Thread: 2 Murder Suicides In Delaware, Same Family, Same House...

Load Metric

2 Murder Suicides In Delaware, Same Family, Same House...

This all started a year and a half ago.

I have been very close to this family for over 30 years.

Crazy how things deteriorate over time...

9/16/2011

A Brandywine Hundred woman was
    arrested Tuesday night for killing her 59-
    year-old husband on Sept. 16, police said
    Wednesday.

Donna M. Sciglitano, 60, of the 200 block
    of Beau Tree Drive in the Beau Tree
    community, was committed to Baylor
    Women's Correctional Institution on charges
    of first-degree murder.

Nino Sciglitano Sr., owner of Kip Flooring in
    Claymont, was found in the couple's home,
    dead from a gunshot wound to the head,
    according to court records. Police said
    Donna Sciglitano was found in a second-
    floor bedroom unconscious from a drug
    overdose.

Donna Sciglitano took a "deliberate
    overdose of pills" after the shooting, police
    said. She was taken to Christiana Hospital.

Donna Sciglitano allegedly told a hospital
    staff member that she bought a gun, then
    used it to shoot her husband as he slept,
    according to court records.

The couple's son told police that he arrived
    at the home with his sister about 1 p.m.
    and did not initially see anyone. He said it
    was not unusual for his mother to "stay in
    her bedroom all day and not be seen,"
    police said in court records.

He found his mother lying on the bedroom
    floor, police said. She told him that "she
    killed his father and pleaded with him not
    to call 911 because she didn't want to go
    to jail," police said in court records.

The son then went into the family room and
    found his father dead on the couch. Police
    arrived about an hour later.

Investigators found a Ruger revolver in the
    master bedroom, about five feet from
    where the wife was lying, according to court
    records. The revolver contained three live .
    38-caliber rounds and two spent rounds,
    police said. An autopsy conducted by the
    state Medical Examiner's Office confirmed
    that Nino Sciglitano Sr. died from gunshot
    wounds to his head.
    http://intimateviolencedeathnews.blo...rested-in.html

5/1/12

Two Wilmington residents were arrested early Monday morning at the Homewood Suites Hotel on drug and weapons charges.

The Delaware State Police went to the hotel on Rocky Run Parkway just before 3 a.m. to investigate a reported disturbance in one of the rooms.

Officers say they encountered Nino Sciglitano, 30, and during a pat down they found a 9 millimeter handgun in the pocket of his jacket. They also recovered approximately 1.5 grams of suspected crack cocaine in his pants pocket, according to investigators.

The troopers then spotted Suzette Tabor, 49, seated on a sofa in the room. They observed what appeared to be crack cocaine and a pipe used to smoke crack cocaine in a cigarette pack, as well as drug paraphernalia and 63 amphetamine salt tablets, said investigators.

Sciglitano and Tabor were taken into custody.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...149527325.html

And this brings us to yesterday...

A woman was killed and a man critically injured in an apparent murder-suicide attempt Wednesday in a Brandywine Hundred home where a man was killed in a similar crime in 2011.

Shortly after 4 p.m., a 911 report of shots fired sent officers and paramedics to the 200 block of Beau Tree Drive in the small neighborhood of Beau Tree, straddling the Delaware-Pennsylvania line off Ebright Road.

The 50-year-old woman, found upstairs, was pronounced dead on arrival at Christiana Hospital, New Castle County Police Cpl. John Weglarz said.

The 31-year-old man, found in the kitchen with a gunshot wound to the chest, was taken to the same hospital, but his condition was unavailable, Weglarz said.

He said there was no sign of forced entry and no suspects are sought. Police withheld official identification pending family notifications.

Neighbors identified the man who lives in the home as Nino Sciglitano Jr. and sources close to the woman identified her as Suzette Tabor, a neighbor who befriended Sciglitano after the earlier fatal shooting in the same two-story home where his family has lived for decades.

On Sept. 15, 2011, his mother, Donna Sciglitano, shot her 59-year-old husband, Nino Sr., in the head, then tried to kill herself.

When the couple’s two adult children arrived at the home, they found their father dead on a couch and their mother semiconscious upstairs from a pill overdose.

Donna Sciglitano confessed to her children that she killed their father and begged them to leave her to die, court transcripts say. They left and returned the next day, to find their mother still alive. They called an aunt and uncle before alerting police, the records say.

Donna Sciglitano, who prosecutors said later confessed to the killing, faces up to 15 years in prison at sentencing later this month. In August, she pleaded no contest to a charge of second-degree murder.

County records still list her and her husband as owners of the house.

The shock of the 2011 murder-suicide try had faded and, before Wednesday’s shooting, residents said their main talk lately was of buying cookies from neighborhood Girl Scouts.

“It’s a nice neighborhood,” said longtime resident Mike Connelly, a retired state trooper. “A lot of really nice people.”

But many on the block said the Sciglitanos mostly kept to themselves.

Suzette Tabor befriended the son who continued to live in the house after his father’s slaying.

Her husband, Tim Tabor, was visibly shaken when he learned the address where the shooting occurred from a News Journal reporter, saying he knew his wife was there. He feared she was dead because of her relationship with Sciglitano.

“I knew it when I heard the ambulance come into the neighborhood,” said Tim Tabor, her husband of 33 years. “I knew it. I knew it. I just knew it.”

He had watched the police cars from the front window of his home, in the same block as the Sciglitanos’, holding out hope that whatever had drawn the police did not involve his wife.

“I’ve been trying to call her all day to get her to come home,” he said, adding he had tried to keep her away from Nino Sciglitano.

Her heart went out to him because he was estranged from relatives after his father died and “he had no one,” Tabor said.

As his wife spent more and more time with Sciglitano, he said, “I kept watching her go down and down and down.”

Tabor knew she was emotionally fragile because the couple had endured their own tragedy. Their 14-year-old daughter, Crystal Noel, died of cancer in 1996.

As he showed photos of her – beautiful, bright-faced, smiling – on the refrigerator and nearby wall, Tabor said his wife took the loss hard.

“She had talked about killing herself after that,” he said, “but we worked through it.”

But Tabor saw her adopting Sciglitano’s self-pity, slipping into his depression, making his problems her own.

In May, she and Sciglitano were arrested together on charges of possessing crack cocaine and other drugs at a Brandywine Hundred hotel, according to News Journal archives. Sciglitano also was charged with having a concealed deadly weapon without a permit.

For a long time, his wife would just visit Sciglitano, Tabor said, but in recent weeks, her time with him increased and time at home decreased.

“She’d come home at 2 o’clock and crash, sleep, use the shower, eat and go back,” he said.

As she deteriorated, Tabor said, “lately, she had been talking crazy.” For the last few days, he said, “she hasn’t been coming home at all.”

He said, “Nino was always talking about killing himself.”

The first time he had heard Sciglitano talk of killing himself was at his father’s wake. “Joking, I’d said I would shoot myself in the head if I were going to do it, but he said, ‘No, sometimes people survive that.’ He said, ‘I’d shoot myself in the heart,’” Tabor said.

At the same reception, Sciglitano had been involved in conflicts with relatives and, because of that, had gotten a gun afterward, Tabor said.

“I know the police took his gun away from him because it wasn’t licensed,” Tabor said. “But I guess he got another one.”
    http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ling-same-home

The woman that was killed is the woman in the mug shot.
    Last edited by vegas1369; 01-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    jesus christ

Banned
    Load Metric
    Kathy Bates has really let herself go.

Banned
    Load Metric
    person on the right has jaundice?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    person on the right has jaundice?
    Don't really know anything about her accept that she is one of the ugliest women I have ever seen and also was obv Nino's crack buddy. He is/was a flaming mess.

Load Metric
    Sorry to see a family you knew so well disintegrate into this chaos. Unfortunately, this shit is so common anymore. Not the multiple murders, but suburban white people falling into skid row lives. I have a number of people that I can't give a $20 to because they are that sick. Just so much depression, and people turning into fiends. I always have like $500 in gas gift cards and food gift cards that I give to a certain few friends I know when they are particularly down and out. Violent crime and murder rates are lower than 20 years ago, but something else is going on that's almost sicker. A lot of people so unwell that death would almost be a blessing, rather than years of being slaves to ghetto drugs and eventual death anyway. Once you start circling that drain, it takes incredible resolve to pull out, and very few have any resolve left. It's a nihilistic society at this point.

Load Metric
    The husband of a woman who died in a double shooting Wednesday said it might have been one of his own guns that was used in the incident, which also left the couple’s “surrogate son” in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Tim Tabor, who lives a few doors down from the Brandywine Hundred home where his wife died – and which was the scene of a similar crime in 2011 – said police asked him to describe a rifle missing from his gun collection, specifically whether its stock was wooden, which it is.

Publicly, police on Thursday released no new details in the shooting, and an autopsy had not been completed on the 50-year-old victim, presumed but not officially identified to be Suzette Tabor.

Meanwhile, Tabor is left to wonder whether his wife of 33 years died in a murder-suicide or a suicide pact – and whether the shooter was she or 31-year-old Nino Sciglitano Jr., who lived in the home.

“I need to know if he murdered my wife, but the detectives wouldn’t tell me,” he said. “They had more questions for me than answers.”

The home, in the 200 block of Beau Tree Drive, is the same place where Sciglitano’s mother, Donna, shot Nino Sciglitano Sr. to death in 2011 and tried to take her own life with pills. She is scheduled to be sentenced for the crime Jan. 18.

Donna Sciglitano’s older son by another man, Joe, said Thursday that his reaction to a second fatal shooting in the family home is “a hard thing to express.”

“It’s hard to wrap your arms around the fact that the family that you grew up with, the home you grew up in, is essentially now a house of horrors,” said Joe, who has a different last name and agreed to be identified only by his first name.
    The family

Joe views Wednesday’s shooting as part of the dysfunction that had gripped the family, which includes Nino Sciglitano’s twin sister, Gina, who lives in Florida.

“Sadly, I’m not surprised at what happened here,” he said. “I actually anticipated an event like this. I wasn’t shocked about what happened before.”

Tim Tabor said that days before Wednesday’s shooting, he worried his wife might kill herself with his .9 mm Taurus or .22-caliber rifle – target-shooting guns unaccounted for in their home.

“She had been talking about how she ‘didn’t want to be here any more,’ ” Tabor said.

The Tabors had experienced their own family tragedy – their daughter, Crystal Noel, died of ovarian cancer at age 14 in 1996. The Sciglitano twins had been her best friends.

His wife had wanted to help Nino Sciglitano Jr., he said, because “she is a good-hearted woman.”

The Tabors also were friends of the Sciglitano parents, whose flooring business tanked in the recession, he said.

“They had severe financial problems and couldn’t pay their bills,” he said, and Donna Sciglitano had been laid off from her job at FedEx shortly before the first shooting.

Afterward, Tabor said, he and his wife befriended the twins. “We were both like surrogate parents to them, especially Nino,” he said.

But he had backed off, urging his wife to as well, as Nino Sciglitano wallowed in self-pity and drugs, Tabor said.

In fact, he and Suzette Tabor were arrested last April on drug and other charges. Suzette Tabor had gone into a drug diversion program; Nino Sciglitano was given 18 months’ probation in October.

With the autopsy results yet to come, it’s unclear whether there were drugs in Suzette Tabor’s system when she died.

Tim Tabor said he can’t help suspecting drugs. “I’m a diabetic,” he said, “and the detectives asked me if any of my needles were missing.”

He had tried to convince his wife to distance herself from their younger neighbor.

“I had told her, ‘You have a hard enough time standing on your own and you can’t carry him,’ ” he said. “I kept telling her they were bad for each other.”

Her arrest April 30, 2012, with Sciglitano was the first legal scrape for both of them, justice officials said Thursday.

He was charged with illegally carrying a concealed deadly weapon, having a firearm while committing a felony, conspiracy and possession of crack cocaine, methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia.

In an October deal, he pleaded guilty to cocaine possession and the concealed weapon, with other charges dropped.

He got 18 months’ probation, with evaluation and treatment for substance abuse and mental health, and no unlawful contact with Suzette Tabor. A convicted felon, he also was barred from having guns or ammo.

She was charged with conspiracy and the same drug counts – resolved last month on entering a Superior Court drug diversion program.

About that time, her husband said, she barely came home from Nino Sciglitano’s, and in the last few days, she didn’t at all. He called her all day Wednesday to get her to come home, but she didn’t answer.

Joe also blames his half brother’s problems on his longtime drug use, which eventually drove them apart.

“He and I have no relationship,” Joe said.

Sciglitano began abusing drugs about a decade ago, getting such drugs as Xanax, morphine lollipops and Percocet from a friend, he said.

At one point, Joe said, he pulled aside his mother and stepfather, telling them he feared his half brother was a drug addict.

That worked for a few months, he said, but suspected Nino Jr. returned to his addiction.

“Prior to my stepfather’s murder, we had a very strained relationship,” said Joe, adding he had ceased contact with his half brother and their mother. He had sporadic contact with his stepfather but kept in touch with Gina Sciglitano.

Joe said he distanced himself out of concern for his children. He felt it wasn’t healthy to expose them to his brother’s drug use or his mother’s increasingly bizarre behavior as the family’s finances worsened.

“The situation in that household was a downward spiral,” he said.

After Nino Sr.’s death, Nino Jr. seemed to blame Joe for his problems, he said.

His half brother didn’t threaten him directly, Joe said, but supposedly told friends he bought a gun, stacked mattresses in the basement, pinned Joe’s photos to them and shot at them.

Joe called that “highly disturbing.”

Although he recalls the family’s good times – Christmas, vacations, some visits to the home with his children – Joe said, “for the last year, I’ve been very cautious.”
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...=2013301110054

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    This information completely blew my mind. As a personal friend of Gina Sciglitano, I have a bit more insight to offer on this subject. It is safe to say that Gina and I dated, but was a less-than-platonic situation. As much as I was charmed by her, the actuality of it all is that we became very good companions and nothing more. Gina was very good company to have and she would often pick me up in her Toyota Celica and we would then hang out at the Barnes & Noble near her house, or watch t.v., etc. Even though it wasn't serious, she had a unique and bubbly personality that made her fun to be with. She kept her brilliance to herself and was very self deprecating. Her knowledge of proper prose regarding poetry and her fondness of Ani D'Franco would give you an impression of her very laid back bohemian personality. Gina was a very good friend to me and we got through some very hard times together as friends.
    I did meet her mother and her father, but met Nino only once for such a short period of time that I vaguely remember him. He certainly did not look like the way he looks in the mugshot. The drugs and the stress must have really took a toll on him. I believe he was living in Florida for the most part during the time Gina and I were hanging out. I got to meet him when he finally came back to PA. He drove a Silver Camaro and I remember that I liked the car.
    Gina seemed to mostly have an empty home to herself most of the time, as her family seemed to be very distant from one another. I was favored by her mother, and was respected by her dad as such that he offered me a job. Her father was a hard worker and was seldom found at home. If he wasn't working, he was usually said to be at the gym not too far away from the home, working out. Her mother seemed to be outgoing at times and liked occasional conversation. She did indeed keep herself in the master bedroom at most times. However, the master bedroom was huge and resembled a fancy efficiency apartment in it own right. I don't think anyone in general would have had to come out of that bedroom considering it had it own bathroom, mini-fridge and "living room" section with a big wall-mounted flat-screen television. Her mother was working for DHL at the time and not FedEx and when she wasn't working or at home would take a drive Atlantic City with her Cadillac. Her mom was skeptical of me at first. Over time she got used to seeing me and I succeeded in winning her favor in such a way that her mother treated us to dinner a few times.
    The family had a very nice house. Her father laid the ornate custom hardwood flooring himself. the house was decorated in the sense of Art Deco, the kitchen being the coolest place. Chessboard tiles lined the floor of the kitchen complete with black granite counter tops, and there were many vintage vending machines. I would always joke and say that I was going to take their antique "Chiclet" gum machine. The family room was adjacent to it, where Gina and I would sit on the same white leather couch as they found her father (where he also slept) to watch VH1 videos and her favorite movies. One of her favorite movies which soon became my own was "Life as a House". The irony being that her family could not have the same strong, if not quasi-happy ending as the family in the movie. They had good taste and some cool collectables but never lived in over-abundance. Their house resembled more of a museum than a family dwelling since no one was usually found in it. They weren't perfect but seemed quite normal, complete with an aging and needy dog. All things in consideration, I never witnessed anyone fighting, arguing, or shouting. The family members were simply independent from one another.
    I still can remember one instance when two family members DID come together for a shirt period of time ; Gina's dad and herself helping me to fill water jugs by the garage in efforts to cool down my overheating Trans-Am. We had a good laugh over it. In closing, I want to say that this is a sad case. Really sad. I never knew any of the details because Gina and I kinda went our own seperate ways developed other relationships just prior to this happening. I would also like to add that I knew the street very well from time spent walking the dog with her. It was a very quiet and well groomed street. I did not know the neighbors involved with Nino. I also never met the twins half-brother, and Donna's other son, Joe. I know there was tension specifically involving and surrounding Joe. I understand there was a storm brewing with the family and the faltered dynamics were multifaceted. Above all, this family like many others perished over money issues. Problems in family always exists, but the money thing was the last straw. In my experience though, this was not the family I knew. A bit-off kilter? Yes, but not hanging on by a gossamer thread which finally let loose. I cannot express the sympathy I have for this situation, and for her. She will be kept in my thoughts and prayers. Though I do not know how she must feel, the years yet to come will make a very heavy cross to bear. I wish her fortitude in strength, serenity and recovery.

Comments

badguy23: YOU PICKED THE WRONG SITE TO EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS REP!!

shortbuspoker: -1 for misspelling your user name

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by batizedbyfire View Post
    This information completely blew my mind. As a personal friend of Gina Sciglitano, I have a bit more insight to offer on this subject. It is safe to say that Gina and I dated, but was a less-than-platonic situation. As much as I was charmed by her, the actuality of it all is that we became very good companions and nothing more. Gina was very good company to have and she would often pick me up in her Toyota Celica and we would then hang out at the Barnes & Noble near her house, or watch t.v., etc. Even though it wasn't serious, she had a unique and bubbly personality that made her fun to be with. She kept her brilliance to herself and was very self deprecating. Her knowledge of proper prose regarding poetry and her fondness of Ani D'Franco would give you an impression of her very laid back bohemian personality. Gina was a very good friend to me and we got through some very hard times together as friends.
    I did meet her mother and her father, but met Nino only once for such a short period of time that I vaguely remember him. He certainly did not look like the way he looks in the mugshot. The drugs and the stress must have really took a toll on him. I believe he was living in Florida for the most part during the time Gina and I were hanging out. I got to meet him when he finally came back to PA. He drove a Silver Camaro and I remember that I liked the car.
    Gina seemed to mostly have an empty home to herself most of the time, as her family seemed to be very distant from one another. I was favored by her mother, and was respected by her dad as such that he offered me a job. Her father was a hard worker and was seldom found at home. If he wasn't working, he was usually said to be at the gym not too far away from the home, working out. Her mother seemed to be outgoing at times and liked occasional conversation. She did indeed keep herself in the master bedroom at most times. However, the master bedroom was huge and resembled a fancy efficiency apartment in it own right. I don't think anyone in general would have had to come out of that bedroom considering it had it own bathroom, mini-fridge and "living room" section with a big wall-mounted flat-screen television. Her mother was working for DHL at the time and not FedEx and when she wasn't working or at home would take a drive Atlantic City with her Cadillac. Her mom was skeptical of me at first. Over time she got used to seeing me and I succeeded in winning her favor in such a way that her mother treated us to dinner a few times.
    The family had a very nice house. Her father laid the ornate custom hardwood flooring himself. the house was decorated in the sense of Art Deco, the kitchen being the coolest place. Chessboard tiles lined the floor of the kitchen complete with black granite counter tops, and there were many vintage vending machines. I would always joke and say that I was going to take their antique "Chiclet" gum machine. The family room was adjacent to it, where Gina and I would sit on the same white leather couch as they found her father (where he also slept) to watch VH1 videos and her favorite movies. One of her favorite movies which soon became my own was "Life as a House". The irony being that her family could not have the same strong, if not quasi-happy ending as the family in the movie. They had good taste and some cool collectables but never lived in over-abundance. Their house resembled more of a museum than a family dwelling since no one was usually found in it. They weren't perfect but seemed quite normal, complete with an aging and needy dog. All things in consideration, I never witnessed anyone fighting, arguing, or shouting. The family members were simply independent from one another.
    I still can remember one instance when two family members DID come together for a shirt period of time ; Gina's dad and herself helping me to fill water jugs by the garage in efforts to cool down my overheating Trans-Am. We had a good laugh over it. In closing, I want to say that this is a sad case. Really sad. I never knew any of the details because Gina and I kinda went our own seperate ways developed other relationships just prior to this happening. I would also like to add that I knew the street very well from time spent walking the dog with her. It was a very quiet and well groomed street. I did not know the neighbors involved with Nino. I also never met the twins half-brother, and Donna's other son, Joe. I know there was tension specifically involving and surrounding Joe. I understand there was a storm brewing with the family and the faltered dynamics were multifaceted. Above all, this family like many others perished over money issues. Problems in family always exists, but the money thing was the last straw. In my experience though, this was not the family I knew. A bit-off kilter? Yes, but not hanging on by a gossamer thread which finally let loose. I cannot express the sympathy I have for this situation, and for her. She will be kept in my thoughts and prayers. Though I do not know how she must feel, the years yet to come will make a very heavy cross to bear. I wish her fortitude in strength, serenity and recovery.

Do you know Nick from Scranton also? Free YEB!!

Load Metric
    badguy has many alerts for murder/suicide/etc posts on PFA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    badguy has many alerts for murder/suicide/etc posts on PFA.
    He should have been around in the days of Hels.

Thread Information