Thread: For those living in Vegas (legalized online gaming update)

Load Metric

For those living in Vegas (legalized online gaming update)

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news...likely-in-june

Nevada Internetz Poker Licenses Likely in June

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post

Still probably won't see any games running until 2013.

The most interesting part of the article was the statement that MGM plans to use BWin/Party software.

I think you're going to see a lot of this when legalized online poker comes to the US. Rather than develop their own software (a very expensive and time-consuming process), they will simply lease existing software.

I would actually like to be a poker room manager of one of these legalized online rooms. It's one of the few jobs I'd actually enjoy having. Obviously I'm very qualified, but would just need to get in with the right people. If anyone knows of contacts I could make regarding such a position (now or in the future), please let me know.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post

Still probably won't see any games running until 2013.

The most interesting part of the article was the statement that MGM plans to use BWin/Party software.

I think you're going to see a lot of this when legalized online poker comes to the US. Rather than develop their own software (a very expensive and time-consuming process), they will simply lease existing software.

I would actually like to be a poker room manager of one of these legalized online rooms. It's one of the few jobs I'd actually enjoy having. Obviously I'm very qualified, but would just need to get in with the right people. If anyone knows of contacts I could make regarding such a position (now or in the future), please let me know.
    The Nevada Gaming Control Board is actually very good at what they do. But one thing they are not is fast moving. I think we'll see cash games in 2014 at the absolute earliest. They will have to write basically an entire book of regulations from scratch.

And while this would be very cool and I would certainly participate, these games will not play like Party Poker circa 2006. A vast majority of the people eligible to play already live within a short drive from a poker room. The ones interested in playing poker are mostly at the tables already.

As for getting a job, I don't even know where to start. If you want to go to the trouble of creating a full resume, it couldn't hurt. You can try emailing some Director/VP level people if you can even get contact info, but your chances are not good. You may just have to email the HR departments in town with a cover letter that says "I'm applying for a job that doesn't exist. Please keep this on file and when that job does exist, let me know." HR department do actually keep resumes on file, but the chances of them pulling yours up again when the time comes are not great. If you're serious about this, you will probably have to peruse these companies employment sites every month or so and look for them to post something. The good news there is that there are only a handful of major players and you just have to search for the term "online poker". Now that I think about it, when these jobs do come into existence, they will probably search their resume files for the words "online poker". Obviously play up your computer science background too.

Thread Information