could have stolen any number of items and they "would never know what, if any, original documents were missing".
    Remember this next time you think of blaming Bush for 9/11.

Load Metric
    AUTOMOBILE????!!!!

Load Metric
    Remember this next time you think of blaming Bush for 9/11.
    You mean the sitting President, who got a briefing entitled "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US" on August 6th, 2001? Clearly he is entirely blameless.

Load Metric

I do believe they wanted a war with Iraq and used 9/11 as an excuse (even I never bought the Iraq/al Qaeda connection),
    but I still don't believe it was primarily about the oil.

Saddam started and stopped his WMD program so many times during the 1990s that the US had gotten sick of it. It was clear that he would "cooperate" occasionally just to keep his country from being invaded/attacked, and then would go back to developing WMDs and tried to stall any of the agreed-upon inspections. The whole process was a joke, and Saddam was making a mockery of it. If the US sat and did nothing (or just made weak threats), Iraq would likely have WMDs at this point. Saddam was like a child disobeying his parents, and the parents threatening to spank him, but never following through. The child learned that he wouldn't ever face consequences. That's why Saddam was so brazen during the months leading up to the invasion. He convinced himself that it wouldn't really happen, because the US had been posturing for over 10 years and had done nothing.

At the time of the Iraq invasion, my feelings were, "Good. Time to put an end to this nonsense. I don't think this has anything to do with 9/11, but I'm glad something is finally being done."

I wasn't outraged when the WMDs weren't found. It was clear that Saddam had a real WMD program at various points throughout the '90s, and still wanted them. Whether WMDs existed at the moment of invasion was irrelevant.

I was less thrilled with the nation-building aspect of the Iraq war. That's why GHW Bush bailed out the first time around. He didn't want to get involved with doing that. This was something that should have been better thought out, and unfortunately caused the majority of American casualties in that war.
    I don't know how you can believe this, and view the war as anything besides a colossal failure on every front. First off, Saddam was a Muslim like Obama is a devout Christian. Neither are, but it's simply the rhetoric you have to espouse when you rule those perspective countries.

Even IF Saddam had developed any WMD outside nuclear weapons, which he never even got close to in the slightest, he still would not have posed any threat to us. I would argue even with nuclear weaponry he would have posed little risk, but the potential for that knowledge to seep out to actual fundamentalists would have been a concern. He was very clearly a leader hell bent on suppressing his own populace, and the Kurd uprisings, and possibly expanding his empire very locally, ala Kuwait. Staying in power was his only concern, and he knew full well that attempting any aggressive action toward the US would result in his total destruction and to an end like he eventually met.

He was never a true believer by any measure. We have so many threats in that region, and he was literally the least of them. What we left, a ruling party now comprised of actual true believers is far more dangerous than when he was in power even if he had a North Korean level of weaponery.

I recall right after the statue fell, the opinion polls in Iraq ran about 50/50 as to whether we had done the right thing. They were relieved he was gone, but the devil you know and all that to half the population. Had we immediately left, it would have simply been retarded as opposed to monumentally retarded. By the time we left, our popularity was 5%, and we were generally viewed as the devil, and we left that opinion, in conjunction with true believer rulers at the end of the day. That is the height of stupidity, and proves that every idea that Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Cheney,and W had regarding how the war would progress was proven to be sub-moronic by any measure. It is the definition of a total fail at every level.

It would have been incredibly stupid to remove Saddam had it not cost a dollar, or a life. That it also cost a trillion dollars conservatively just adds to how bad a decision it was.

Eventually, the new Iraq will be far more dangerous than the old Iraq ever could have been. It may be 20 years from now, like the Taliban we created to combat the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 80's, but it will come back to haunt us.

The only true danger ever to us are true fundamentalists, period. Saddam was the furthest thing from that. Dudes who give up lives of luxury and hundred million dollar fortunes to live in caves like OBL are true fundamentalists and a danger. Guys who build a dozen palaces, bring a different woman to one each night, and are only concerned with keeping that enviable position are not true fundamentalists. It's why we assisted Saddam during the Iran/Iraq war years ago, because we knew he was the far lesser evil in regards to our national security. He only posed a threat to his own people, which are now a people that hate us anyway, and which we generally had to treat exactly like he did in order to control and stabilize.
    Last edited by BCR; 03-20-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Load Metric
    Canada got a lot of shit for not participating in this colossal failure of a "war". I hope all Americans can now understand why. They knew at the time it was unjustified & was not supported by any credible evidence & this has been proven, without a doubt, in subsequent years.

Countries like Canada & France declining to be involved should have been a huge "red flag" that something was amiss. Canada stands for the same general morals & principles as the USA, so for us not to go is very telling but was never really "questioned" at the time.

Enough politics for today. I'm gonna have some "Freedom Fries" for lunch.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I do believe they wanted a war with Iraq and used 9/11 as an excuse (even I never bought the Iraq/al Qaeda connection),
    but I still don't believe it was primarily about the oil.

I don't know how you can believe this, and view the war as anything besides a colossal failure on every front. First off, Saddam was a Muslim like Obama is a devout Christian. Neither are, but it's simply the rhetoric you have to espouse when you rule those perspective countries.

Even IF Saddam had developed any WMD outside nuclear weapons, which he never even got close to in the slightest, he still would not have posed any threat to us. I would argue even with nuclear weaponry he would have posed little risk, but the potential for that knowledge to seep out to actual fundamentalists would have been a concern. He was very clearly a leader hell bent on suppressing his own populace, and the Kurd uprisings, and possibly expanding his empire very locally, ala Kuwait. Staying in power was his only concern, and he knew full well that attempting any aggressive action toward the US would result in his total destruction and to an end like he eventually met.

He was never a true believer by any measure. We have so many threats in that region, and he was literally the least of them. What we left, a ruling party now comprised of actual true believers is far more dangerous than when he was in power even if he had a North Korean level of weaponery.

I recall right after the statue fell, the opinion polls in Iraq ran about 50/50 as to whether we had done the right thing. They were relieved he was gone, but the devil you know and all that to half the population. Had we immediately left, it would have simply been retarded as opposed to monumentally retarded. By the time we left, our popularity was 5%, and we were generally viewed as the devil, and we left that opinion, in conjunction with true believer rulers at the end of the day. That is the height of stupidity, and proves that every idea that Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Cheney,and W had regarding how the war would progress was proven to be sub-moronic by any measure. It is the definition of a total fail at every level.

It would have been incredibly stupid to remove Saddam had it not cost a dollar, or a life. That it also cost a trillion dollars conservatively just adds to how bad a decision it was.

Eventually, the new Iraq will be far more dangerous than the old Iraq ever could have been. It may be 20 years from now, like the Taliban we created to combat the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 80's, but it will come back to haunt us.

The only true danger ever to us are true fundamentalists, period. Saddam was the furthest thing from that. Dudes who give up lives of luxury and hundred million dollar fortunes to live in caves like OBL are true fundamentalists and a danger. Guys who build a dozen palaces, bring a different woman to one each night, and are only concerned with keeping that enviable position are not true fundamentalists. It's why we assisted Saddam during the Iran/Iraq war years ago, because we knew he was the far lesser evil in regards to our national security. He only posed a threat to his own people, which are now a people that hate us anyway, and which we generally had to treat exactly like he did in order to control and stabilize.
    Well said BCR. I don't think Bush has ever been aware of anything. He is just a walking idiot for his dad and WWII-CIA-oil money-federal govt money friends of his dad. Cheney, Rove, Wolfowitz, Rice etc wanted the iraq war on an intense scale. All lies to make it happen were pronounced as gospel and a happily ever after scenario was repeated ad naseum.
    Never forget Rice has a Chevron tanker named after her and Cheney ran Haliburton/KBR. A lot of evil, rich pricks got richer, just impossible to prove as C-130s full of cash flew into Balad and the money was handed out to contractors by the truck full. KBR built and staffed the infrastructure of the bases. Profit maximization led to improperly treated water, electrocutions in the showers, sexual assult of Army men and women by contractors and on and on. American Base Defense Act made US contracting companies responsible for medical insurance of its employees. KBR was a "recruiting" company for a shell corp set up on some caribbean island. No medical ins for individual contractors. If you got shot or blown up you had to be resuced by the Army and recieve treatment from the military until you flew back into the states. Then you are on your own.
    Nothing good was achieved for middle America in this shameful conflict.
    Shias and Sunnis continue to blow each other up regularly. Iran helps the Shias and ships weapons to Assad in Syria. Arab Sunnis send help to anti-Assad forces thru Jordan. The Kurds in western Iraq, northeast Syria and southeast Turkey kill non Kurds every chance they get.
    The only peeps I give a damn about are the Americans that died, fought and did and saw shit that will affect them negatively forever. The fucking americans that caused this war deserve the worst old school curse you can think of. May you in body slowly become liquified slime of the worst odor and slowly drop body parts and have a host of flies and bugs eating upon you forever. That kind of old school curse.

Thread Information