Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are college degrees overrated?

Load Metric
    forbes is worthless as ironic as that sounds

i'd say the actual number is around 10%

Load Metric
    this may be slightly off topic but hopefully it sheds light on what's 'supposed' to happen at each college level.
    Let's use the automobile as an example.

the community college will teach how the carburetor works, change and check the fluids, correct tire pressure, changing fuses... etc... basic stuff. The average Joe

At the state college level the bar is higher as the student will learn about centripetal and centrifugal forces on the chassis, aerodynamics, what types of alloy are available for the car.

At the university level the students are supposed to be the brightest and forward thinkers because they are no longer looking at the car... they are theorizing other modes of transportation.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    forbes is worthless as ironic as that sounds

i'd say the actual number is around 10%
    I would say you are wrong.

This is the study they were referring to

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/20...-overqualified

Some 48 percent of the degree holders, to be precise, are in positions that the US Labor Department classifies as requiring less than a four-year college education.

This finding, released by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a research group in Washington, underscores growing public concerns about the availability of good jobs and the value of college education.

RECOMMENDED: Unemployment rate: How many Americans are really unemployed?

“In the three occupations ‘retail sales person,’ ‘cashier,’ and ‘waiters and waitresses’ there are more than 1.7 million college graduates employed,” says the study by researchers Richard Vedder, Christopher Denhart, and Jonathan Robe.

Today, 15 percent of US taxi drivers have a college degree, up from less than 1 percent in 1970.

The study arrives at a time when news articles asking, “Is college worth it?,” have become commonplace.

Although the new report suggests the answer often is “no,” this is a complicated issue, with other scholars defending the idea that expanding higher education will benefit individuals and the economy.

For instance, for people focused on their own financial well-being, it’s worth noting that a college degree tends to result in both higher pay and lower unemployment. The jobless rate is currently 3.9 percent for workers with a college degree or higher, versus 8 percent for high school grads and 11.7 percent for people without a high school diploma.

Plenty of economists defend the goal of bringing higher education to a larger share of the workforce, arguing that it’s the best way for the United States to maintain prosperity in an era of stronger global competition for good-paying jobs.

Both sides in this debate may be contributing important grains of truth.

Lots of people are overqualified for the jobs they hold, and this is a challenge that emerged before the deep recession in 2007-09, which created a particularly challenging job market for new college grads.

I love the fact that some think that Fox just pulled these numbers out of the air with nothing to back them up. Get a fucking clue.

Oh they had a typo on a poll once so that means they LIE. LIES LIES LIES!!

Banned
    Load Metric
    Thanks for the confirmation NBH.

And LOL, ffs, I never said they 100% made it up. Just that it should be double-checked, as sometimes mistakes are made, and Fox is particularly prone to them.

What's so wrong with checking sources? Would you prefer to be spoonfed all your information? Don't they teach critical thinking skills in school anymore?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    I would say you are wrong.

This is the study they were referring to

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/20...-overqualified

Some 48 percent of the degree holders, to be precise, are in positions that the US Labor Department classifies as requiring less than a four-year college education.

This finding, released by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a research group in Washington, underscores growing public concerns about the availability of good jobs and the value of college education.

RECOMMENDED: Unemployment rate: How many Americans are really unemployed?

“In the three occupations ‘retail sales person,’ ‘cashier,’ and ‘waiters and waitresses’ there are more than 1.7 million college graduates employed,” says the study by researchers Richard Vedder, Christopher Denhart, and Jonathan Robe.

Today, 15 percent of US taxi drivers have a college degree, up from less than 1 percent in 1970.

The study arrives at a time when news articles asking, “Is college worth it?,” have become commonplace.

Although the new report suggests the answer often is “no,” this is a complicated issue, with other scholars defending the idea that expanding higher education will benefit individuals and the economy.

For instance, for people focused on their own financial well-being, it’s worth noting that a college degree tends to result in both higher pay and lower unemployment. The jobless rate is currently 3.9 percent for workers with a college degree or higher, versus 8 percent for high school grads and 11.7 percent for people without a high school diploma.

Plenty of economists defend the goal of bringing higher education to a larger share of the workforce, arguing that it’s the best way for the United States to maintain prosperity in an era of stronger global competition for good-paying jobs.

Both sides in this debate may be contributing important grains of truth.

Lots of people are overqualified for the jobs they hold, and this is a challenge that emerged before the deep recession in 2007-09, which created a particularly challenging job market for new college grads.

I love the fact that some think that Fox just pulled these numbers out of the air with nothing to back them up. Get a fucking clue.

Oh they had a typo on a poll once so that means they LIE. LIES LIES LIES!!
    misread the op. yeah 48% sounds right, but some of these people went and got a degree that's essentially worthless anyway.

then there's the others that are happy in their job. problem with certain degrees is you take this job or you look for an hourly wage job that has nothing to do with it. such as accounting.

it's too restrictive and you're not really going to know if you like what you're doing until after you graduate.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by offthetop View Post
    I work for a big US company and you need a college degree to apply for jobs above the admin level, so in that regard, for sure they are relevant
    This just tilts me. Most of these big US companies were built with guys without college degrees.

We can start with Bill Gates. I went to KFC last night for take out and I doubt the Colonel had a degree either. I was in Florida last year and every fucking street seemed to have a Publix. I doubt that dude had a degree either and if he did it contributed nothing to his company.

I have a cousin who is waiting tables 3 years after getting a degree and is swimming in debt. Graduated with a Marketing degree and it swimming in debt with college loans. Funny, you can default on a house loan, but you default on a college loan you can end up in jail.

Funny story my grandfather told me years ago. He went into a shop where he went to often and met the owner one day. He asked this successful man where he went to college? He laughed and replied by pointing to people in his shop 'You see him, he went to college. That one over there went to Harvard. All these people around me went to college, so why do i need college?'

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Also, I am not ridiculing a college education. For things like sciences, engineering, etc... it makes sense.

But a majority of degrees such as English, History, Marketing, etc....they are fucking total bullshit. I get the fact there are stories where one person had a degree and was therefore promoted over some guy who was more qualified that just had a HS diploma.

But there are literally hundreds of thousands of students that will graduate college this year with a generic degree with $100,000 in loan debt with no job. And in a couple years they will basically be emotionally devastated by the crushing debt that the degree was supposed to be helping them.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Also, I am not ridiculing a college education. For things like sciences, engineering, etc... it makes sense.

But a majority of degrees such as English, History, Marketing, etc....they are fucking total bullshit. I get the fact there are stories where one person had a degree and was therefore promoted over some guy who was more qualified that just had a HS diploma.

But there are literally hundreds of thousands of students that will graduate college this year with a generic degree with $100,000 in loan debt with no job. And in a couple years they will basically be emotionally devastated by the crushing debt that the degree was supposed to be helping them.

Here inlies the problem, Degrees with no value. Why in the world would anyone go to a top 100 college spend 100K+ for a degree with no practical real world application? It has turned into a joke,

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyDeadWood View Post

Here inlies the problem, Degrees with no value. Why in the world would anyone go to a top 100 college spend 100K+ for a degree with no practical real world application? It has turned into a joke,
    Lol, would be good i guess if you could trade on a degree like an insurance policy or transfer its value as an asset to your kids when you die.

Load Metric
    I work in education and I can attest to the fact that 1) a basic degree is needed even for peon jobs, and 2) the universities are churning out millions of useless degrees - it's a business and the bottom line is profit, not making the world a smarter place.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    I work for a big US company and you need a college degree to apply for jobs above the admin level, so in that regard, for sure they are relevant
    Its the same in the sales industry they would rather hire a kid out of college with a liberal arts degree then someone with 15 years sales experience. A degree can help you get in the door at alot of jobs even when almost 100% of what you learned doesnt translate to that job. You should only go for something that specializes in something. If you go to be a nurse you will never not have a job. If you go for Psychology it still helps but most likely you wont be working in that field.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    Its the same in the sales industry they would rather hire a kid out of college with a liberal arts degree then someone with 15 years sales experience. A degree can help you get in the door at alot of jobs even when almost 100% of what you learned doesnt translate to that job. You should only go for something that specializes in something. If you go to be a nurse you will never not have a job. If you go for Psychology it still helps but most likely you wont be working in that field.
    I see it more as a 'all in the same boat' and 'if i had to do it, you have to do it too' mentality. If your boss has a degree you better bet your ass you will NEED one based on the fact that he had to make that commitment and take on that debt as a path to his current success, and success creates morons in that people with money/ position always think the way they got there is the only way for you to get there. The obverse is true if your boss either doesn't have a degree or got one later in life in that they think anyone with a degree is a useful tool in the shed and a good worker, but probably nothing more than that. And yes, i'm speaking of liberal arts degrees, not engineers, Dr's, Phd's and the like.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Yay, caste system in effect.
    A caste system is something you are born into. You choose whether to go to school or are too dumb. Most places assume the latter in lack of other evidence. Thats life.

I agree with The_PHA. He is stating his opinion in a trolling manner, but the fact is people who are looking to get back out what they put into a degree financially, a lot are going to not be happy.

Gold
    Load Metric

This just tilts me. Most of these big US companies were built with guys without college degrees.

We can start with Bill Gates. I went to KFC last night for take out and I doubt the Colonel had a degree either. I was in Florida last year and every fucking street seemed to have a Publix. I doubt that dude had a degree either and if he did it contributed nothing to his company.

I have a cousin who is waiting tables 3 years after getting a degree and is swimming in debt. Graduated with a Marketing degree and it swimming in debt with college loans. Funny, you can default on a house loan, but you default on a college loan you can end up in jail.

Funny story my grandfather told me years ago. He went into a shop where he went to often and met the owner one day. He asked this successful man where he went to college? He laughed and replied by pointing to people in his shop 'You see him, he went to college. That one over there went to Harvard. All these people around me went to college, so why do i need college?'
    If that story is so "funny" then why does it come off so bitter ?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post

Yay, caste system in effect.
    A caste system is something you are born into. You choose whether to go to school or are too dumb. Most places assume the latter in lack of other evidence. Thats life.

I agree with The_PHA. He is stating his opinion in a trolling manner, but the fact is people who are looking to get back out what they put into a degree financially, a lot are going to not be happy.
    The American version would be that if you don't have a degree, you are excluded from certain opportunities that really have no bearing on your actual ability or life experience. Again, not talking about people with letters after their names, but giving the keys to the corvette to a 22 yr old with a liberal arts degree and no life experience is beyond asinine.

Load Metric

Because you are internalizing and feeling that it somehow applies to you.

Gold
    Load Metric

No, don't think thats it. I think the idea that some guy who got into harvard worked at your grandfather's mechanic is what made the bitter shine. Dream on though my friend.

The large companies do it as a cover your ass type thing. If you want to make it anywhere without a degree either work at a smaller company or do it yourself. It is all pretty much cover your ass syndrome, not so much 'do what i had to do'. Thats nice and simple, but fail. You bitter types always love to put forth this idea that entrepreneurial ideals and education do not strongly overlap. Then you show as an example guys who dropped out of good schools because it wasn't worth it for them anymore. so lol.

Platinum
    Load Metric

No, don't think thats it. I think the idea that some guy who got into harvard worked at your grandfather's mechanic is what made the bitter shine. Dream on though my friend.
    I have no idea how you managed to get "mechanic" from the story 4dragons told. The way I read it was the owner was wise enough to know he'd never have all the answers and he hired smart reliable people who could give him advice. Much in the same way you'd want lawyers, accountants and various other professionals instead of trying to become an expert in all of that yourself.

I can see why you are such a fan of bitcoins though.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post

I have no idea how you managed to get "mechanic" from the story 4dragons told. The way I read it was the owner was wise enough to know he'd never have all the answers and he hired smart reliable people who could give him advice. Much in the same way you'd want lawyers, accountants and various other professionals instead of trying to become an expert in all of that yourself.

I can see why you are such a fan of bitcoins though.
    Ok shop owner, not mechanic owner. Not that it matters. Your take on it is interesting, but I think 4Dragons was trying to put forth a different idea. Having a degree is no more of a 'caste system' then wanting experience. It is still experience in some manner. You learn to write for one. It sucks because some people don't grow up with the proper support structure and somehow miss out on their chance at school, but there are valid reasons why degrees are required.

Yea, i need to look at bitcoins price today. Last i saw at $20, i bought them at $5.. but that has nothing to do with why I defend them. I only defend them against ignorance and never suggest them as a means to invest.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Watching Fox News right now. Apparently, 48% of the jobs college degreed people have do not require a college degree.

Steve Forbes made a brilliant quote in that college degreed people leave school with a worthless degree and are basically indentured servants to their college loans for 20+ years.
    Steve Forbes inherited his money and has never worked a day in his life for anyone but Daddy. Just like Trump Forbes was "He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple."

Thread Information