Thread: Kim Dotcom Talks About How Obama Conspired With Hollywood to Take Down Megaupload

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

Kim Dotcom Talks About How Obama Conspired With Hollywood to Take Down Megaupload

In Dotcom's telling of the story, his travails began when the Motion Picture Association of America hired the veteran former senator Chris Dodd, who used his sway over his longtime ally the vice-president, Joe Biden, to encourage a move on Megaupload. "If you connect all the dots, and you see who the operators are behind all of this, you understand the political scope," he says.

"They had a political agenda, plus they had an upcoming election, and they needed an alternative for Sopa," says Dotcom, in a reference to the ill-fated and draconian Stop Online Piracy Act.

"It would probably have looked very bleak for [Obama] to go to Hollywood and ask them to help him get re-elected when he couldn't make Sopa happen for them. So Megaupload became a plan B."
    This is a huge story and that was just a snippet:
    MORE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ternet-freedom

Banned
    Load Metric
    It's no secret that the anti-piracy lobby is very powerful and likes to grease the palms of corrupt politicians. This was very evident in the Pirate Bay trial.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't understand why people treat Kim Dotcom like some sort of hero or freedom fighter.

He isn't.

If you admire him because he's fearless, fine.

If you admire him because he is super rich and lives large, fine.

If you admire him because you loved downloading free movies, music, and software, and megaupload facilitated that for you, fine.

But this guy definitely is guilty of what the US claims -- profiting big time from online piracy.

He can't claim that megaupload was just a file sharing service. It started out that way, but it became mostly about piracy, and they intentionally turned a blind eye to it, and in fact encouraged it.

There is also a ridiculous school of thought that online piracy shouldn't be illegal.

Of course it should. It's stealing content from those that created and distribute it.

I do believe that the punishment should fit the crime in piracy cases. The $250,000 lawsuits that are occasionally slapped against casual downloaders are disgusting and shouldn't be allowed. However, guys like Kim Dotcom made huge fortunes through online piracy, so they can't cry foul when they get in trouble for it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I don't understand why people treat Kim Dotcom like some sort of hero or freedom fighter.

He isn't.

If you admire him because he's fearless, fine.

If you admire him because he is super rich and lives large, fine.

If you admire him because you loved downloading free movies, music, and software, and megaupload facilitated that for you, fine.

But this guy definitely is guilty of what the US claims -- profiting big time from online piracy.

He can't claim that megaupload was just a file sharing service. It started out that way, but it became mostly about piracy, and they intentionally turned a blind eye to it, and in fact encouraged it.

There is also a ridiculous school of thought that online piracy shouldn't be illegal.

Of course it should. It's stealing content from those that created and distribute it.

I do believe that the punishment should fit the crime in piracy cases. The $250,000 lawsuits that are occasionally slapped against casual downloaders are disgusting and shouldn't be allowed. However, guys like Kim Dotcom made huge fortunes through online piracy, so they can't cry foul when they get in trouble for it.
    All sounds well and good until you talk about the scale of how China does it and they go after the soft target (pun semi intended) in NZ. It's just pathetic. Send SWAT teams into Beijing and get back to me with the guy in NZ after.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Druff with complete common sense. A conservative being reasonable.

4Dragons with a complete lack of sanity and resembling a retard.

I'd trust Druff with a gun. 4Dragons ? lol. Only if we can send him to China on some random mission.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Druff with complete common sense. A conservative being reasonable.

4Dragons with a complete lack of sanity and resembling a retard.

I'd trust Druff with a gun. 4Dragons ? lol. Only if we can send him to China on some random mission.
    Name:  il_fullxfull.324628841.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  451.6 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

All sounds well and good until you talk about the scale of how China does it and they go after the soft target (pun semi intended) in NZ. It's just pathetic. Send SWAT teams into Beijing and get back to me with the guy in NZ after.
    The FBI had jurisdiction because Megaupload stored 25,000 terabytes of data in Virginia- which was astonishingly stupid. The government of New Zealand happily offered to assist them.

The US can and does lobby China through diplomatic channels to crack down on the rampant piracy there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    The US can and does lobby China through diplomatic channels to crack down on the rampant piracy there.
    http://www.megawatch.co/

I like how it uses the word 'mega', don't you?

Thread Information