Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are college degrees overrated?

Bronze
    Load Metric

Are college degrees overrated?

Watching Fox News right now. Apparently, 48% of the jobs college degreed people have do not require a college degree.

Steve Forbes made a brilliant quote in that college degreed people leave school with a worthless degree and are basically indentured servants to their college loans for 20+ years.

I am starting to wonder if college is an outright scam for the elitist professors who ride the fucking dole. Outside of the medical or scientific community, why the fuck is college even relevant? Marketing degree? LOL.

I took US History as a credit, and I cannot remember one fucking thing about the course. However, 5 years ago I took a tour of Gettysburg and know more about the Civil War than probably 99% of any college history degreed shitbag.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I don't have an informed opinion on this, but my guess would be that more people are under pressure to go to college and are getting worthless degrees in things like the arts. I very much doubt that people with engineering degrees have it this bad.

Obviously the economy is a factor as well.

Load Metric
    I work for a big US company and you need a college degree to apply for jobs above the admin level, so in that regard, for sure they are relevant
    Martin Curacao 95.5 KWNR Radio Host "We see 192 000 miles for your car. How did you put on that many miles since 2005?"

2005 Chevy Impala owner "Drove it"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by offthetop View Post
    I work for a big US company and you need a college degree to apply for jobs above the admin level, so in that regard, for sure they are relevant
    Yay, caste system in effect.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Also, Fox News is notorious for fudging statistics. I would double check that figure. Did they cite a source?

Load Metric
    I earned a pretty substantial scholarship and was lucky enough to not to need student loans. I graduated with 2k in debt which I paid off that year. In my profession I constantly need to learn new stuff and be up to date. Learning never stops.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This just tilts me. Most of these big US companies were built with guys without college degrees.

We can start with Bill Gates. I went to KFC last night for take out and I doubt the Colonel had a degree either. I was in Florida last year and every fucking street seemed to have a Publix. I doubt that dude had a degree either and if he did it contributed nothing to his company.

I have a cousin who is waiting tables 3 years after getting a degree and is swimming in debt. Graduated with a Marketing degree and it swimming in debt with college loans. Funny, you can default on a house loan, but you default on a college loan you can end up in jail.

Load Metric
    Let's hope so.

I was in Florida last year and every fucking street seemed to have a Publix.
    Publix is God here
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Like everything in life, it depends. It depends what field you are going into. If you are going to apply at some fortune 500 company a college degree is a must, but if you plan on opening a pizza parlor then you're probably better off working at some succesful pizza shop for 2 years and learning on the job than getting a degree in business and $50k-$100k in debt.

Srsly is right, some degrees are simply worthless (my wife has a theater arts degree and was competing for jobs with people who were directors in local PAC plays) but some are required. If you're going to go to college make sure it's something that you NEED to go to college for.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Also, Fox News is notorious for fudging statistics. I would double check that figure. Did they cite a source?
    There is no incentive for Fox to fudge a stat like that.

A good friend of mine graduated from law school and owns a restaurant with his dad. Go figure.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post

A good friend of mine graduated from law school and owns a restaurant with his dad. Go figure.
    Their fuckups aren't always intentional. Sometimes they're just incompetent. Like when their polls add up to 120%.

Load Metric
    Highschool is a way to meet people, and try to get a general idea of what your interests are.

College is helpful in many ways. The main way is that it teaches you to be an adult with your time management. Your mom and dad aren't there to wake you up and send you on a school bus. It's not always about the degree. Although some degrees are essential for certain jobs.

But the main reason for going to college is about becoming an adult, and teaching yourself how to use efficient time management. Plain and simple.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Bronze
    Load Metric

Their fuckups aren't always intentional. Sometimes they're just incompetent. Like when their polls add up to 120%.

Yeah, whatever. Their ratings crush CNN, MSNBC and CNBC combined. You can add up that math if you want.

Just because someone posted a screen shot of 1 out 10,000,000 screen shots that was wrong does not mean the other 9,999,999 were wrong. It just means some obsessed faggot popped a boner when FOX made a mistake and posted it on youtube.

Nobody obsesses about CNN because nobody watches it. People obsess about Fox News because a lot of people watch it.

Back on track.

Load Metric

Yeah, whatever. Their ratings crush CNN, MSNBC and CNBC combined. You can add up that math if you want.

Just because someone posted a screen shot of 1 out 10,000,000 screen shots that was wrong does not mean the other 9,999,999 were wrong. It just means some obsessed faggot popped a boner when FOX made a mistake and posted it on youtube.

Nobody obsesses about CNN because nobody watches it. People obsess about Fox News because a lot of people watch it.

Back on track.
    I only trust the BBC for news.

Banned
    Load Metric

Back on track.
    Look, I'm not making a political statement here, or saying that the network sucks. I watch Fox News a lot myself. All I'm saying is that I take all their stats with a grain of salt, for good reason. So should you.

I looked around on Google a little bit and couldn't find anything on this degree figure. If we confirm that it's true, I'll STFU.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    I totally forgot about this track. Thank you TBags for brightening up my day a bit.

Bronze
    Load Metric

Back on track.
    Look, I'm not making a political statement here, or saying that the network sucks. I watch Fox News a lot myself. All I'm saying is that I take all their stats with a grain of salt, for good reason. So should you.

I looked around on Google a little bit and couldn't find anything on this degree figure. If we confirm that it's true, I'll STFU.
    Steve Forbes said it like 45 minutes ago. The guy is a billionaire and would have 0.0 incentive to make something like that up.

If you want to research the 48% go ahead. Since we all probably know people working in a profession that does not require a college degree that have a degree, I am not sure what the fuck you are talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Yay, caste system in effect.
    My degree has nothing to do with what I'm doing in my company. I started at the bottom, some manager liked my shit, and because of my degree I have been able to be promoted. Whereas I have a colleague I started with who is just as good as me but he didn't graduate so has basically reached the ceiling in terms of job level and pay. But as someone else said earlier in the thread, a college degree is about proving time management, responsibility etc. Other stuff can be learned on the job (except of course technical jobs).
    Martin Curacao 95.5 KWNR Radio Host "We see 192 000 miles for your car. How did you put on that many miles since 2005?"

2005 Chevy Impala owner "Drove it"

Load Metric

Back on track.
    I dont trust ANY of them.

"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Thread Information