Thread: Travelocity customer support is a joke

Load Metric

Travelocity customer support is a joke

So I have a flight booked to go to Seoul. I hit the wrong dates and just realized this now a few days away from the trip. I reread the policy from travelocity and there was nothing that said I couldn't change the flight. When I called to change the flight I was told that I bought a non-changeable flight because it is China Southern's policy not to change flights. I called bull and argued I was never supplied with this information in any of the terms. The fare rules I was supplied only stated that it was a non-refundable flight and to change flights call them and the fees would be x amount. 3 quality Indian managers and 2 hours later and it ended in a well I'm not longer your customer and you're going to have a nice letter at the BBB waiting for you.

I then had my translator call China Southern and they literally laughed when we told them we were told they have a no change policy. They said 10% to change, which is a huge bargain because the flight is now 2.2x what I paid for it. Travelocity was advertising in their fare rules, which obviously are meaningless, that it would have been $240. Meanwhile it came to a whole 35 bucks when we called China Southern.

TL;DR

Don't use travelocity.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's not 1998 anymore.

Travelocity, Orbitz, and the rest of them are useless.

For the most part, they just compile data together from various airlines and hotels and supposedly make your search easier. Often they are actually more expensive than just buying it directly from the airline or hotel, and you are also stuck with their obnoxious terms of service.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    It's not 1998 anymore.

For the most part, they just compile data together from various airlines and hotels and supposedly make your search easier. Often they are actually more expensive than just buying it directly from the airline or hotel, and you are also stuck with their obnoxious terms of service.
    So you just go to the individual airlines? I still use those sites, never really considering I was getting a bad deal. So do you have any suggestions when looking for the cheapest fair ? Should I use those sites, then from there go directly to the airlines site ?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    going to test out your mail order bride before you buy? smart move. lookout for the ones w/ dicks

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    It's not 1998 anymore.

So you just go to the individual airlines? I still use those sites, never really considering I was getting a bad deal. So do you have any suggestions when looking for the cheapest fair ? Should I use those sites, then from there go directly to the airlines site ?
    Often it's the same deal but they pile on additional terms and restrictions.

Yes, I usually purchase directly from the airline sites.

Those sites aren't bad to search for the best fare.

Also try http://www.sidestep.com

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    going to test out your mail order bride before you buy? smart move. lookout for the ones w/ dicks
    trolling level 0

exp gained 0

try again

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post

Often it's the same deal but they pile on additional terms and restrictions.

Yes, I usually purchase directly from the airline sites.

Those sites aren't bad to search for the best fare.

Also try http://www.sidestep.com
    I do this with airlines like air canada and such, but everything is often a scam here. We've pulled up websites that when you search in Chinese everything comes up cheaper than when you do it in English.

When I did a search initially Travelocity was coming up the cheapest.

I found out from China Southern the reason why Travelocity wouldn't let me change was because they got some weird deal and that's why it was so cheap. The 10% was actually to cover what the cost should have been had I not booked it on Travelocity. It's really weird that they wouldn't take my $240 it would have been when it only would have cost them $35.

Our company has an Amex business travel thing set up, I was suppose to book in there for health insurance purposes, but this trip originally was going to be paid for by me. I later found out I could book this trip through my company for free. They were going to let me expense anyway and then I found this issue. The problem with the Amex site is there's a huge mark up. I've seen flights for 8k that I found on air canada for 4k. Both were non-refundable, so that's insane mark up on some of these flights.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I have no experience with China, so I can't comment on that.

Interesting how the English versions charge people more than the Chinese versions on the exact same website.

Thread Information