Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unappreciative Angels renew Mike Trout at $20k over Major League minimum

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Unappreciative Angels renew Mike Trout at $20k over Major League minimum

The compensation system in baseball is so fucked up.

I understand that they need to keep young players cheap in order to reward the teams that spend time and money on developing talent, but the Angels had more flexibility than this and chose to give Trout the middle finger.

Trout is only going to make $510,000 in 2013. He hit .326 with 30 HR, 83 RBI, 129 runs, and 49 steals.

In other LA-area baseball news, Carl Crawford has been temporarily "shut down" because his elbow isn't getting better. Starting to look like they are going to have to kiss that money goodbye. The Red Sox have to be pretty happy with themselves right now. Acquiring an already-overpriced player with a long contract, who is also recovering from a major injury =

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I understand that they need to keep young players cheap in order to reward the teams that spend time and money on developing talent, but the Angels had more flexibility than this and chose to give Trout the middle finger.

Trout is only going to make $510,000 in 2013. He hit .326 with 30 HR, 83 RBI, 129 runs, and 49 steals.

In other LA-area baseball news, Carl Crawford has been temporarily "shut down" because his elbow isn't getting better. Starting to look like they are going to have to kiss that money goodbye. The Red Sox have to be pretty happy with themselves right now. Acquiring an already-overpriced player with a long contract, who is also recovering from a major injury =

This is the way all sports leagues are, prove you are worth X amount of dollars on your first contract so you can cash in on your second. One year doesn't mean shit in pro sports anyway, and while I am surely not saying he is a one year wonder let's see what he does over the next 5.

I won't be shedding any tears for Trout when he signs for $300 million in a few years, using the same system that is working against him to be used in his favor.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He definitely is worth more then that and will get his eventually but he's not worthy of being ranked #1 player in baseball after just one season imo:

http://brewernation.mlblogs.com/2013...ing-into-2013/

Load Metric
    I always think teams are idiotic for doing this with valuable assets given you want him to want to be there in a few years. Pay him a few million more than necessary, in the long run he MAY remember the loyalty, and it's small in the big picture. If I knew the kid was never going to resign with my team, that he wanted to geographically be elsewhere in a few years, then fuck him, pay him the minimum. I don't know where Trout falls into this equation, but I always think it's smarter to give these kids a big raise in the middle range and lock them up for a number of more years if they are open to it. Mark Shapiro signed a lot of promising young guys for mid range contracts for budding stars, 6-8 million a year, and had them locked down later for a few years more when they could have been making $20 million. Usually a kid will take a 6 year $48 million extension when they are in the early stage of their career, and for the last 3 years of that period, you're getting an incredible bargain.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I understand that they need to keep young players cheap in order to reward the teams that spend time and money on developing talent, but the Angels had m

Trout is only going to make $510,000 in 2013. He hit .326 with 30 HR, 83 RBI, 129 runs, and 49 steals

And he put up those numbers without playing in April. Take into account his defense in center, and it was truly one of the best seasons in the history of baseball.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I always think teams are idiotic for doing this with valuable assets given you want him to want to be there in a few years. Pay him a few million more than necessary, in the long run he MAY remember the loyalty, and it's small in the big picture. If I knew the kid was never going to resign with my team, that he wanted to geographically be elsewhere in a few years, then fuck him, pay him the minimum. I don't know where Trout falls into this equation, but I always think it's smarter to give these kids a big raise in the middle range and lock them up for a number of more years if they are open to it. Mark Shapiro signed a lot of promising young guys for mid range contracts for budding stars, 6-8 million a year, and had them locked down later for a few years more when they could have been making $20 million. Usually a kid will take a 6 year $48 million extension when they are in the early stage of their career, and for the last 3 years of that period, you're getting an incredible bargain.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Trout isn't in the "middle part" of anything, he is 21 years old. I agree with the theory of locking them up early, but again not after 1 year especially at only 21 years old. That seems to be the point everyone is missing, he hasn't put up 3-4 seasons like last year and is 25, he put up 1 and is 21. Huge difference. Tell me how many 21 year olds get locked up early, it has NEVER happened. Ever. Hell most are in A ball at that age making jack shit.

Matter of fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a lot of 22-23 year olds who have been locked up early. If you can be my guest, but I will almost guarantee even those guys are few and far between. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Evan Longoria who got signed to an extension at 22 years old and with only 1 year in the majors.

I am sure there are others, but it just hardly ever happens in their early 20's. Trout and every other player knows the business and they could care less what they are making in their first couple years, because they know the motherload is coming soon enough.

Load Metric
    Well, it's unique to have a kid be that good at 21. I know the Giants locked down Madison whatever for 5/35 at 22 last year. He was up and down for a few years, so I wouldn't call him a rookie or anything, but young and a smart move. The last 5 rookie of the year winners have averaged a bump of 22% just as a thank you, and none had close to the season Trout did. I don't think I would give a kid who had a Mantle-like season a 4% raise. That's insulting just in comparison to other ROY winners who had much lesser seasons.

Load Metric
    Absolutely 100% disagree with this premise. It's the way sports is supposed to work. He has another year even remotely approaching last year & he'll get paid.

Paying for 1 good season is insane but what even more insane is believing that overpaying now might result in loyalty down the road. Agents don't work that way. The Cleveland Indians of the mid to late 90's tried the locking young players up long term by basically buying a couple years of their second contract by overpaying now & it didn't work out worth a shit for them. It never does. There's a reason the average sports career is short.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Absolutely 100% disagree with this premise. It's the way sports is supposed to work. He has another year even remotely approaching last year & he'll get paid.

Paying for 1 good season is insane but what even more insane is believing that overpaying now might result in loyalty down the road. Agents don't work that way. The Cleveland Indians of the mid to late 90's tried the locking young players up long term by basically buying a couple years of their second contract by overpaying now & it didn't work out worth a shit for them. It never does. There's a reason the average sports career is short.
    I would much sooner take a chance with some moderate overspending on a player like Trout than take the same chance for the same money with a mediocre player.

Trout deserved a much bigger raise than this. I can understand why he doesn't get what a player with more experience would receive for the same season, but 510k these days is a joke.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm sure he is doing fine with endorsements

Load Metric

WTF are you talking about? That was the most successful run the Indians had in 50 years, and they were 2 outs from winning the WS and sold out 455 straight home games. Them locking down Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Lofton, and Nagy was huge for them to even have a chance at keeping those guys a bit longer than they otherwise could have. They missed on Baerga, as he had HOF numbers and then fell off the map, but that decision by John Hart(who I meant instead of Shapiro, though he was there too) is generally considered one of the best decisions ever made by a GM.

To this day teams are trying to emulate his moves like that in small markets. Example:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/12...ayers-the.html

As far as paying Trout, that is your opinion and I get it. For a team that burns money like Anaheim, it just seems niggardly over a few hundred k. The kid is a multidimensional player. Those types don't usually bust like some young power hitter who has 35 homeruns before pitchers figure him out, but I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see how offended he is and if it was a good decision.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Actually if that's what the indians did it did work out for them. They were often in the playoffs and nearly won a world series

Load Metric

WTF are you talking about? That was the most successful run the Indians had in 50 years, and they were 2 outs from winning the WS and sold out 455 straight home games. Them locking down Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Lofton, and Nagy was huge for them to even have a chance at keeping those guys a bit longer than they otherwise could have. They missed on Baerga, as he had HOF numbers and then fell off the map, but that decision by John Hart(who I meant instead of Shapiro, though he was there too) is generally considered one of the best decisions ever made by a GM.

To this day teams are trying to emulate his moves like that in small markets. Example:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/12...ayers-the.html

As far as paying Trout, that is your opinion and I get it. For a team that burns money like Anaheim, it just seems niggardly over a few hundred k. The kid is a multidimensional player. Those types don't usually bust like some young power hitter who has 35 homeruns before pitchers figure him out, but I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see how offended he is and if it was a good decision.
    Okay, I can see you missed my point. I acknowledge they had a good run & was probably not the worst decision John Hart made for a smaller market team.

My point was all those players left immediately when they could for bigger money. There was no loyalty shown by those guys because they were paid more than the team had to. Belle continued to be a fucking asshole & a black eye, from a PR perspective, for the team. Anaheim conducts themselves like a big market team. When he's due the money they'll give it to him just like a big market team. At least make him prove it one more time.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Trout isn't in the "middle part" of anything, he is 21 years old. I agree with the theory of locking them up early, but again not after 1 year especially at only 21 years old. That seems to be the point everyone is missing, he hasn't put up 3-4 seasons like last year and is 25, he put up 1 and is 21. Huge difference. Tell me how many 21 year olds get locked up early, it has NEVER happened. Ever. Hell most are in A ball at that age making jack shit.

Matter of fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a lot of 22-23 year olds who have been locked up early. If you can be my guest, but I will almost guarantee even those guys are few and far between. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Evan Longoria who got signed to an extension at 22 years old and with only 1 year in the majors.

I am sure there are others, but it just hardly ever happens in their early 20's. Trout and every other player knows the business and they could care less what they are making in their first couple years, because they know the motherload is coming soon enough.
    Bryce Harper signed a 5 year deal in 2010 for $9.9 million, and he hadn't even played in the majors yet and was only 19.

Load Metric
    The Angels will take care of him when the time comes if he continues to perform. The kid couldn't hit the ball in the big leagues 2 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I played poker once against some guy named Mike Trout and he runner runner a flush on me.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Bryce Harper signed a 5 year deal in 2010 for $9.9 million, and he hadn't even played in the majors yet and was only 19.
    That was his first contract as a rookie, for the top prospect of the last 25 years in the draft. It wasn't an extension after his rookie contract. Not comparable, different situation.

Load Metric
    $510,000? LOL, our weatherman makes more than him and i'm pretty sure the weatherman doesn't sell a hell of a lot of t-shirts with his name on them.

Load Metric
    the angels have so much money tied up in a mid to late thirties pujols, and josh hamilton who could go HAM(ilton) at any time and be out of baseball from injuries and/ or crack

and i understand they are going to make hella from their new tv contract, but they won't be able to pay trout the money he will get when he hits free agency

and besides the fact the angels will have tens of millions tied up, this contract is a slap in the face and trout won't forget how they treated him

an aside - while i was googling to see how high he was drafted and what his contract was i came upon an article talking about how the 6'1" trout came into spring training weighing 240lbs with just 9% body fat

hope he doesn't injure himself trying to get too strong (ped's) - 240 is a lot of weight to be carrying when you are diving for balls in the outfield and sliding headfirst into second base 40 times a year

Thread Information