Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Miami HEAT streak the greatest ever, 21 in a row?

Bronze
    Load Metric

Is the Miami HEAT streak the greatest ever, 21 in a row?

I will admit, I was a semi Lebron hater after the announcement, now I truly believe he will go down as the greatest basketball player ever, even surpassing Jordan. It's also amazing a guy of his incredible wealth and fame is a great citizen off the court as well.

While the Heat will eventually lose a game, I am pretty confident they will probably go through the entire playoffs with no more than 2 losses. This quite possibly is the best team ever assembled, the only rival is the 95/6 Bulls team.

It is simply astounding to win 21 straight games in today's NBA.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    I will admit, I was a semi Lebron hater after the announcement, now I truly believe he will go down as the greatest basketball player ever, even surpassing Jordan. It's also amazing a guy of his incredible wealth and fame is a great citizen off the court as well.

While the Heat will eventually lose a game, I am pretty confident they will probably go through the entire playoffs with no more than 2 losses. This quite possibly is the best team ever assembled, the only rival is the 95/6 Bulls team.

It is simply astounding to win 21 straight games in today's NBA.

Yes, Yes, oh mother of god yes.

What was the question?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Yeah, 21 wins in a row is kind of impressive. But you know what's even better?

22 games.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Yeah, 21 wins in a row is kind of impressive. But you know what's even better?

22 games.

Name:  Fail 4.gif
Views: 336
Size:  1.02 MB

Reason: Lack of spoilers
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    James is def the greatest physical specimen to ever play the game of basketball. His combo of size (6-8 270) speed and athleticism has never been seen before.

When he came out of high school I compared him to a combo of Magic Johnson, Tracy Mcgrady but with more muscle than those guys.

He has court vision that ranks of that with Magic and Bird. He can jump higher than anyone. He now has a post up game and is now consistently shooting the 3. And he is virtually impossible to stop on a fast break.

Statisticly speaking he has been as consistent as can be since he broke into the league. His teams always have winning records and some of those Cleveland teams even won 60 games.

He has a chance to win many many many more titles barring injury as well.

If I had a choice between Kobe, Lebron or Jordan I am taking James all day. He can play all 5 positions on the court and can dominate a game on the defensive end and he makes his teammates better than any of those guys ever did IMO.

As far as the streak it is impressive but the lakers won 33 straight in the early 70s. Thats almost half a season of not losing

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    James is def the greatest physical specimen to ever play the game of basketball. His combo of size (6-8 270) speed and athleticism has never been seen before.

When he came out of high school I compared him to a combo of Magic Johnson, Tracy Mcgrady but with more muscle than those guys.

He has court vision that ranks of that with Magic and Bird. He can jump higher than anyone. He now has a post up game and is now consistently shooting the 3. And he is virtually impossible to stop on a fast break.

Statisticly speaking he has been as consistent as can be since he broke into the league. His teams always have winning records and some of those Cleveland teams even won 60 games.

He has a chance to win many many many more titles barring injury as well.

If I had a choice between Kobe, Lebron or Jordan I am taking James all day. He can play all 5 positions on the court and can dominate a game on the defensive end and he makes his teammates better than any of those guys ever did IMO.

As far as the streak it is impressive but the lakers won 33 straight in the early 70s. Thats almost half a season of not losing
    This. When the Heat match, we can consider it. NBA was smaller then and talent more concentrated.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Banned
    Load Metric
    Rockets won 22 games in a row with a fucking skeleton crew, half the payroll sidelined. And by an average margin of like 12 points. It was incredible. I'm far less impressed with this stacked Miami team pulling it off. Let's see if they break 33.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    To get to 33 here is the schedule. It is obviously possible they could lose any game. All it takes is one bad shooting night OR a super hot night by any other team and some bad bounces and they could lose.
    Boston Could be a very tough game. @ Chicago is no joke. Knicks have a winning record vs the heat this year and if they can get to San Antonio that should be an epic battle. They should be favored in just about every game and if they can get to San Antonio with this streak going the game could be around a pick em. Other than that game they should be favored in every game

Mar 17 @Tor 1:00 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 18 @Bos 8:00 PM (tough game but should win)
    Mar 20 @Cle 7:00 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 22 Det 7:30 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 24 Char 6:00 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 25 @Orl 7:00 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 27 @Chi 8:00 PM (tough game but should win)
    Mar 29 @NO 8:00 PM (should be a win)
    Mar 31 @SA 7:00 PM ( TOUGH GAME!)
    Apr 2 NY 8:00 PM (should be a win but the knicks have played them tough)
    Apr 5 @Char 7:00 PM (should be a win)
    Apr 6 Phi 7:30 PM (should be a win)

IF they get to 33 which would be the philly game the last 6 or so games of the season after that are VERY VERY winnable games provided they are still playing starters.

Banned
    Load Metric
    To get to 33 here is the schedule. It is obviously possible they could lose any game. All it takes is one bad shooting night OR a super hot night by any other team and some bad bounces and they could lose.
    Boston Could be a very tough game. @ Chicago is no joke. Knicks have a winning record vs the heat this year and if they can get to San Antonio that should be an epic battle. They should be favored in just about every game and if they can get to San Antonio with this streak going the game could be around a pick em. Other than that game they should be favored in every game

IF they get to 33 which would be the philly game the last 6 or so games of the season after that are VERY VERY winnable games provided they are still playing starters.
    Even if they're 95% favorites against those 11 teams (which I doubt, but I'm not following basketball this year), their chances of winning all 11 are about 56%. Cut that in half when you factor in SA.

Cut it in half again if you only consider them 90% favorites against those 11 teams.

Pretty unlikely, but amazing that they even have a shot at pulling it off. I figured nobody would ever get close to touching that record.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Even if they're 95% favorites against those 11 teams (which I doubt, but I'm not following basketball this year), their chances of winning all 11 are about 56%. Cut that in half when you factor in SA.

Cut it in half again if you only consider them 90% favorites against those 11 teams.

Pretty unlikely, but amazing that they even have a shot at pulling it off. I figured nobody would ever get close to touching that record.
    They should be favored in every game accept San Antonio but if they keep murdering teams they may be favorites there too but more than likely S.A. will be slight fav

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And I agree with Srsly that 33 games in a row is ridiculously hard to do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    interesting WIKI of winning streaks here

Kentucky mens hoops won 129 straight home games over a 12 year period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_streak_(sports)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    When the Lakers did it there was also no form of salary cap, and it was a free for all without any restrictions on who you could sign.

Banned
    Load Metric
    They should be favored in every game accept San Antonio but if they keep murdering teams they may be favorites there too but more than likely S.A. will be slight fav
    How big of a favorite against those other teams? That makes an enormous difference in evaluating their chances.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    How big of a favorite against those other teams? That makes an enormous difference in evaluating their chances.
    What I saw last night, based upon their season as a foundation, this team in unbeatable. I really would be shocked if they lost more than 2 playoff games.

Of course anything can happen:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    These were the lines last time they played these teams

@ tor -5
    @ bos -5
    @ cleveland (they were -12 vs cleve @ home now Irving is out)
    det -9.5
    charlotte -14
    @ orlando -9.5
    @ chicago -3.5
    @ New Orleans (they were -14.5 @ home when they played)
    @ Spurs (they were -13 vs them but Spurs rested Ginobli, Duncan, Parker and Green. Spurs prob be favored here)
    Knick -9.5
    @ charlotte -9
    Philly -13

next 2 games are B2B on road vs Tor and Boston

2 other times they have B2b but should be heavy favs and these 2 scenarios neither is on the road

Chances of this happening on estimation are way below 50 % , just winning vs the Spurs will be close to a coinflip in itself.

Banned
    Load Metric
    interesting WIKI of winning streaks here

Kentucky mens hoops won 129 straight home games over a 12 year period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_streak_(sports)
    Wow, there are some insane streaks in here.

Jahangir Khan - 555 consecutive wins in squash.

Heather McKay - Undefeated in squash for 19 years.

Esther Vergeer - 10 years undefeated in wheelchair tennis. 470 consecutive matches, including a streak of 250 consecutive sets. I was laughed at for mentioning her in the "Greatest" thread.

Banned
    Load Metric

These were the lines last time they played these teams

@ tor -5
    @ bos -5
    @ cleveland (they were -12 vs cleve @ home now Irving is out)
    det -9.5
    charlotte -14
    @ orlando -9.5
    @ chicago -3.5
    @ New Orleans (they were -14.5 @ home when they played)
    @ Spurs (they were -13 vs them but Spurs rested Ginobli, Duncan, Parker and Green. Spurs prob be favored here)
    Knick -9.5
    @ charlotte -9
    Philly -13

next 2 games are B2B on road vs Tor and Boston

2 other times they have B2b but should be heavy favs and these 2 scenarios neither is on the road

Chances of this happening on estimation are way below 50 % , just winning vs the Spurs will be close to a coinflip in itself.
    I'd like to estimate their chances with a % probability for each game, or average across all games. Point spreads don't translate well to that. I think you can do it with moneyline though. Like if a team is -200, that gives them a 66% chance of winning. Right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric
    Thanks. So it works out to the following:

@ tor - 70.5%
    @ bos - 70.5%
    @ cleveland - 83%
    det - 80%
    charlotte - 85%
    @ orlando - 80%
    @ chicago - 63%
    @ New Orleans - 85%
    Knick - 80%
    @ charlotte - 80%
    Philly -84%

I have excluded the Spurs game. According to the odds makers, the Heat have a 6.4% chance of winning all 11 of these games. This is actually being generous because it doesn't account for the juice. Their chances should be even worse than 6%.

I did have to make some estimations converting point spreads to moneylines since the chart you provided doesn't go beyond -10. But this should be pretty close.

Thread Information