My friend and I had a conversation tonight, which might have gotten a bit out of control. I need some serious responses though from you so that we can both see what the other needs to work on. Again, serious replies would be appreciated.

I was speaking to her about social norms when she told me that back when she was around 20, she went with her boyfriend to Six Flags/Great America here in IL. She was telling me about how she didnt care what people thought of her because when she dies, none of those people will matter. I was trying to explain to her though that people will ALWAYS judge you based on your actions, attire, words, etc, so you should be cognizant of how you behave in certain environments. This is when things got ugly....

Her: I went to Great America and wore a shirt that said FUCK YOU on it.

Me: What?! Why would you want to even do that?

Her: Who cares

Me: There are kids there.

Her: Its an Adult theme park, and besides, millions of people there were wearing shirts like that there. I saw people wearing the same shirt.

Me: What?!! People are not going to be walking around Six Flags with shirts like that there. Its an Amusement park that is full of kids. You shouldnt be wearing clothes with profanity on them in that environment.

Her: They were selling shirts like that at the park

Me: Wait....WHAT??!!!! No they werent!! No amusement park is going to sell shirts like that. There are kids everywhere.

End of scene 1

We immediately discuss Great America and that its a family park geared towards kids.

Me: Its an amusement park where its targeted for kids

Her: No, its an Adult park. I see adults there without kids all the time

Me: It does have adults there, however, its targeted towards kids. Why do you think they have Warner Bros characters all over the place like Bugs Bunny, Tweetie, Sylvester, etc?

Her: No it doesnt.

Me: What?! There are characters walking all around the park. How can you not see them?!!! (at this point, I have now started to lose my mind)

Her: I have been there 30 times and I have NEVER seen any cartoon characters or people walking around in costume, except on Halloween.

Me: (now Im getting worked up and throwing my hands up in the air) How can you possibly miss them?!! They have the people in costume spread out all over the park! They target kids and have the characters everywhere! I think its almost statistically impossible for you to spend a minimum of 2 hrs at the park, 30 times, and NOT see one of them.

Her: Well, I didnt.

Me: Its even on some of their ads. There are images of Bugs and others all over the place. No clue how you could miss this. <I pull out my laptop> I google "GREAT AMERICA PHOTOS" and go to the images.

Her: <Pointing at photos where its of a rollercoaster or a sign> SEE! There are no characters!!

Me: They arent going to have them in EVERY photo. See...look at this...there is one with people posing with Bugs. Here is one with Tweetie Bird, and one with Sponge Bob.

Her: Why are you going psycho about this?!! Why cant you just let it go?!!

Me: Wait....this entire conversation is insane. You wore a shirt that said FUCK YOU on it to an Amusement Park where there are kids there, and not only do you not think thats inappropriate, you tell me there are Millions of other people wearing similar shirts, AND you tell me that the park sells shirts like this. THEN, you tell me that you never saw ANY characters at a park, that is filled with people in costume EVERYWHERE, after 30 visits.

Her: Why are you so focused on this? Why cant you just let this go, instead of arguing with me?!!

Me: Because this is insane!!!

Can you guys please give me your impression on this conversation? Up until scene 1, I was completely baffled, because none of that made sense. I was concerned that she was a bit crazy for not understanding why it would be inappropriate to wear a shirt like that to the park, I doubted there were a MILLION people there (the park holds probably 50K anyway) and completely doubted that the park would sell shirts with profanity on them. I was shaking my head in total disbelief. When we got to the point where she never saw any characters there, I showed her how they did a deal with Warner Bros, and that you can see characters like Bugs and others in almost all of their ads/commercials. She said I was just being a crazy jerk who wouldnt let it go. My reply was that things were just getting so progressively crazy that I was baffled and couldnt believe what she was saying.

We want to know what you guys think about how the convo went, and if I was wrong for questioning her and should have just shut up.

thanks