Thread: Red Chinese desparate for Americans who can speak Chinese

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Red Chinese desparate for Americans who can speak Chinese

Or so my daughter tells me who presently lives and works there. What she makes she doesn't say but with 7 years of college and the last 2 at Darwin University ( paid for by the commies) it can't be chicken feed. But she says that if you can speak English and Chinese with some Spanish it's easy to get work in L.A. at the docks making $50 an hour plus bennies. Guess I'll be boning up on chicken bones and rice here quick. Know some Espanol already.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I would only want to learn a language from the orient so I could own gooks talking about me late night in Chinatown and haggling for hand jobs.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    Or so my daughter tells me who presently lives and works there. What she makes she doesn't say but with 7 years of college and the last 2 at Darwin University ( paid for by the commies) it can't be chicken feed. But she says that if you can speak English and Chinese with some Spanish it's easy to get work in L.A. at the docks making $50 an hour plus bennies. Guess I'll be boning up on chicken bones and rice here quick. Know some Espanol already.
    There's a lot of high paying jobs you can get in China without knowing the language as well. There's probably more jobs where you don't need to know the language than ones where you do.

I only know very broken Chinese but I know more Chinese than all but one person on our roster of 10+ people over here.

I know enough to order a beer, discuss times and locations, ask if there is a problem, emergency situations, talk about weather, and so on. Mandarin is definitely a solid language to know. The learning curve is tough though, if it wasn't for complete immersion I probably would never have learned as much as I know.
    Last edited by anonamoose; 02-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    There's a lot of high paying jobs you can get in China without knowing the language as well. There's probably more jobs where you don't need to know the language than ones where you do.

I only know very broken Chinese but I know more Chinese than all but one person on our roster of 10+ people over here.

I know enough to order a beer, discuss times and locations, ask if their is a problem, emergency situations, talk about whether, and so on. Mandarin is definitely a solid language to know. The learning curve is tough though, if it wasn't for complete immersion I probably would never have learned as much as I know.
    You've got your hands full with Engy it seems.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

I know enough to order a beer, discuss times and locations, ask if their is a problem, emergency situations, talk about whether, and so on. Mandarin is definitely a solid language to know. The learning curve is tough though, if it wasn't for complete immersion I probably would never have learned as much as I know.
    You've got your hands full with Engy it seems.
    你他妈的

edit: i guess your write. typing on a forum is serious business. this will obviously be on my resume and under major scrutiny by my peers.

Load Metric

I know enough to order a beer, discuss times and locations, ask if there is a problem, emergency situations, talk about weather, and so on. Mandarin is definitely a solid language to know. The learning curve is tough though, if it wasn't for complete immersion I probably would never have learned as much as I know.
    So Mandarin then? Never figured out why nobody speaks Cantonese other than maybe those people are thought of as hillbillies?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

So Mandarin then? Never figured out why nobody speaks Cantonese other than maybe those people are thought of as hillbillies?
    Mandarin is a part of the curriculum in hong kong now too. most people in hong kong can speak both and english.

the only places where cantonese is really dominant are some southern regions that haven't been really modernized yet.

interesting related story: a guy at one of the companies i consult with grew up speaking cantonese. he moved to the city he's in now for college which is exclusively mandarin. he was able to learn in college through reading books and gradually learned broken mandarin. people say his broken english is better than his mandarin. he's easily the best engineer that company has too.

however, it is important to note that there are still a lot of "dialects" to chinese that are based off of mandarin. you can learn a shanghai dialect where something like shi (formally pronounced shr) will sound more like shur.

in the north where i am they like to at 儿 to the end of everything like to say 10 o clock you say shi dian (shr dee-en) 十点 but up north you might here people say shi diern (shr dee-arn) 十点儿 it's confusing and takes a little while to get used to. with immersion though it's helped a lot.

a lot of people when they formally learn mandarin will actually be taught the shanghai dialect. however, a lot of people outside of shanghai struggle to understand what they are saying. we once upon a time had a chinese guy who immigrated to the us and became a us citizen (we can only hire us citizens officially) work for us. he was from shanghai and tried to do his own translations, but no one would ever understand what he was saying.
    Last edited by anonamoose; 02-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Load Metric

You've got it backward. Mainlanders (Mandarin speakers) are the hillbillies. Hong Kong people (Cantonese speakers) look down on mainlanders, for good reason. They are some of the worst people on earth.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

You've got it backward. Mainlanders (Mandarin speakers) are the hillbillies. Hong Kong people (Cantonese speakers) look down on mainlanders, for good reason. They are some of the worst people on earth.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Welcome home sir. Long time.

Load Metric

So is Hong Kong and the surrounding islands all mainly Cantonese speakers? By hillbilly I was referencing that it seemed that the people in the inner cities spoke Mandarin and the outlying areas were Cantonese. I could be completely off here, but i'm trying to learn.

Load Metric

So is Hong Kong and the surrounding islands all mainly Cantonese speakers? By hillbilly I was referencing that it seemed that the people in the inner cities spoke Mandarin and the outlying areas were Cantonese. I could be completely off here, but i'm trying to learn.
    to mainlanders (which is all that's important cause LOL 1.2 BILLION PEOPLE) cantonese is hillbilly-esque. to people who speak cantonese it's the other way around.

it's kind of like how everyone up north thinks people down south sound like hillbillies and everyone down south thinks everyone up north sounds arrogant.

i do think with how many dialects of mandarin there are though that cantonese speakers should be the least of their concerns.

Thread Information