Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn an average $7 steak into a $40 prime

Load Metric

How to turn an average $7 steak into a $40 prime

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-...me-steaks.html

This works guys - tried it tonight and its freaking amazing. If you take nothing else from any of my posts, this will make it all worthwhile. Just a tip I learned tonight - don't skimp on the amount of time you let the meat sit with the kosher salt on it, and before you cook the steaks, wash that shit REALLY thoroughly. Then dry and rub garlic on it and grill or however you choose to cook it - do not re-salt.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    this works well also. dry aging in the fridge. skip to 9 minutes in although the first half is a tutorial on steak buying if you're interested.

Load Metric
    cross posted from here:
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...690#post120690

a good steak isn't hard to make

i usually season with salt, pepper, cajun seasoning about an hour or two before cooking and coat with andrea's steak sauce about half an hour before

make sure your grill is really hot - you want those charred grill marks

and the closer to room temperature your meat is when you put in on the grill, the better char marks you'll get

when it comes off throw a little butter on top, any good steak restaurant you eat at does

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    cross posted from here:

i usually season with salt, pepper, cajun seasoning about an hour or two before cooking and coat with andrea's steak sauce about half an hour before

and the closer to room temperature your meat is when you put in on the grill, the better char marks you'll get

when it comes off throw a little butter on top, any good steak restaurant you eat at does

i'm disappoint willie. a good steak is only good if you could eat without any seasonings or add ons.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    a good steak is only good if you could eat without any seasonings or add ons.
    That's the conventional wisdom, but I find myself agreeing with it less and less. I've had some very high quality steaks that were served completely plain. They're not bad by any stretch, but they seem flat and bland. Del Friscos comes to mind.

IMO, a good amount of salt and pepper are required. Brushed butter is usually fantastic. I don't always order it, but a good cognac peppercorn sauce is amazing on a strip steak.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    cross posted from here:

i'm disappoint willie. a good steak is only good if you could eat without any seasonings or add ons.

the better the meat the less i do to it in general, and even though that was a strip steak and a lot of people love it, i'm not a fan

i just have been on an A-1 binge lately

it's been probably 5 years since i last had it with steak before i got back on the juice recently

i don't what happened but it works for now

i try not to be a food snob, i'll never win a james beard award

i just try to make super moist food that doesn't cost a fortune

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I just go to Outback for a normal steak and Morton's for a better steak. I think the worst dinner home is grilling a steak. Just like getting Spaghetti out at a restaurant is pretty stupid in reverse.

Some things are better home, some things are better out. Besides, most people at home always overcook steaks. At least in a restaurant you can send it back. I went over to a buddies house a couple months ago and he asked me how I liked my steak. I said medium rare and the fucker came out medium well. I choked it down, but you get the point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_PHA View Post
    I just go to Outback for a normal steak and Morton's for a better steak. I think the worst dinner home is grilling a steak. Just like getting Spaghetti out at a restaurant is pretty stupid in reverse.

Some things are better home, some things are better out. Besides, most people at home always overcook steaks. At least in a restaurant you can send it back. I went over to a buddies house a couple months ago and he asked me how I liked my steak. I said medium rare and the fucker came out medium well. I choked it down, but you get the point.
    i disagree completely

there a lot of good dishes i've had at a restaurant that i could not ever hope to duplicate or it would be too much of a hassle to do so...
    but it doesn't take much to make a restaurant quality steak

much easier than, say, making cannelloni from scratch

Bronze
    Load Metric

i disagree completely

there a lot of good dishes i've had at a restaurant that i could not ever hope to duplicate or it would be too much of a hassle to do so...

Most sauce at generic Italian places suck. I dunno. I just like eating steaks out. I like the event of getting the Shrimp first, then the salad, then the steak with grilled asparagus, and some wine. It's just too much of an event to get all that ready at home. I get the fact if you just want a 2 pound steak with a potato, but that is not how I like to eat. Like I said, most people fuck up steak on the grill as well.

Ironically I can just eat a huge bowl of Spaghetti and a wedge of bread and be fine.

Banned
    Load Metric

i disagree completely

Most sauce at generic Italian places suck. I dunno. I just like eating steaks out. I like the event of getting the Shrimp first, then the salad, then the steak with grilled asparagus, and some wine. It's just too much of an event to get all that ready at home. I get the fact if you just want a 2 pound steak with a potato, but that is not how I like to eat. Like I said, most people fuck up steak on the grill as well.

Ironically I can just eat a huge bowl of Spaghetti and a wedge of bread and be fine.
    I usually go mom and pop when it comes to italian and try and stay away from the corporate entities

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

I usually go mom and pop when it comes to italian and try and stay away from the corporate entities
    my two favorite italian places in st louis are massa's and charlie gitto's

an entree at massa's is $10-20, gitto's is $15-30

on the other hand, the two most expensive dinners of my life were very forgettable

your best bet is almost always the local mom and pop ethnic spots

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You guys are probably going to supermarkets to buy your steak. go to a real butcher and buy the good shit. take the steak out of the frig about 30 minutes prior to grilling. make sure that shit is patted dry as hell. little salt and pepper and a hot as hell grill you need to sear that shit good than move it to lower heat. Only eat it at the most mid rare. also let the meat rest about 10 minutes before cutting into it.

I have 2 local Italian places that make the best food ever. Everything from pasta to fish.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post

This works guys - tried it tonight and its freaking amazing. If you take nothing else from any of my posts, this will make it all worthwhile. Just a tip I learned tonight - don't skimp on the amount of time you let the meat sit with the kosher salt on it, and before you cook the steaks, wash that shit REALLY thoroughly. Then dry and rub garlic on it and grill or however you choose to cook it - do not re-salt.
    Every Chef I have heard talk about steak is never salt and pepper until ready for the grill. As the pictures shows all the moisture is being taken out of the steak. You want the steak to be moist not shoe leather. I think this is common sense the water is coming out b/c of the salt. It's like salting a slug when you were little and watching it die.

I wouldn't try this with any value steak.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Txs! Will try it l8er

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post

Every Chef I have heard talk about steak is never salt and pepper until ready for the grill. As the pictures shows all the moisture is being taken out of the steak. You want the steak to be moist not shoe leather. I think this is common sense the water is coming out b/c of the salt. It's like salting a slug when you were little and watching it die.

I wouldn't try this with any value steak.
    If you're talking about restaurant quality, dry aged Prime then your right. However with typical store bought steaks this is a great way to accelerate the dry aging process similar to how Alton Brown did in that video that was posted.

Give it a shot, I think you will be surprised.
    Last edited by tony bagadonuts; 01-15-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: because I can't seem to get your/you're right

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    after a night of boozing it up and trying to score high school chicks, my drunk friend walked into a subway in westport, ct and starting asking what's in the meat.

he was very loud and then asked if it was camel meat. the middle eastern guy behind the counter, ran out from it chasing us away w/ a knife in his hand. i almost died that night

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    after a night of boozing it up and trying to score high school chicks, my drunk friend walked into a subway in westport, ct and starting asking what's in the meat.

he was very loud and then asked if it was camel meat. the middle eastern guy behind the counter, ran out from it chasing us away w/ a knife in his hand. i almost died that night

add some gourmet popcorn and ya good to go ......

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post

Bottomset dupe?

Load Metric

remove baked potato and replace with this obv

Name:  tatertots.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  24.1 KB

Load Metric
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5746[/ATTACH

been using this for years (Weber also makes one). A little white vinegar, vegetable oil, water and this powder. Put it in a ziplock bag, with the steak. Let sit for 20 minutes.

profit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information