Thread: Best way to connect this laptop to TV for Netflix ( I don't have Google)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Best way to connect this laptop to TV for Netflix ( I don't have Google)

So I finally got around to getting Netflix last week and tried to hook up my laptop to the living room TV and low and behold the laptop does not have an HDMI port which is what I planned on using. So I hooked up an old Wii for the Netflix and it works fine.

But in my bedroom it is a different story. I was planning on going HDMI from the laptop to both TVs but obv the laptop does not have that so what is my best betas far as hookup for the best picture possible. I dont care if it sucks I just want the best one possible. Here are the ports. Link to proper cable would be top top

Laptop

Tv

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    usb videocard with HDMI
    Something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GUC2025.../dp/B004OA73PW

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    usb videocard with HDMI
    Something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GUC2025.../dp/B004OA73PW
    tyty sir

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cheap is VGA cord. or don't be a cheap ass and buy Roku or Apple TV.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    You could also use your monitor connection from the laptop to the tv. You have both connections, and you just need a monitor cable. I do this with my daughter's netbook for Netflix on her tv.

Joe

Banned
    Load Metric
    Buy a used PS3 then you get the added benefit of it being a blue ray player. I never play games on it but it is great for Netflix and movies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeU View Post
    You could also use your monitor connection from the laptop to the tv. You have both connections, and you just need a monitor cable. I do this with my daughter's netbook for Netflix on her tv.

Joe
    this right here. Simple VGA cable with sound on it, a 25ft cable cost me $15. Best investment ever.

Load Metric
    just get apple tv it all redy has netflix and a bunch of other cool shit installed also will connect wirelesly to your laptop as well... your laptop dosent have to be apple and only one hundred bucks
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Why people pay for netflix or any type of tv service still shocks me. Yes I know you can't stream HD in most cases, and for sports that's a big thing for me, but saving x amount per month and just watching any movie, tv show, or sporting event for free whenever and wherever I want makes up for not having hd. I'm about to buy my first place in the next or so and I refuse to pay for any tv service. Just give me an internet connection and I'm good to go.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post
    Why people pay for netflix or any type of tv service still shocks me. Yes I know you can't stream HD in most cases, and for sports that's a big thing for me, but saving x amount per month and just watching any movie, tv show, or sporting event for free whenever and wherever I want makes up for not having hd. I'm about to buy my first place in the next or so and I refuse to pay for any tv service. Just give me an internet connection and I'm good to go.
    Several reasons

1) they beleive in paying for a service and not stealing.
    2) quality of netflix is much better than free streams, more convenient, and saves time (no viruses, no broken link, crappy streams, terrible search engines etc etc)
    3) 10-15 bucks a month is like nothing and unless you are on welfare should have little impact on you financially.
    4) You can still illegally stream on top of having netflix

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Several reasons

2) quality of netflix is much better than free streams, more convenient, and saves time (no viruses, no broken link, crappy streams, terrible search engines etc etc)
    3) 10-15 bucks a month is like nothing and unless you are on welfare should have little impact on you financially.

This is really all that needs to be said.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Several reasons

HD is mandatory plus not stealing is cool. It's one thing to stream an event now and again for free but it's entirely another to make stealing any and all tv, movie, sports, etc a lifestyle choice.

Sorry handicapme, but that makes you a thief.

Load Metric
    Wait, what the fuck do you mean you don't have Google? How can you not have Google?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    Wait, what the fuck do you mean you don't have Google? How can you not have Google?
    I have yahoo but not google and the yahoo search engine sucks, not paying for the google search engine

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    I have yahoo but not google and the yahoo search engine sucks, not paying for the google search engine
    Why would you ever pay for a search engine, them shits are free as fuck? www.google.com yo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Several reasons

HD is mandatory plus not stealing is cool. It's one thing to stream an event now and again for free but it's entirely another to make stealing any and all tv, movie, sports, etc a lifestyle choice.

Sorry handicapme, but that makes you a thief.
    Eh, I guess we have different definitions of thief.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric

What in the blue hell are you talking about?? Is this a level China?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Netflix streaming is only 8 bucks a month and worth every penny. I sometimes pirate stuff too, but much of the time I don't need to.

One reason piracy is rampant is because the pirates simply offer a better product. You don't get dicked over by late release dates in certain countries, or forced to sit through unskippable trailers and FBI warnings. You can watch what you want on any device without hassle. There is no price discrimination.

Some people pirate stuff because they simply don't want to pay. But companies like Netflix have proven that many people are happy to open their wallets for a good product. I know a lot of people that used to pirate everything, but now use services like Netflix. I'm one of them.

On topic: if you just want to watch Netflix on TV, you may want to look into just getting something like Roku. It has other features, but I mainly use it for Netflix. It's not bad.

http://www.roku.com/

Otherwise, I think your best bet for picture quality with laptop -> TV is component cables.

Load Metric
    God

Load Metric
    And to tag on what Ss said about unskippable previews

If the movie studios want me to not pirate the movie, they need to make these mandatory previews shorter than the time it takes me to torrent the movie for free

Thread Information