Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I used to feel sort of privileged to be able to watch Tiger Woods play golf live. I figured he would go down as the undisputed all-time greatest, perhaps the most dominant player of any "sport". And I was watching it happen in the moment. Maybe he still will, but it sure sucks that his career has taken a downturn.

I was a little too young to truly appreciate Jordan, but it's pretty cool that I was kind of around for that.

American Football is a little different because there's so many different positions. You can't really say that any individual was ever the best football player. But if you break it down by position, there have been players that were men among boys. Deion Sanders comes to mind.

Baseball does have figures that were ridiculously dominant for their time such as Ruth and Cobb.

I don't really follow Hockey, but my understanding is that Gretzky was basically unstoppable and embarrassed people.

His recent wins disagree with you, Tiger is back.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Sorry but they all look kinda the same to me.

And again, a big problem with American Football is Star power unrecognized. Unavoidable but still.
    Lots of people recognize AP, especially when he's in uniform. Naturally you don't because you don't care about football, which is exactly the point. It's silly of you to make statements like "football doesn't have any superstars" when you don't know anything about football. It would be equally ridiculous of me to say the same thing about soccer having never even heard of Lionel Messi. But I don't say weird things like that because I recognize that I'm completely ignorant about the sport.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    I used to feel sort of privileged to be able to watch Tiger Woods play golf live. I figured he would go down as the undisputed all-time greatest, perhaps the most dominant player of any "sport". And I was watching it happen in the moment. Maybe he still will, but it sure sucks that his career has taken a downturn.

His recent wins disagree with you, Tiger is back.
    So I've heard. That is wonderful news.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

And again, a big problem with American Football is Star power unrecognized. Unavoidable but still.
    Lots of people recognize AP, especially when he's in uniform. Naturally you don't because you don't care about football, which is exactly the point. It's silly of you to make statements like "football doesn't have any superstars" when you don't know anything about football. It would be equally ridiculous of me to say the same thing about soccer having never even heard of Lionel Messi. But I don't say weird things like that because I recognize that I'm completely ignorant about the sport.
    I've watched American and Canadian Football my since I was 7 or 8. Just because I'm a critic of the game doesn't mean I don't like it.

Also you continue to misread most everything I post. I did not say there are no "superstars" in football or baseball. My post is about the greatest(of all time perhaps)

If you have a chance to see one of the greatest of all time and you're a sports fan, then you should treat yourself and watch them play no matter what the sport.

Banned
    Load Metric

I've watched American and Canadian Football my since I was 7 or 8. Just because I'm a critic of the game doesn't mean I don't like it.

Also you continue to misread most everything I post. I did not say there are no "superstars" in football or baseball. My post is about the greatest(of all time perhaps)

If you have a chance to see one of the greatest of all time and you're a sports fan, then you should treat yourself and watch them play no matter what the sport.
    Poor phrasing on my part, but the point still stands. AP is the greatest running back (of all time perhaps). Do you still watch football? How could you and not know this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Poor phrasing on my part, but the point still stands. AP is the greatest running back (of all time perhaps). Do you still watch football? How could you and not know this?
    Adrian Peterson is obv a superstar but he doesn't even crack many peoples top ten. He's still young so who knows where he'll end up but it's too soon to say "greatest"

Here's a list for you with some good commentary for each back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...omlinsons-rank

Banned
    Load Metric

Adrian Peterson is obv a superstar but he doesn't even crack many peoples top ten. He's still young so who knows where he'll end up but it's too soon to say "greatest"

Here's a list for you with some good commentary for each back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...omlinsons-rank
    What I mean is that he's the greatest right now. I don't think there's much debate on that. In terms of all time, he might not be cracking anyone's top 10 right now, but there's still time for him to him to create that legacy. I think he's got a shot.

Load Metric
    A couple of greats from sports not often followed. The thing about them is if you ever watched them play while they were at their peak even a total nube to the sport would be impressed enough to remember the event forever.

I watched this guy play a spectator match in Toronto in the mid to late 80's. I don't think anyone has dominated a sport like him:

Name:  220px-Jahangir_Khan_in_Karachi_by_Faizan_Munawar_Varya.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  10.7 KB
    Name:  jahangir-khan.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  118.5 KB

This guy is still amazing. Watched him play live a half dozen times:

Name:  20110120-GM-JohnTavares0005.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  113.2 KB

Most of you won't know either of them. Khan is more popular in the world than any NFL player ever, besides maybe OJ but that was for his accomplishments off the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Khan is more popular in the world than any NFL player ever, besides maybe OJ but that was for his accomplishments off the field.

I hear there's a woman who absolutely crushes wheelchair tennis. Some say she's the most dominant athlete alive.

Ah, her name is Esther Vergeer. 42 grand slams!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vergeer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

1)Lots of people recognize AP, especially when he's in uniform.
    2)Naturally you don't because you don't care about football, which is exactly the point.
    3)It's silly of you to make statements like "football doesn't have any superstars" when you don't know anything about football.
    4)But I don't say weird things like that because I recognize that I'm completely ignorant about the sport.
    Speaking of silly how about you misreading everything about this thread to begin with. Then you turn around what has actually been said to fit your misunderstanding.

1) That's pretty funny, especially when he's in uniform?
    2)
    Where did this come from?
    3) Two misstatements pretty much grabbed out of thin air.
    4) Another misstatement made possible by previous misstatements

Banned
    Load Metric

1)Lots of people recognize AP, especially when he's in uniform.
    2)Naturally you don't because you don't care about football, which is exactly the point.
    3)It's silly of you to make statements like "football doesn't have any superstars" when you don't know anything about football.
    4)But I don't say weird things like that because I recognize that I'm completely ignorant about the sport.
    Speaking of silly how about you misreading everything about this thread to begin with. Then you turn around what has actually been said to fit your misunderstanding.

1) That's pretty funny, especially when he's in uniform?
    2)
    Where did this come from?
    3) Two misstatements pretty much grabbed out of thin air.
    4) Another misstatement made possible by previous misstatements
    I don't know les, maybe I suck at reading comprehension or assume too much. You've made a lot of posts talking about how much football sucks and how soccer is superior. You seem to have a disdain for all things American. Then you fail to recognize Adrian Peterson in a Vikings uniform, so I just figure that you don't watch football or know much about it.

Either way, I think you're being a bit pedantic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...ootball-League

I guess you're referring to this thread where I put forth the argument that Premier League Football offers a better fan experience. Didn't say the game was better. Didn't say football sucks. Yet another correction or two.
    Last edited by limitles; 03-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A couple of greats from sports not often followed. The thing about them is if you ever watched them play while they were at their peak even a total nube to the sport would be impressed enough to remember the event forever.

I watched this guy play a spectator match in Toronto in the mid to late 80's. I don't think anyone has dominated a sport like him:

Most of you won't know either of them. Khan is more popular in the world than any NFL player ever, besides maybe OJ but that was for his accomplishments off the field.
    Khan is a good example of "the greatest".
    I don't play or watch the sport but I know of his reputation. Who's the lacrosse player?

Load Metric
    I don't play or watch the sport but I know of his reputation. Who's the lacrosse player?
    John Tavares. Uncle to the NHL kid. DRK will know him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Name:  Phil_Taylor_1553124c.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  20.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Keep in mind I said greatest. And of course there are debates about the greatest but none of the players shown here would be described as the greatest imo.

I don't even know who the first guy is.
    At this point I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that AP is the best to ever play the game. If he stays healthy by the end of his career it might be cemented.

I just hope it never comes out that he was juicing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Keep in mind I said greatest. And of course there are debates about the greatest but none of the players shown here would be described as the greatest imo.

I don't even know who the first guy is.
    At this point I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that AP is the best to ever play the game. If he stays healthy by the end of his career it might be cemented.

I just hope it never comes out that he was juicing.
    I'll leave that argument for others but I just read this....

"Even if he doesn't break Dickerson's record, Peterson has already made plenty of history this season. Just a few weeks ago against Green Bay, he became the sixth fastest player to eclipse 8,000 career rushing yards. With his latest performance against the Rams, he became the sixth player in 50 years with four 200-yard rushing games and the fourth player in NFL history with 8,500 or more rushing yards and 75 or more rushing touchdowns in his first six seasons, per ESPN Stats & Info."

Load Metric
    if this was my site i'd make this : lol7 (maybe lol6)

and this would be the only : hof

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post

At this point I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that AP is the best to ever play the game.

uhhh I think he needs to stop shitting the bed each and every playoffs to be considered great imo. I think he runs up a lot of numbers/yards against the bottom 2/3 of the league's defenses myself.

Load Metric

LAX player is Tavares, who I think had the record for most goals in the Professional Indoor LAX league.

He came around right after I stopped playing. I used to watch the GAIT brothers out of Syracuse. They were the studs just before Tavares.

this is why everyone talked about the Gaits

Thread Information