Thread: Ken Scalir indirectly bought me lots of beer

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Ken Scalir indirectly bought me lots of beer

Wow. I used to listen to DD once in a great while and recently listened to the latest Poker Fraud podcasts because I was interested in the UB scandal stuff, but what intrigued me about the last episode was mention of a guy named Ken Scalir from the Los Angeles area who was 20 years old in 1990. You see, my friend and I have an odd connection to a guy by that name from CA (who happened to be 21 in 1991) and to this day we will still share a laugh whenever that name comes up. After doing some googling I realized that the Ken Scalir you mentioned and that appears to be somewhat famous in this community is indeed the same person I had two very brief interactions with in the early '90s. I'm a little nervous to share this because it involved some unscrupulous behavior by my friend and I when we were just 18 (we're now 40), but I feel like we didn't do anything all that outrageous for a couple teenagers and frankly I am too blown away not to share. Here it is:

In the fall of 1991 my friend and I were freshmen at UCSB living in Tropicana Gardens (off-campus student housing). We were roaming the streets of Isla Vista one night and wandered into a party on Del Playa Street. For reasons or circumstances I don't recall we started to talk to this incredibly wasted dude laying on the stairs inside the house. He was rambling about some stuff and at one point he pulled his wallet out of his pocket and literally handed it to us because he said he was so drunk he was scared he'd lose it. Definitely an intoxicated thing to do huh? Anyway, my friend sort of resembled him and when we noticed his drivers license said he was 21, we took it and gave him the wallet back and left the premises. A shitty thing to do? Yes. Would I do something like that now? Never. But we were 18 and this was a golden opportunity for a fake ID. As you can now probably guess, the name on the license was one Ken Scalir. We've never forgotten that name.

Over the next year or two my friend used Ken Scalir's drivers license to buy everybody alcohol (one time a server at a place called McBurley's refused him, though, because he said he knew Ken). My friend had memorized his birth date and address because sometimes the people selling alcohol would question him, which is the basis of another encounter with Ken a year or two later. My friend and I were standing outside a place called Anaconda (later Isla Vista Billiards Club) and we saw Ken. We were young and stupid and we yelled "Hey Ken" or something and he came over. He didn't know us and seemed confused and my friend pretended to be some sort of psychic guy rubbing his temples and saying his address and birth day and Ken was acting totally blown away and started asking my friend to tell him more about his life. I think my friend told him he was going to be a fireman or something later in life, but I'm not sure. That was the last time I had any interaction with Ken.

I didn't really know him at all, but I've never forgotten that name or the person. When I saw all those videos online I instantly realized that was 100% the same person whose ID my friend used in our early years at UCSB. So crazy how this all came back to me the instant I heard that name on the podcast. Anyway, I'm not proud of my involvement in taking his ID out of his wallet. It was certainly not personal against him at all, so if he even remembers losing his license in the fall of 1991 I sincerely want to apologize to him. Hopefully he can find some humor in this story all these years later.

Load Metric
    Lmao, wow, great first post. But not sure how you used Ken's ID. Did you look close enough alike? Ken's a pretty strange looking dude.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Druff is going to love this post assuming it's true, which I am guessing it is given you're dropping location names from the early 90's. I imagine a radio reunion is forthcoming.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I didn't use the ID my friend did. He resembled Ken closely enough to where I don't think he was ever denied alcohol (except the one time the person knew Ken).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's a great story.

I will ask Ken about this next time I talk to him.

The most surprising part of the story is NOT your theft of his ID, nor was it your friend's "psychic" act when you actually ran into him again.

It was the fact that he was supposedly "wasted" on the stairs at a Del Playa party. (For those of you that don't know, Del Playa is/was the "party street" of Isla Vista, the college town directly adjacent to UC Santa Barbara.)

Ken has never liked drinking, nor did he enjoy doing drugs. Occasionally he would drink or smoke pot if pressured to by peers (often to impress a girl), but never to excess. Perhaps that night was an exception, or perhaps he was just tired and you took it (understandably) for wastedness.

Funny story, though.

Ken did actually do favors for people who were under 21 and bought them alcohol.

I will ask him if he ever lost his ID in 1991, and if he recalls meeting guys on the street who gave him a psychic reading.

I went to UCSB also, and met Ken through the "ride board" in January 1991, as neither of us had cars at the time.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Please do ask him if he remembers. I'm almost certain he will at least remember losing his ID around that time. If he wasn't wasted the night we ran into him then holy cow he was acting strange. I'm pretty sure this one of the "exceptions" but who knows.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by kaartman View Post
    Wow. I used to listen to DD once in a great while and recently listened to the latest Poker Fraud podcasts because I was interested in the UB scandal stuff, but what intrigued me about the last episode was mention of a guy named Ken Scalir from the Los Angeles area who was 20 years old in 1990. You see, my friend and I have an odd connection to a guy by that name from CA (who happened to be 21 in 1991) and to this day we will still share a laugh whenever that name comes up. After doing some googling I realized that the Ken Scalir you mentioned and that appears to be somewhat famous in this community is indeed the same person I had two very brief interactions with in the early '90s. I'm a little nervous to share this because it involved some unscrupulous behavior by my friend and I when we were just 18 (we're now 40), but I feel like we didn't do anything all that outrageous for a couple teenagers and frankly I am too blown away not to share. Here it is:

In the fall of 1991 my friend and I were freshmen at UCSB living in Tropicana Gardens (off-campus student housing). We were roaming the streets of Isla Vista one night and wandered into a party on Del Playa Street. For reasons or circumstances I don't recall we started to talk to this incredibly wasted dude laying on the stairs inside the house. He was rambling about some stuff and at one point he pulled his wallet out of his pocket and literally handed it to us because he said he was so drunk he was scared he'd lose it. Definitely an intoxicated thing to do huh? Anyway, my friend sort of resembled him and when we noticed his drivers license said he was 21, we took it and gave him the wallet back and left the premises. A shitty thing to do? Yes. Would I do something like that now? Never. But we were 18 and this was a golden opportunity for a fake ID. As you can now probably guess, the name on the license was one Ken Scalir. We've never forgotten that name.

Over the next year or two my friend used Ken Scalir's drivers license to buy everybody alcohol (one time a server at a place called McBurley's refused him, though, because he said he knew Ken). My friend had memorized his birth date and address because sometimes the people selling alcohol would question him, which is the basis of another encounter with Ken a year or two later. My friend and I were standing outside a place called Anaconda (later Isla Vista Billiards Club) and we saw Ken. We were young and stupid and we yelled "Hey Ken" or something and he came over. He didn't know us and seemed confused and my friend pretended to be some sort of psychic guy rubbing his temples and saying his address and birth day and Ken was acting totally blown away and started asking my friend to tell him more about his life. I think my friend told him he was going to be a fireman or something later in life, but I'm not sure. That was the last time I had any interaction with Ken.

I didn't really know him at all, but I've never forgotten that name or the person. When I saw all those videos online I instantly realized that was 100% the same person whose ID my friend used in our early years at UCSB. So crazy how this all came back to me the instant I heard that name on the podcast. Anyway, I'm not proud of my involvement in taking his ID out of his wallet. It was certainly not personal against him at all, so if he even remembers losing his license in the fall of 1991 I sincerely want to apologize to him. Hopefully he can find some humor in this story all these years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Druff, please wait until radio to bring this up to Ken. Also Kaartman, I imagine you will be running a bap soon. Pencil me in for 10 shares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric
    Such an awesome story on all fronts.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Get both of these motherfuckers on radio STAT!!

And don't tell Scalir you are bringing this guy on!

Radio GOLD.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Whole story is bullshit

1) So Ken handed his wallet over because he was so wasted he would be afraid he would lose it? I have done some crazy shit while loaded, but handing your wallet over to a stranger? No

2) Your friend just happen to notice the birthdate of the license for a fake ID to buy liquor? Fucking ridiculousness. Nobody scans a license in a hallway with a guy passed out.

Totally made up.

Load Metric
    Anyway, my friend sort of resembled him.
    not shitty thing really....because if i looked like Ken Scalir, I would want to get drunk and stay that way

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    Whole story is bullshit

1) So Ken handed his wallet over because he was so wasted he would be afraid he would lose it? I have done some crazy shit while loaded, but handing your wallet over to a stranger? No

2) Your friend just happen to notice the birthdate of the license for a fake ID to buy liquor? Fucking ridiculousness. Nobody scans a license in a hallway with a guy passed out.

Totally made up.
    Sounds like something Scalir would do IMO, (based on the stories he has told of himself.)

Not sure what intelligence you think is required to look at a license for a birth date, but I'm sure any under age drinker could pull it off.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Whole story is bullshit

Totally made up.
    I have nothing to gain from posting this story on a forum I never previously participated in and where I don't know anybody. Anyway, I'm not interested in trying to convince people the story is true. It is true, but I can't prove it, so I'd rather just wait for Druff to ask Ken if he remembers losing his license around that time. I'm pretty confident he will, but if not, oh well...

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Whole story is bullshit

Totally made up.
    Was bottomset every suspected of being BS Detector?

Load Metric
    kaartman I would like to buy into your bap. There are also lots of naive people here, so you should really go for 7500 instead of 5k like jasep.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I asked Ken about it.

He had no memory of being so drunk at any time at UCSB.

He had a faint memory of losing his ID, but said that he has lost his ID so many times in his life, it's all becoming a blur. (He has no ID right now, by the way.)

He had a faint memory of the psychic act, but said that the memory is so faint that he's not sure if it actually happened or he just thinks it happened since I told him about it.

Overall, I believe the story, but I'm afraid Ken doesn't have much memory of it.

Load Metric
    Whole story is bullshit

Totally made up.
    I have nothing to gain from posting this story on a forum I never previously participated in and where I don't know anybody. Anyway, I'm not interested in trying to convince people the story is true. It is true, but I can't prove it, so I'd rather just wait for Druff to ask Ken if he remembers losing his license around that time. I'm pretty confident he will, but if not, oh well...
    Don't mind The_PHA, he tries to debunk pretty much every story anyone posts. Sometimes he's right on, other times he is stretching just to cause some controversy. I think the majority of people here believe you. Thanks for the laughs.

Thread Information