Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Druff, I would like to debate you on BITCOINS

Load Metric

Druff, I would like to debate you on BITCOINS

First, please understand where I am coming from: I am a longtime DD listener, and started following PFA as soon as you created it. I have probably listened to every one of your +EV shows on DD. Some of the episodes where you would talk about online poker and give advice, I would listen when you spoke about issues where I was an expert to hear if we had the same opinions. I agreed with you so often it was bizarre. There were a surprising number of nuances to points you made which told me you really knew what you were talking about. When you and Micon split, I was on Team Druff. You had much more presence on the show than Micon. I felt I knew you but didn't know Micon. I was pissed at Micon. However, the 1 issue where I have completely disagreed with you is bitcoins.

Bitcoin advantages: (i have copied and edited these)

http://bitcoinmedia.com/bulleted-advantages/
    Decentralised and free from control
    - No regulations: while the advantages of decentralization might not seem at first apparent, consider that a decentralized structure constitutes an incorruptible medium. This is the first time we have such technology.
    government cant seize your bitcoins
    Always running
    - No bank holidays, no weekend breaks. Bitcoin is running. As long as the internet is up somewhere in the world, bitcoin is running.
    International
    - Bitcoin has no borders. It does not discriminate against or classify or limit its users based on location or citizenship.
    No/low fees
    -I can at this very moment send thousands of dollars anywhere in the world at no cost. on a recent DD episode Micon said Seals has done >26000 deposits/withdraws at a total cost of about $30
    New privacy model
    -Bitcoin provides anonymity with merchant sites. Only when trading platforms (exchanges) are presented with a warrant or the user willingly provides his or her identification can one’s personal information be accessed.
    Transparent system
    -Bitcoin is 100% transparent. While users need not disclose which bitcoin wallet is theirs, every transaction ever made in the system is public record allowing for an open world.
    its also open source
    Divisible
    -A bitcoin is divisible to 8 decimal places and in the future perhaps more. Microtransactions are truly a possibility. In this way bitcoin is not only advancing modern methods but creating potentially new markets which may have drastic impact on society. (media, internet culture, crowd sourcing, donating)
    Secure
    -Playstation being hacked resulted in 77 million compromised accounts, that is more than 1% of the entire planet. Had your credit card details been stolen, a malicious hacker could withdraw money from your account. If you paid in bitcoins, this would be an impossibility. Sure there are services with fraud protection, but these are subsidized by the commercial gains from the client.
    -Bitcoin uses the latest encryption technology. While underdeveloped merchant sites may not be safe, you would not blame visa or mastercard if you put your card number of an unsafe site. The actual bitcoin protocol is very safe. Before it is compromised, our societal infrastructure would collapse due to it being built on weaker systems.
    Fast transfers
    -Irregardless of geographical distance, you have a payment go through in under an hour. No longer are we at the mercy of week long payments or waiting weeks because of banking inefficiencies. Anybody who has travelled can attest to the nightmare of the finance system across borders.
    i've done a few cashouts on Seals. never took more than an hour or 2 to get my coins
    No chargebacks
    -Selling digital goods is currently not possible due to friendly fraud. Bitcoin does not have chargebacks and friendly fraud is impossible.
    Environmentally friendly / efficient
    -Market driven infrastructure ensures cost savings as participants are forced to compete through the algorithmic adjustment. People find more efficient ways to process transactions due to financial incentive from the system. This drives power usage right down.
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60049.0

#2 – Borderless

When I say “borderless” when speaking of Bitcoin, I mean so in the most powerful way: Bitcoins can be secretly transported anywhere in the world instantly for free. Contrast this with gold or fiat money, which is almost impossible to get out of the country incognito.

Ever tried walking through customs with massive piles of cash or gold bars? Somehow I doubt it’s going to work. With Bitcoin, however, you can walk through the metal detector and get a full pat down etc., and walk right to your gate without hassle, despite having millions of dollars of Bitcoins on your truecrypt-protected flash drive – it’s that easy.

While in the past difficult and expensive international diversification was absolutely essential for anyone serious about keeping their wealth and themselves safe from a potentially oppressive government at home, Bitcoin is the ultimate offshore bank, literally bringing ultra-cheap international diversification to the masses right in their own living rooms!

#3 – No Inflation

Inflation is the great wealth tax, the invisible arm of government that can reach into your pocket and steal any day or night, without your direct knowledge, simply by devaluing the currency. You may feel you’re protected by investing in “hard assets” such as gold, but in reality, those assets are going to be taxed relative to the base monetary unit, which is usually being debased. In other words, although the gold price may keep up with inflation, you are forced to pay a phantom capital gains on it — so it doesn’t really keep up, and that’s not even taking into account storage fees.

Bitcoin, both due to its anonymous nature and hard cap in coin issuance, is much more practical for protecting large amounts of wealth from the ravages of inflation than any other medium. One could argue gold can do this if you store it yourself and sell it secretly for cash when you wish to spend it, it’s very hard to do this for many obvious reasons (acid tests, divisibility difficulty, transportation, etc.), and neigh impossible for very large sums.

Finally, Bitcoin may even prove to have some resistance from the adoption of fractional reserve banking, since one of the main purposes of banking (making it easy to store and transport wealth) has been taken over by the Bitcoin protocol, so it probably means less capital available for FRB and thus less overall credit expansion in the Bitcoin market (this would also mean a more stable Bitcoin-based economy… but we’re getting off track here.. )

might be more accurate to say the supply was predetermined: Name:  zGsJi9D.png
Views: 695
Size:  171.3 KB

#4 – No taxes or regulatory overhead

Think of all the sky-high costs associated with doing business in a fiat money system: income taxes, payroll taxes, regulatory costs, compliance personnel, legal fees, accountant fees, estate taxes, gift taxes, sales taxes.. the list literally goes on and on and on. Have you ever thought of what happens to a dollar as it circulates through the economy? Every time a transaction happens, the government gets a big piece of that dollar — so it doesn’t take very many transactions for that dollar to make it way completely back to the government.

Taxes and regulatory bodies are like a giant vacuum cleaner, sucking wealth from productive people and giving it out to parasites. Productive people are impoverished while big bankers,* lobbyists, bureaucrats, and lazy government employees live high off the hog. It means less money to build out productive capital infrastructure, less people doing real productive work, less money available for legitimate charity, and lower standards of living for everyone. Since Bitcoin is anonymous, taxes suddenly become voluntary — and thus, a better world.

#5 – Freedom to spend your own damn money!

What do Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, and pretty much all the big banks have in common? They all block you from giving donations to WikiLeaks! Now, whether you approve of WikiLeaks or not is a personal decision ( you can probably guess that I love them ), but that’s the point — it’s YOUR choice. By restricting what you can spend your money on, the current financial system is overriding your decisions and controlling you. Use Bitcoin, and spend your money freely.

Points you have made against bitcoin:
    - who's the guy who started it? you dont even know his identity?
    Satoshi Nakamoto is his pseudonym. It is probably a good thing that his real identity is not known. So now there is nobody the government can go after to put the bitcoin creator in prison. Druff, are you suggesting bitcoin code is sub par since we dont know the creators name? Because the bitcoin code has been reviewed by top security professionals who commented at blackhat/defcon that it was very well done.

- "if i ran a poker site so many people would turn me in quickly"
    This is the dumbest excuse I have ever heard. How come no one has turned Micon in then? How much money would I have to pay you to turn in Micon? The truth is there is nothing you could do to get Micon in trouble for his involvement with Seals.

- government could shut down bitcoin so fast
    This is completely false. Bitcoin is decentralized. The government would have to shut down the internet. A perfect example of how you are wrong is piracy/file sharing. The government was able to stop Napster and Kazaa because they were centralized. But torrenting/piracy/file sharing is decentralized and unstoppable. Even if they shut down 1 pirate site, another opens its door. E-Gold was shut down by arresting 1 guy. Bitcoin will not be shut down because it is decentralized.

Questions for you:
    - Do you think Seals will be shut down?
    - Do you think I should sell my bitcoins?
    - Would you be against US facing poker sites offering bitcoin deposits/withdraws?
    - if a poker site like Merge, Bovada, or ACR offered bitcoin withdraws in less than a day, would you continue to wait months for wires/checks/WU or would you get bitcoins?
    - do you realize that if i sent you $1000 worth of bitcoins, you could nearly instantly convert them to USD if you so hate bitcoin?
    - How much money would you like to bet on government shutting down bitcoin?
    - do you think cryptocurrencies are a fad?

Cryptocurrency is the next evolution in money. Bitcoin is to dollars what email is to snail mail. Bitcoin is currently the gold of cryptocurrencies. It is entirely possible that a new cryptocurrency emerges and surpasses bitcoin. That would be more likely than government "shutting down" bitcoin. And there are many other cryptocurrencies already. Druff, I honestly wonder if you are really against bitcoin. Perhaps you don't have enough understanding of how bitcoin really works, or perhaps it has to do with the Micon split. But it makes no sense to me that somebody like you is against bitcoin. You're a poker player that lived thru Black Friday who is definitely computer literate. The points you make against bitcoin are so baseless and not on par with the Druff I thought I knew. The advantages of bitcoin should be apparent to any intelligent person, but especially to poker players like you.
    Last edited by SilkRoad; 01-20-2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: formatting

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    My prediction about bitcoins is that they will go largely unhindered by the US government until some big news story occurs where bitcoins are involved.

Such news stories could be about:

- Kids with drug addictions that were facilitated by drug purchases on Silk Road

- Guns purchased on Silk Road that were used to commit some heinous crime

- Bitcoins being used to allow terrorists to move money into the US to either commit a terrorist act or attempt to commit one

At that point, the public will be all up in arms about bitcoins, and the US government will move to stop them. At that point, bitcoin values will crash and they will be worth pennies on the dollar.

LOL @ anyone who feels that the US government "can't stop" bitcoins. Bitcoin values are market-dependent. A serious action against them by the US government will erode their value by a huge factor, to where they are no longer worth using anymore.
    a government move against bitcoin would be like the UK government banning Pirate Bay. UK Pirate Bay traffic doubled in a couple weeks following the block.

i actually hope the government "bans bitcoins" because it'll make the price go up. people will keep gambling, buying drugs, and evading taxes with bitcoins.

a war on bitcoins would be even more of a failure than the war on drugs.

you can already buy drugs and guns with dollars, and terrorism has been a problem since before bitcoins. going after bitcoin for that reason would be like a cop catching somebody speeding on the highway and then shutting down Toyota cuz the guy was driving a Prius.

Load Metric
    its not like gov doesnt know about bitcoin: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7573T320110608

also, a bitcoin bank in France is completely legal: http://www.zdnet.com/bitcoin-exchang...nk-7000008533/

Load Metric
    Jesus, go spew that shit at Micon. Bitcoins are for nerds, faggots, and gimps. Micon is a nerdy gimp. Which combination are you? I'm gonna go with a nerdy, faggy, gimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    #3 – No Inflation

Inflation is the great wealth tax, the invisible arm of government that can reach into your pocket and steal any day or night, without your direct knowledge, simply by devaluing the currency. You may feel you’re protected by investing in “hard assets” such as gold, but in reality, those assets are going to be taxed relative to the base monetary unit, which is usually being debased. In other words, although the gold price may keep up with inflation, you are forced to pay a phantom capital gains on it — so it doesn’t really keep up, and that’s not even taking into account storage fees.
    Inflation is at historically low levels. Over the past 20 years, inflation has averaged less than 2.5% per year. Between 1917 and 1920, it was double digits, peaking above 20% right before the Great Depression. That's way worse than the late 70s. And this was back when we were on the Gold Standard, which Libertarians want to return to for its supposed stability.

I will gladly stick with US Dollars steadily losing 2.5% of their value every year over buying bitcoins that could easily lose 10+% of their value while I sleep one night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Inflation is at historically low levels. Over the past 20 years, inflation has averaged less than 2.5% per year.
    that's according to the governments numbers you fucking idiot. true inflation is much higher than the rigged inflation numbers the government publishes.

I will gladly stick with US Dollars steadily losing 2.5% of their value every year over buying bitcoins that could easily lose 10+% of their value while I sleep one night.
    you clearly enjoy getting fucked in the ass.

Load Metric
    that's according to the governments numbers you fucking idiot. true inflation is much higher than the rigged inflation numbers the government publishes.
    Yet the prices of cars and other durable goods have been going up about 2.5% per year.

One possibility is that the hundreds of large companies are in it with the government and volunteered to make less and less profit to keep up the charade, and the thousands of people involved have kept this completely secret.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm starting to take interest\believe in bitcoins

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They could easily not only lose way more then that but fall to next to nothing.

Someone should try to find a loophole to create some currency that isn't based off a market that stays the same while being legal or at least until it's declared that it isn't. I don't know if I personally would use it but I'd probably feel better about it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    My prediction about bitcoins is that they will go largely unhindered by the US government until some big news story occurs where bitcoins are involved.

Such news stories could be about:

- Kids with drug addictions that were facilitated by drug purchases on Silk Road

- Guns purchased on Silk Road that were used to commit some heinous crime

- Bitcoins being used to allow terrorists to move money into the US to either commit a terrorist act or attempt to commit one

At that point, the public will be all up in arms about bitcoins, and the US government will move to stop them. At that point, bitcoin values will crash and they will be worth pennies on the dollar.

LOL @ anyone who feels that the US government "can't stop" bitcoins. Bitcoin values are market-dependent. A serious action against them by the US government will erode their value by a huge factor, to where they are no longer worth using anymore.
    a government move against bitcoin would be like the UK government banning Pirate Bay. UK Pirate Bay traffic doubled in a couple weeks following the block.

i actually hope the government "bans bitcoins" because it'll make the price go up. people will keep gambling, buying drugs, and evading taxes with bitcoins.

a war on bitcoins would be even more of a failure than the war on drugs.

you can already buy drugs and guns with dollars, and terrorism has been a problem since before bitcoins. going after bitcoin for that reason would be like a cop catching somebody speeding on the highway and then shutting down Toyota cuz the guy was driving a Prius.
    you act as if by opening another form of currency that is private and secure that there isn't all of a sudden more people willing to spend more money on drugs which support dangerous gangs such as zetas, traids, gulf, and so on.

why don't you do us all a favor and hang yourself.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    you act as if by opening another form of currency that is private and secure that there isn't all of a sudden more people willing to spend more money on drugs which support dangerous gangs such as zetas, traids, gulf, and so on.

please go back to watching TV.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Why is everyone's tone here so hostile?

I think this is a worthy debate topic.

I don't have time right now, but I will address everthing you wrote a bit later.

Load Metric

please go back to watching TV.
    don't have cable. lrnhowshitworks.

everything has a trail and all drugs lead to gangs.

what you think there's some hippy picking coke apples off a tree in a nice little commune in a sunny paradise?

no there's idiots out there shooting each other because it's a billion dollar industry, and providing them something like bitcoins where they can further their transactions and territory is only benefiting them.

Load Metric

what you think there's some hippy picking coke apples off a tree in a nice little commune in a sunny paradise?

no there's idiots out there shooting each other because it's a billion dollar industry, and providing them something like bitcoins where they can further their transactions and territory is only benefiting them.
    drugs exist regardless of bitcoins.

in the war on drugs, i root for the drugs.

Load Metric

i'm not talking about whether or not they exist without bitcoins. i'm talking about how they have a higher significance with anonymity, which results in more not so anonymous people dying as a result.

it's not about the war on drugs, and i never said it was. read my posts again dildo.

it's about the fact that bitcoins enables these gangs further. you do a line of coke, someone died for that line.

Banned
    Load Metric
    That argument wasn't convincing as anti-marijuana propaganda targeting 14 year olds, and it's still not convincing now. It's unfortunate for sure, but if we all really gave a shit about the moral consequences of buying certain products, we'd have to stop eating bananas, buying petrolium, anything from China, and a million other common items.

Load Metric

i'm not talking about whether or not they exist without bitcoins. i'm talking about how they have a higher significance with anonymity, which results in more not so anonymous people dying as a result.

it's not about the war on drugs, and i never said it was. read my posts again dildo.

it's about the fact that bitcoins enables these gangs further. you do a line of coke, someone died for that line.
    you are brainwashed and uninformed.

in the words of Dan Kaminsky, "bitcoins are ABSOLUTELY NOT ANONYMOUS."

i hope those gangs find their way to your house.

Load Metric

I suspect he's done more than few lines tonight.

Load Metric

you are brainwashed and uninformed.

in the words of Dan Kaminsky, "bitcoins are ABSOLUTELY NOT ANONYMOUS."

i hope those gangs find their way to your house.
    they are if you know how to use them correctly, which you obviously don't.

Thread Information