Thread: A death in my family. Some questions

Platinum
    Load Metric

A death in my family. Some questions

I'm really not much for airing personal sides like this, and not really in a good state of mind right now, but frankly im desperately trying to search for answers and am not really getting anywhere. I have tried to do some google searching to no avail. The cruise line basically says it is what it is.

My mother and father went down to texas for the winter and took a cruise that evidently went through some of latin america. Yesterday they supposedly docked in Honduras for a period where they decided to do some snorkeling in Honduras waters. It was there that my mother passed away. I am not sure of all of the details surrounding this yet, but somewhere around the time that she was getting into the water, she probably had a massive heart attack. Anyway, the details about this really aren't that important at this point. The even bigger nightmare kicks in though where I am basically at the country's mercy as far as when we will be able to get her body transported back to the states - this is the problem im dealing with and why im posting this. The DA in Honduras ordered an autopsy (i and others are assuming they did this to probably cover their ass) and we have absolutely no idea when they will perform this and clear the red tape. The cruise line imagines it could take a week. We don't know at this point if it is a couple of days....or 2 weeks; after all, we are dealing with a 3rd world country.

I really don't feel the most comfortable even airing this, and this is not the best place to do it, but I am desperate and time is of the essence. We would obviously like her back here to have a proper funeral, and as you might imagine, waiting for an extended period of time is really not an option. Some had brought up cremation to ease the costs and constraints dealing with sending her back, but we are still left with ultimately when the go ahead is given on her release.

Of course this is really an off the wall situation to even be bringing up here, but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of compelling Honduras to expedite the process?

Load Metric
    sorry for your loss.

I have no clue about any legal options, but I bet going there with a fair amount of cash and bribing the right people would work.

Load Metric
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    sorry for your loss.

I have no clue about any legal options, but I bet going there with a fair amount of cash and bribing the right people would work.
    ^^^ This is pretty much your answer when dealing with a latin american country. I'd guess that even if you found the right attorney to hire, it would involve bribes. And don't tell them you have a lot of money to spend unless you want to spend every cent of it. How to get hooked up with someone in Honduras that would be of assistance is going to be difficult on such short notice. Good luck and my condolences.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    sorry for your loss...

would the us embassy be able to help you out with this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    sorry for your loss...

would the us embassy be able to help you out with this?

... or visit/call the Honduran embassy in the US?

Very sorry for your loss, I'm sure this is an extremely difficult time for you.

Load Metric
    So very sorry... It's hard enough dealing with grief, and then to have this to deal with too... It's unthinkable. Definitely call the US Embassy and don't let them put you off - gently but firmly demand to speak with someone in charge who gets shit done.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Sorry to hear about this.

Here is good link. If you are feeling out of it have a close friend contact them for you:

Deaths of American Citizens in Honduras
    http://honduras.usembassy.gov/deaths.html

"For more information, please contact us at (504) 2238-5114, extension 4400 Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For after hours emergencies, the Embassy duty officer can be reached by calling (504) 2238-5114, extention 4100. Written inquiries may be sent to this e-mail: usahonduras@state.gov"

Load Metric
    I'm also very sorry for your loss.

Embassy info already provided is absolutely the way to go.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I made some phone calls today and everything turned out a little better than I thought it would considering the horrible circumstances we are already dealing with. They had already completed the autopsy and determined that she basically died of natural causes (heart attack). At this point it is a matter of a decision from my dad as to whether he wants her remains brought back or to have her cremated and brought back. Apparently they have to either complete the embalming or cremation there because from what I've gathered, you cannot send a deceased person by plane otherwise.

I guess through all of the bad financial mistakes they have made throughout their lives, they made one good one when they decided to purchase the trip insurance for the cruise - Otherwise the costs would have probably been high. It pays for any needed flights, and any other costs (embalming etc) up to when the funeral home in our area obtains her remains (they were even going to pay to fly us down there, but we decided that wasn't going to be necessary because my dad was pretty much getting off the boat and hopping on the plane). Not that money is really important at a time like this, it is just one less headache that a person needs right now.

Of course nobody here knows my mom, but ill tell you, with all of her aches and pains ridden throughout her body and the heart problems she already had, she wasn't going to let that get in the way of making every attempt to live life as full as she possibly could - even if it was a snorkeling adventure.

Thank you very much everyone for the thoughts and condolences, also thank you for the ideas and info.

Load Metric
    So sorry for your loss Gordman. I know it's next to impossible to find comfort in times like this, but at least she died while, like you said, out there living life instead of being laid up somewhere. Wishing you and your family all the strength you'll need to get through this. Godspeed my friend.

Load Metric
    Sorry to hear this Gord. I hope you and your family have a full recovery
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    So sorry for your loss Gordman. I know it's next to impossible to find comfort in times like this, but at least she died while, like you said, out there living life instead of being laid up somewhere. Wishing you and your family all the strength you'll need to get through this. Godspeed my friend.
    Better than suffering in some shit hole nursing home for sure.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    So sorry for your loss Gordman, I hope you are able to get this awful situation handled to your satisfaction with minimal strain on the family.

Load Metric
    Hey man. I am so sorry to hear all this. If you need some free legal advice PM me and I can help you out. I not an attorney but I know quite a few very good ones who I work with.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Sorry to hear this Gord. I hope you and your family have a full recovery
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Thread Information