Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guide to raising your credit score.

Load Metric

Guide to raising your credit score.

This is a multi-part guide to helping you raise your credit score, understanding how your credit score is modeled and helping you create a gameplan to improve your score over time.

Feel free to ask questions and I will help. Maybe this thread can help people track their progress.

What is my credit score?

Your credit score is nothing more than how good are you at being in debt.

Why is it important?

Your credit score (usually the FICO score) and your income help determine how much credit and what interest rate you will be able to get. It drives your ability to buy a house, get a car loan, and buy cool expense toys interest free.

Why should I listen to you?

Three years ago I decided to actually start caring about my score and what it might take to raise it so I could purchase the things that my income was affording me. I had, had one credit card in college that I basically paid on for awhile and then gave it the middle finger and didn't think twice about it. Once I wanted to get a car loan I was denied, and figured out that I needed to build and repair my credit.

Starting in August 2009 I had between a 590-620 credit score at all three credit agencies today I have a credit score of:

Name:  CreditScore.png
Views: 913
Size:  6.3 KB

What makes up your credit score?

Open Credit Card Utilizatoin, Percent of On-Time Payments, Average age of Open Credit Lines, Total Number of Credit Accounts, Number of times requesting credit in the last two years, Derogatory Marks (collections, bankruptcies, liens, etc).

Below I detail the process to take to raise your credit score. This is not an overnight solution but if you are committed within a couple years your score will increase significantly.

Step 1 - Take care of the old stuff.

The first thing you need to do is go to AnnualCreditReport.com and request the free credit report from each agency. You can do this once a year and it will give you a detailed look at everything that is on your credit report. Second go to CreditKarma.com and sign-up (it's 100% free) this will be what you use to monitor your credit going forward.

Look through these reports, make sure everything on there is accurate. If there is an error you need to dispute this with the credit agency. There are many excellent places online that will help teach you how to write a dispute letter, Google it.

Now you need to figure out what is in collections or late that you need to make plans to pay off. First you need to look at your credit report and figure out when you first began to have late payments. That first late payment is when the magical 7 year clock begins. Negative credit items fall off your credit report 7 years after they began. The debt never goes away (although the ability to collect on it may, timelines vary by state) but it will fall off your credit report. If something is 6 years or older since you first went late, don't make plans to pay it off until it disappears from your credit report.

Everything else you need to call and setup a payment plan or pay in full. This is going to be the hardest part of the whole process, it's not fun dealing with creditors, they are pricks. You should generally negotiate to the original debt owed and try to eliminate all accured interest. Make sure your setup plans that you can afford to pay monthly and never miss a payment!

Step 2 - Secured Credit your friend for the future.

If you have credit cards already you need to get your balance down to between 1% and 20% of the cards limit. You do not need to actually carry the balance month to month (meaning you don't need to collect interest). If you make payments in full and your utilization is between 1 and 20% you are good to go.

If you do not have a credit card already let me introduce you to how you are going to build credit. It's called a Secured Credit Card (I like Wells Fargo and US Bank's). This is a card where you basically submit a deposit and that is your credit limit. It is called Secure because if you don't pay they just take it from your deposit. Yes, you can get your deposit back if you ever close the card, and many cards will give you the deposit back in the future and roll you into a traditional card. What I would suggest is opening two cards, with $500 credit limits each. You are going to make charges between that 1% and 20% utilization each month and you are going to pay it off in full. They will then report your on-time payments to the credit agencies and your credit score will start to go up.

Step 3 - Buliding Blocks for the Future

Always use your card every month, zero balance is worse than a low balance. Remember you can pay in full and not pay any interest.

Keep your credit card utilization between 1% and 20% always!

Always pay on-time, even if it is the minimum.

Never close credit cards, the age of your open credit lines is a big determining factor of your score. We are going to take an initial hit by opening secured credit cards, but in the long run you want to keep these open.

Don't apply for lots of credit. Generally you don't want more than 2 Hard Credit Inquiries every two years. A hard credit inquiry is the actual request for Credit. 1 per year is perfect. So in general you aren't going to apply for a house and get a car loan in the same year. Don't use shady loan companies, sometimes you can end up with 10-20 requests because they sell your information to all these different companies that then do a hard inquiry on your credit.

The more credit accounts you have over time the better your score. Remember that length of credit is important but so is the number of accounts. Generally it is a good idea to have 7-10 things on your credit score. For most people this could mean a house, a car (or two), a couple credit cards, maybe a student loan or two.

Dregatory Remarks - This is simple your credit score doesn't like collections, liens, bankruptcies....avoid it in the future.

Types of credit - You need to have both installment debt (mortgage, car, student) and revolving debt (credit card).

If you have specific questions about your situation feel free to post it or shoot me a PM and I will give you feedback.
    Last edited by abrown83; 02-23-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Readability Fixes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nice write up!

It's a widely spread myth that keeping a balance on your card at all times never paying in full don't establish your credit or increase your rating but that is not the case at all.

If you can't pay in full then you always want to make your payment on time since if you start missing payments for various things it will hurt our credit score.

I've paid in full my entire life except for those store cards like Best Buy when they offer you the 18 months 0% financing. This is a perfect time to make payments but make sure the card is paid off by the time the Zero Percent Financing period is up otherwise they will hit you with back interest for the entire time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Nice write up!

It's a widely spread myth that keeping a balance on your card at all times never paying in full don't establish your credit or increase your rating but that is not the case at all.

If you can't pay in full then you always want to make your payment on time since if you start missing payments for various things it will hurt our credit score.

I've paid in full my entire life except for those store cards like Best Buy when they offer you the 18 months 0% financing. This is a perfect time to make payments but make sure the card is paid off by the time the Zero Percent Financing period is up otherwise they will hit you with back interest for the entire time.
    I read a study the other day that said 88% of people who take advantage of zero percent interest offers don't pay it off in time and get smacked with the back interest charges....ouch!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    I read a study the other day that said 88% of people who take advantage of zero percent interest offers don't pay it off in time and get smacked with the back interest charges....ouch!
    I believe it! That is what the stores hope for when running a promotion like that along with capitalizing on the market share giving people that extra push to buy something they want.

Most people don't pay their credit cards off every month. Their are a lot of individuals that try to get as many cards as possible and look at it as available money which it is but at a hefty price over the long run.

When some people go to look for a home or car loan they run the credit report and if someone has a bunch of credit debt or too much open credit they can use it don't help them with the bank.

I have a couple cards but I charge just about everything on a Chase Business Card. This card gets me 1% back on everything at minimum but I get 3% back on Gas Purchases and Restaurants. Every time I get to $50 worth of points I go online and have them apply the $50 credit to my next bill.

Load Metric
    Want to know where you rank?

After you get your score this is the national distribution of credit scores.

Name:  CreditDistribution.png
Views: 799
Size:  36.0 KB

Load Metric
    Last time I checked my credit rating it was:

Anyway I can improve on that?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    hof post

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    FYP

Name:  CreditDistribution2.png
Views: 655
Size:  37.0 KB

Comments

nunbeater: deserves more love rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Last time I checked my credit rating it was:

Anyway I can improve on that?
    As someone who analyzes credit for a living, don't waste your time. Nothing will affect it enough to matter unless you miss payments.

There is no incentive I've ever seen to have a score over 740, and even that is like nothing over a guy w/ a 720.
    680-700 seem to be the plateau.

If you were getting graded in school,
    like 700 would be an A
    so 680 is like a B,
    660 like a C +,
    640 C-
    and 620 like a D
    600 and below would be an F

That was a great write up, and the guy that mentioned keeping balances, that is when you are trying to go from 740 to 780, you start looking at weird shit like that. Just pay on time and your score will be fine, unless you are over extended, and I'm pretty sure that is the % of what you owe compared to how much is offered to you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So I pulled my credit report today. While reviewing everything I got to a part that says "address Information"

It correctly lists my last 3 adresses but then there is a 4th address which is a deceased family members address. I have never lived there. Says last reported 7/21/2010

What should I make of this?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    So I pulled my credit report today. While reviewing everything I got to a part that says "address Information"

It correctly lists my last 3 adresses but then there is a 4th address which is a deceased family members address. I have never lived there. Says last reported 7/21/2010

Did you have any joint ownership in property with this person?

Property could mean anything not just a house obviously.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This is actually where my father lived before he passed away. I was under the impression he, my aunt and my uncle owned the house along with their cousins. I never owned a piece of this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also I pulled the report from Equifax. I have one outstanding medical bill that I thought I was going to see on this report but it is not there. Collections have been up my ass about it. Would it show up on any of the other 2? Am I allowed to grab trans Union and Experian as well for free right now?

Load Metric

This is actually where my father lived before he passed away. I was under the impression he, my aunt and my uncle owned the house along with their cousins. I never owned a piece of this
    Did you both own the same car that had payments on it or did he ever guarantee a loan while living there or sign on a lease?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    do I get my credit score on creditkarma for free? Experian tried to charge me 8 bucks

Load Metric
    Also I pulled the report from Equifax. I have one outstanding medical bill that I thought I was going to see on this report but it is not there. Collections have been up my ass about it. Would it show up on any of the other 2? Am I allowed to grab trans Union and Experian as well for free right now?
    Through Annual Credit Report, one free one, per agency, per year.

So yes you should be able to get it from them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Did you both own the same car that had payments on it or did he ever guarantee a loan while living there or sign on a lease?
    Never owned the same car. I inherited cars but they were never in my name.

He never signed anything for me

Load Metric
    do I get my credit score on creditkarma for free? Experian tried to charge me 8 bucks
    Yes it is different than a FICO score which is what they use when giving you a loan but they are usually with in 20 or so points of each other.

Experian's wouldn't be a FICO either. Each agency has their own scoring model and FICO is independent of that.

So go with CreditKarma.

Load Metric
    This is a multi-part guide to helping you raise your credit score, understanding how your credit score is modeled and helping you create a gameplan to improve your score over time.

Feel free to ask questions and I will help. Maybe this thread can help people track their progress.

What is my credit score?

Your credit score is nothing more than how good are you at being in debt.

Why is it important?

Your credit score (usually the FICO score) and your income help determine how much credit and what interest rate you will be able to get. It drives your ability to buy a house, get a car loan, and buy cool expense toys interest free.

Why should I listen to you?

Three years ago I decided to actually start caring about my score and what it might take to raise it so I could purchase the things that my income was affording me. I had, had one credit card in college that I basically paid on for awhile and then gave it the middle finger and didn't think twice about it. Once I wanted to get a car loan I was denied, and figured out that I needed to build and repair my credit.

Starting in August 2009 I had between a 590-620 credit score at all three credit agencies today I have a credit score of:

Name:  CreditScore.png
Views: 913
Size:  6.3 KB

What makes up your credit score?

Open Credit Card Utilizatoin, Percent of On-Time Payments, Average age of Open Credit Lines, Total Number of Credit Accounts, Number of times requesting credit in the last two years, Derogatory Marks (collections, bankruptcies, liens, etc).

Below I detail the process to take to raise your credit score. This is not an overnight solution but if you are committed within a couple years your score will increase significantly.

Step 1 - Take care of the old stuff.

The first thing you need to do is go to AnnualCreditReport.com and request the free credit report from each agency. You can do this once a year and it will give you a detailed look at everything that is on your credit report. Second go to CreditKarma.com and sign-up (it's 100% free) this will be what you use to monitor your credit going forward.

Look through these reports, make sure everything on there is accurate. If there is an error you need to dispute this with the credit agency. There are many excellent places online that will help teach you how to write a dispute letter, Google it.

Now you need to figure out what is in collections or late that you need to make plans to pay off. First you need to look at your credit report and figure out when you first began to have late payments. That first late payment is when the magical 7 year clock begins. Negative credit items fall off your credit report 7 years after they began. The debt never goes away (although the ability to collect on it may, timelines vary by state) but it will fall off your credit report. If something is 6 years or older since you first went late, don't make plans to pay it off until it disappears from your credit report.

Everything else you need to call and setup a payment plan or pay in full. This is going to be the hardest part of the whole process, it's not fun dealing with creditors, they are pricks. You should generally negotiate to the original debt owed and try to eliminate all accured interest. Make sure your setup plans that you can afford to pay monthly and never miss a payment!

Step 2 - Secured Credit your friend for the future.

If you have credit cards already you need to get your balance down to between 1% and 20% of the cards limit. You do not need to actually carry the balance month to month (meaning you don't need to collect interest). If you make payments in full and your utilization is between 1 and 20% you are good to go.

If you do not have a credit card already let me introduce you to how you are going to build credit. It's called a Secured Credit Card (I like Wells Fargo and US Bank's). This is a card where you basically submit a deposit and that is your credit limit. It is called Secure because if you don't pay they just take it from your deposit. Yes, you can get your deposit back if you ever close the card, and many cards will give you the deposit back in the future and roll you into a traditional card. What I would suggest is opening two cards, with $500 credit limits each. You are going to make charges between that 1% and 20% utilization each month and you are going to pay it off in full. They will then report your on-time payments to the credit agencies and your credit score will start to go up.

Step 3 - Buliding Blocks for the Future

Always use your card every month, zero balance is worse than a low balance. Remember you can pay in full and not pay any interest.

Keep your credit card utilization between 1% and 20% always!

Always pay on-time, even if it is the minimum.

Never close credit cards, the age of your open credit lines is a big determining factor of your score. We are going to take an initial hit by opening secured credit cards, but in the long run you want to keep these open.

Don't apply for lots of credit. Generally you don't want more than 2 Hard Credit Inquiries every two years. A hard credit inquiry is the actual request for Credit. 1 per year is perfect. So in general you aren't going to apply for a house and get a car loan in the same year. Don't use shady loan companies, sometimes you can end up with 10-20 requests because they sell your information to all these different companies that then do a hard inquiry on your credit.

The more credit accounts you have over time the better your score. Remember that length of credit is important but so is the number of accounts. Generally it is a good idea to have 7-10 things on your credit score. For most people this could mean a house, a car (or two), a couple credit cards, maybe a student loan or two.

Dregatory Remarks - This is simple your credit score doesn't like collections, liens, bankruptcies....avoid it in the future.

Types of credit - You need to have both installment debt (mortgage, car, student) and revolving debt (credit card).

If you have specific questions about your situation feel free to post it or shoot me a PM and I will give you feedback.

You left out the easiest and most efficient way to do it quickly if you have the opportunity. Piggyback on the card of someone incredibly reliable if they are family. You used to be able to piggyback on anyone's card for a fee brokered by 3rd party companies, but now it has to be immediate family. I, and my father, raised my uncle's from 590 to 740 in 14 months by adding him to all our cards that allowed authorized users.(you need to call, most cards allow for this, a few don't) Understand trust is paramount in this situation on both sides. My uncle got the cards, brought them to us, and we simply cut them up. I trusted his character implicitly, and knew the exact details of why his credit was wrecked. He wanted us to cut them up, we wouldn't have even cared, as he's of sterling character. He just didn't want the chance to get one stolen or lost. The people I would do this for number 3 in this world. He also had to trust we wouldn't do anything negative, as he was associated with said cards also, and anything bad would reflect negatively on him. So, if you have a reasonable excuse for having bad credit, and one of those fathers or brothers who trusts you, and pays his bills the day he gets them, this is by far the quickest and most efficient way to bolster it. Get added to 10 cards with $20k limits and you will literally jump up way quicker than going the whole secured card route. Most don't have this opportunity, and otherwise, ABrown's advice seems solid.

If you happen to have this situation, you can forget the old bad shit and not even worry about it. You can literally bury the bad debt with good credit. I think if you had say $30k in bad debt, and the money to fix it, it's far smarter to hand it to your mother and say to add you to 3 cards with $10k credit lines and allow her to hold your money for surety, and then she could give it back to you in time if you didn't fuck her over. paying back your old debts is more moral, but this way is more effective.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Will have some more info on the adress I was talking about, I see it on one of the other reports

Thread Information