Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnival Cruise Line - Customer Service nightmare on a floating outhouse

Platinum
    Load Metric

Carnival Cruise Line - Customer Service nightmare on a floating outhouse

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...ow-line-snaps/

So this ship is 150 miles offshore and breaks the fuck down. Dead in the water, can't move, engine fire disabled the entire fucking ship.

So what does Carnival do for it's passengers who paid all that money for a cruise? Tells them to suck it up it is going to be a while. A while was right, it is now on day 5 since it broke down. 5 days with nothing working on the ship, not a damn thing.

Tried to fix the boat, then had to mobilize a ship that was capable of towing them to shore. At 5 FUCKING MPH. That worked great for a couple days, until the tow line snapped. And they are dead in the water again, which is where they sit right now.

The ship has now turned into a giant outhouse with disease and sickness everywhere, they hardly have any food and God knows when they will ever hit land now. People are sleeeping outside, raw sewage is backing up all the plumbing and the only toilet is a plastic bag people have to shit and piss in.

The second this happened and they realized there was no way to get the ship moving, smaller boats should have been mobilized to get those passengers off the damn ship immediately. There were about 3,000 passengers, if you get about 20-50 boats together and have them all running they could have had all the passengers back to shore in less than a day.

But no....they are too fucking cheap for that, and tell them all they have to wait to be fucking towed back, oh and all that disease, filth, bad food, no running water they will just have to deal with while they are crawling along at 5mph back to shore.

What did they offer for their inconvenience? A full refund and $500. How big of them!! $500 fucking dollars for a week of pure hell living in conditions that the slums in a 3rd world country would make look like a vacation?? Oh and when they get back to shore did they arrange flights for them all to get home? Fuck no they said get ready to hop on a bus to wherever you have to go, and a lot of the people came from FAR away.

I would sue these fuckers and take them broke if I was on that ship, there will be a class action lawsuit coming to these idiots that is for sure. The health risks and damage alone is worth probably a $100 million for all those passengers. I hope they take these fuckers out of business.
    Last edited by NaturalBornHustler; 02-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Load Metric
    At least the rapes are down.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Just saw someone tweet that they are trying to quickly clean up the ship so it doesn't look so bad when it comes in, apparently there are cameras and people waiting to inspect the ship when it hits land.

Load Metric
    Cruises suck. They always have problems. Obv this one is extreme. I hope they sue.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Heard some guy on CNN describing the conditions and I almost threw up like 5 times. He talked about "Raw Sewage" running through the rooms and in the hallways

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Chris M ‏@ChrisMinMD

Carnival ship is now in cell phone range and newsies are scrambling to get pics and video. And they're not pretty.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Chris M ‏@ChrisMinMD

Carnival ship is now in cell phone range and newsies are scrambling to get pics and video. And they're not pretty.
    They're going to get it good when the pics/videos come out....they will be getting more than $500 each for sure.

Load Metric
    Did you post that from the boat? You seem mad.

And it's the sea, things happen.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Chris M ‏@ChrisMinMD

They're going to get it good when the pics/videos come out....they will be getting more than $500 each for sure.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Customers in travel-related mishaps have very limited rights to recover damages.

For example, if the pilot of your plane makes a mistake, the plane crashes, and you die, your family can collect very little money on your behalf. This was done in order to protect the airline industry from massive, company-crushing lawsuits when the inevitable crashes occur. When you get on a plane, you are essentially agreeing that you're taking a risk and putting your life in their hands, and your family will have little recourse if something goes wrong.

Same thing goes for cruise ships. This situation was the result of a fire in the engine room. Could it have been prevented? Maybe. Is Carnival a fail cruise line? Definitely. However, Carnival's liability here is pretty much limited to refunding your money, making hotel/return travel arrangements, and that's it. The $500 and future free cruise (LOL) is something they're giving for PR/customer service reasons. They don't even have to give that.

Fire is actually the biggest danger on cruise ships -- at least to people who don't get so drunk that they are at risk of falling overboard. Many people see disasters like what occurred in Italy, or they think of the Titanic, and they assume that the biggest danger of cruising is the ship sinking. It's not. Fire is by far the #1 danger.

I agree that this was handled very poorly, especially given the massive sanitation issues that were occurring there. It's also pretty LOL that they don't have a contingency plan for powering the sewage system when the main electricity fails. NBH is correct in that they should have brought a number of other boats to pick up the passengers, rather than make them sit for days in these squalid conditions. Carnival probably would have, in hindsight, just from the PR nightmare that this is.

I have taken a number of cruises in my life, and always felt very safe. And it still is safe -- even safer than air travel. However, the last year or so has been pretty eye-opening. The Italian cruise fiasco (complete with malfunctioning lifeboats and a crew that reacted WAY too late) showed that a slowly sinking ship is still a big danger to kill people, even 100 years after Titanic. It showed that the "safety drills" they do at the beginning of every cruise are bullshit, and that many important things are overlooked in a real emergency. And this situation showed how unprepared a cruise company can be with a contingency plan resulting from a loss of power.

What a nightmare.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    A cruise is a weird vacation. I was jawing with a bartender on a cruise liner and asked what he did on his days off. He laughed. I was like what was so fucking funny?

He said the staff gets NO days off. Keep in mind they are out to sea 6 months straight. Think about that, 180 days straight dealing with customers who think they own the ship because they are on the ship.

It's a wonder these fucking ships don't sink all the time. I remember vividly a little fucking brat took his slice of pizza and smeared it on the window. The Fillipino staff member who saw it looked like he was going to crack as the mother grabbed the brat and dashed away. He literally was biting his lip as Mom walked by.

Like I said, when you treat employees like shit and make them work 180 straight days, get used to more sinkings because nobody is going to give a shit eventually.

Load Metric
    Carnival just sent out a press release for those trying to sue...

Oh, and while this is a huge black eye for Carnival and their massive line of cruise ships, experts say the cruising industry is virtually bullet proof. People will still go on cruises, nothing will change... It is one of the most affordable vacations out there. According to some reports there are even people that are on this ship that are saying they want to book a trip for when the ship is ready to sail again.

Personally I will never be going on a cruise. Nothing about it has ever appealed to me.

Load Metric
    First Pictures that are emerging from the ship

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Thursday.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    A cruise is a weird vacation. I was jawing with a bartender on a cruise liner and asked what he did on his days off. He laughed. I was like what was so fucking funny?

He said the staff gets NO days off. Keep in mind they are out to sea 6 months straight. Think about that, 180 days straight dealing with customers who think they own the ship because they are on the ship.

It's a wonder these fucking ships don't sink all the time. I remember vividly a little fucking brat took his slice of pizza and smeared it on the window. The Fillipino staff member who saw it looked like he was going to crack as the mother grabbed the brat and dashed away. He literally was biting his lip as Mom walked by.

Like I said, when you treat employees like shit and make them work 180 straight days, get used to more sinkings because nobody is going to give a shit eventually.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    First Pictures that are emerging from the ship

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Thursday.html
    Despite the fact it rained all night, passengers opted to sleep outdoors because the stench of sewage has become so unbearable on board.

Aerial shots of the boat emerged on Thursday morning after ABC's Good Morning America chartered a plane to fly over the vessel.

One passenger Jamie Baker said she and her friends slept in their life vests one night because the ship was listing and they feared it would tip over.

Passengers reported how the four-day luxury cruise has turned into a nightmare as carpets and mattresses became soaked in raw sewage and scare food supplies left them with nothing to eat but sandwiches with condiments as fillings.

Doctor Jorge Rodriguez told CNN the Trumph was a 'floating petri dish' because of the combination of circumstances on board.

He said that raw sewage posed a major health risk while stagnating air could increase respiratory infections.

Rotting food also increases the risk of e. coli bacteria, salmonella and food poisoning.

Family members on shore had said that they had been disappointed by Carnival's response and they did not really have much information as to what was going on.

However once they dock, most passengers can only look forward to an hours-long bus ride on Thursday.

Kirk Hill, whose 30-year-old daughter, Kalin Christine Hill, is on the cruise, said: 'I can't imagine being on that ship this morning and then getting on a bus.

'If I hit land in Mobile, you'd have a hard time getting me on a bus.'

Mr Hill is booking a flight from Amarillo, Texas, to New Orleans to meet his daughter when she gets there.

Thelbert Lanier was waiting at the Mobile port for his wife Cyndie, who texted him early on Thursday.

She wrote: 'Room smells like an outhouse. Cold water only, toilets haven't work in 3 1/2 days. Happy Valentines Day!!! I love u & wish I was there. It's 4:00 am. Can't sleep...it's cold & I'm starting to get sick.'

Renee Shanar, of Houston, is on board the Triumph with her husband. In a text message, she said that Carnival has told the passengers that they are delayed again 'because of winds'.

She wrote: 'We think they don't want media there.'

Shanar said conditions were 'horrible' and there is food but bathrooms aren't flushing.

'People have gotten food poisoning. Old people have fallen and hurt themselves,' she wrote in a text message.
    That is just a tiny bit of the article, there is plenty more.

Gold
    Load Metric

Exclamation

I went on a cruise to Bermuda a couple years ago with my gf.

Never again, obv personal preference and all but, the crews are worked like slaves and the food sucked. Plus it was the most sober I've been in 15 years because all the beer/wine was terrible and zero grass.

I would much rather go explore a 3rd rate city like Cleveland or Albany than go on another cruise.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah...cruises suck alright. I definitely found THAT one out this month without even being on it.

Load Metric
    the Captain brings new meaning when he orders the crew to

"man the poop deck"
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    the ship is pulling into the dock shortly in Mobile. Cant wait to see the press videos.

fox news there now

DOCKED IN PORT. PEOPLE SCREAMING OUT OF EXCITEMENT OF GETTING OFF THE SHIP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Cruises suck. They always have problems. Obv this one is extreme. I hope they sue.
    I thought the two cruises I've been on were boring as shit, and that was with working electricity. Neither were my idea.

The only thing good about cruises are that you can easily visit multiple places on one vacation. The two really cool places I saw on my Bahamian and Mediteranian cruises were Mayan ruins in Belize and Roman ruins in Ephesus, Turkey. Sitting in a 1800 year old amphitheater that held 25,000 people was very impressive.

Load Metric
    Turkey is one of the most amazing places on earth, and back in the day they used to run shit, kinda like you do now.

It has more history and and culture than you could ever imagine.

I've been there several times, but mainly for the party scene. The place is absolutely bouncing in the summer time.

Drugs and good times are readily available.

Also full of them pesky Muslims. But for some strange reason they don't want to blow you up.

You're on to something with Algeria though. Fucking shithole.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Thread Information