Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Tips on Fighting a Citation (Traffic Ticket)?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Any Tips on Fighting a Citation (Traffic Ticket)?

So they throw up this new "No Turn on Red" sign on a main road which I travel frequently but haven't taken this particular route in a month. I know the sign is new sometime recently and I didn't notice it so I get up to the turn lane which their is like no cars within a few hundred feet and I make my right turn. All the sudden the pig must of been hiding somewhere because a little ways down the road I turned on he flashes his lights and I'm thinking this guy just wants me to get out of the way so he can go around me well that isn't the case he is pulling me over.

As he approaches me he does the whole license, registration, and proof of insurance spiel. I cooperate but ask him why he pulled me over which he then tells me I turned in a no turn on red area. I then tell the office I didn't know that was the case since it's a route I've gone hundreds of times and seen hundreds of people do the turn which I know the sign was probably just thrown up in the past month.

The bluebird takes my info then goes back to his little cop car and writes me a citation. I'm not sure of the fee but everywhere I look it's three points on my license which I haven't had any tickets in the past ten years. It pisses me off that I know the sign is rather new and that the city just wants their fucking money which I understand but do they have to throw points on your license causing any insurance hike to happen?

I'm pissed to get a ticket over something so fucking stupid especially since like I said I know the sign is new so what are my options?

When I was 19 to 22 I got three tickets and two were speeding. I went to court and fought two of the three which one time the officer didn't show up so they let me take some stupid driving improvement class where you sit their wasting four hours of your time on a Saturday morning while some dipshit ex-cop who don't even want to be there talks to the people about driving and shows some stupid traffic movies,etc...

I've never fought a ticket for anything besides speeding and yeah I know I'm in the wrong here but knowing that sign is new I'm a little pissed off this guy pulled me over. The area is not to a point where a sign like that should ever go up and when their is nobody on the fucking road at 10:30pm on a Sunday night this pig hiding out likely to trap as many people as he can in a spot like that really irritates me.

I'll call the court house tomorrow to see what I'm working with but if anyone has any advice then please share!

Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 01-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't know what state you're in, but in California and Nevada, if the cop doesn't show, you automatically WIN the case. You aren't forced into a lame traffic school program. You either got rolled/tricked or the laws in your state are different.

Through the 1990s, the best advice to beat a traffic ticket was to schedule a court date, change it at the last possible minute, and then show up on the new date. Hope the cop doesn't show. If he does, you're usually screwed. If he doesn't, you win.

However, while this can still be done, the best way to fight traffic tickets nowadays is through an easier process called Trial by Declaration. Basically, you are testifying in written form. If the cop does not respond with a written testimony of his own within 30 days, he loses. Or at least that's how it works over here. Check with your own area's court to see if this is true.

Definitely do this, as it is a complete freeroll. Some cops don't feel like putting the effort to respond to these (or they forget), and you win.

You're right, though. Traffic tickets are all about revenue and have very little to do with safety.

The funny thing is that I have had the recent experience of not being written tickets when pulled over, thanks to Benjamin. Whenever I get pulled over, I make up some bullshit story related to Benjamin being cranky, sick, tired, whatever... and the cops see the cute baby in the back and let me off with a warning. However, if you don't have a cute little child in the back, you are usually getting a ticket if you're just a dude driving alone.

Banned
    Load Metric
    m club supports you brajjers

Name:  Go-Michigan-Wolverines-true-writers-31678328-450-350.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  104.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm in Michigan. The two speeding tickets I fought over ten years ago the one the cop did show up for I was screwed but since I won the first one to some point avoiding the points and only paying $40 and four hours of my time on a Saturday morning I decided to fight the second one. I had a few things to say but basically the magistrate and cop gave looks at each other which my read was no matter what I said their was no way the ticket was getting reduced or thrown out.

It's all a revenue scheme if they want to trap people I mean whatever I have no problem paying the ticket it's just them fucking with my record and some insurance hike which pisses me off.

I should of not went to play poker after the ticket which was where I was going. My head wasn't focused and I dropped off a buyin but at least I had the discipline to not rebuy and just go home. I took the same route just to find where that sign was because I still couldn't believe there was one and sure enough he was right but I know it had to be just put up recently.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 01-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I'm in Michigan. The two speeding tickets I fought over ten years ago the one the cop did show up for I was screwed but since I won the first one to some point avoiding the points and only paying $40 and four hours of my time on a Saturday morning I decided to fight the second one. I had a few things to say but basically the magistrate and cop gave looks at each other which my read was no matter what I said their was no way the ticket was getting reduced or thrown out.

It's all a revenue scheme if they want to trap people I mean whatever I have no problem paying the ticket it's just them fucking with my record and some insurance hike which pisses me off.

I should of not went to play poker after the ticket which was where I was going. My head wasn't focused and I dropped off a buyin but at least I had the discipline to not rebuy and just go home. I took the same route just to find where that sign was because I still couldn't believe there was one and sure enough he was right but I know it had to be just put up recently.
    Clark County (Las Vegas) has a clever "out" for people who are willing to pay the ticket but don't want their record/insurance fucked up.

They allow you to very easily change moving violations to parking violations, meaning you owe the ticket value but it doesn't appear on your record.

This greatly reduces the number of tickets that are fought, and the county/city make out with extra $.

You do need to hire some cut-rate legal service to get this done, but I found one that works for $20 (LOL), so that's what I used last time I got a moving violation in Vegas.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm just a bit pissed. I'm debating hiring a law service or not they can represent me for $200 without me being present and say they can keep the points off my record since it's clean which is the what I want. I can represent myself but I'm not sure whether I want to try it or let a pro take care of it for me since ticket points stay on your insurance for 3 years so they can rape you with a rate hike compared to the actual points being on your license for only 2 years.

Load Metric
    Not 100% certain, but I believe in Massachusetts there is a court appointed police officer who represents the officer that gave the ticket. I think you'd have a hard time winning this case as ignorance of the law (a new sign in this case) is no excuse in court; the lawyer probably knows the loopholes to get it off your record.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    I'm just a bit pissed. I'm debating hiring a law service or not they can represent me for $200 without me being present and say they can keep the points off my record since it's clean which is the what I want. I can represent myself but I'm not sure whether I want to try it or let a pro take care of it for me since ticket points stay on your insurance for 3 years so they can rape you with a rate hike compared to the actual points being on your license for only 2 years.
    If its like here in WI if you hire a traffic attorney before the date its half the price. The last time I did it was a while ago but it was like $50 and $100 if past the date. Call around they all will get the same results Im sure you can find a cheaper one.

I cant believe the cops show up in some states. Here they just load a room full of people they say if you plead guilty this is what you get you wait to get your name called and thats it. I forgot to register my car got it registered went in and paid like $15 court fees or something.

I'm suprised a no turn on red is a points violation. I've never had one but pretty sure its not here.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    If you have a very good driving record and have the time to go to court I would just go in and tell your story.

I have a super clean driving record, the sign was new, and I do not think it is fair to get points on my record. Judge will either probably dismiss it or have you pay a fine and no points. My mother went through a streak where she got 3 tickets after years of clean driving and each one was dismissed with no fine based on her "clean" record.

And if you have the money you can hire one of those ticket fixer lawyers. He will tell your same story to whomever he works with at the court and your case will probably be dismissed but you will have to hand him 100 or 200 bucks.

Load Metric
    Ask for a jury trial.. I law professor that taught one of my classes said that if you want to get out of a ticket that will work. He told the class that the judge will keep bouncing you back and forth to the traffic division until they get tired and dismiss the case. The reasoning is it cost so much for a jury to be seated and the judge has to account for all the money for his court. It might be worth a shot but contact a lawyer to see if it is possible in your city.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I got a few calls into some various traffic attorneys which I'm awaiting callbacks from. I suppose they probably are all busy since it's a Monday and my case is probably small potatoes to them.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm shopping around for lawyers as I think I'd rather just have one of them deal with it but I guess if I do represent myself for the informal hearing if I can't get the points off it appears I can request a formal hearing then probably hire the attorney for that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP!

Trip Report:

Finally had my day in court. I had to be there at 9:15am which is early for me but gave myself plenty of time and got there around 25 minutes before. I wait around 20 minutes or so for my name to get called. I go into this room and the cop isn't their so I'm just talking with this other deputy. He looks at my ticket and driving record to see I have no prior tickets and says "So what are wanting to do today"? I reply "I would like to get this ticket reduced and at least keep the points off my record".

The deputy looks over my record again and says "Well the officer who pulled you over is not here and we could schedule a formal hearing in front of the judge but it would not be today. Since you have no tickets we can reduce this to an impeded traffic and you won't get any points on your license". I thought for a minute but I guess the cop not showing is no guarantee of dismissal anymore so I accepted as that was the main reason I went to avoid insurance premiums going up.

I had to go into the court room in front of the judge to state I agree to the reduced ticket. While waiting your in their listening to a few other cases. This one girl owed money for whatever reason it was (I came in the room after so I missed that part) and she was crying,etc.. Once I got called up it was 90 seconds and I'm already done.

It's all a cash grab for the city and state so the $135 I provided can buy them coffee and donuts for the week. I had a write up of what I was going to say but I guess my time doing that was pointless. I also dressed nice compared to all these people since everyone had on jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and one guy had on dirty work clothes with paint all over them.

My advice to anyone who ever gets a ticket for a sign is if it's your first one go in there and try to keep the points off. Don't hire a lawyer if you have no previous traffic offenses because your wasting your money when he will get the same outcome you can on your own. Of course every state is different but exercise your right if you feel you have a chance to get it reduced.

I found out the No Turn on Red sign was originally up but taken down for construction and then put back up when they were done. The thing is the construction in this area which is a main road took 2.5 YEARS to get done! The sign was down that long and not just a few weeks or months like a typical construction area might be.

The whole time I was in court my stomach was feeling weird and I felt like I had to take a big shit. I hate that feeling but luckily it went away.

:niceblog
    :coolstorybro
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 02-25-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Load Metric
    BUMP!

Trip Report:

Finally had my day in court. I had to be there at 9:15am which is early for me but gave myself plenty of time and got there around 25 minutes before. I wait around 20 minutes or so for my name to get called. I go into this room and the cop isn't their so I'm just talking with this other deputy. He looks at my ticket and driving record to see I have no prior tickets and says "So what are wanting to do today"? I reply "I would like to get this ticket reduced and at least keep the points off my record".

The deputy looks over my record again and says "Well the officer who pulled you over is not here and we could schedule a formal hearing in front of the judge but it would not be today. Since you have no tickets we can reduce this to an impeded traffic and you won't get any points on your license". I thought for a minute but I guess the cop not showing is no guarantee of dismissal anymore so I accepted as that was the main reason I went to avoid insurance premiums going up.

I had to go into the court room in front of the judge to state I agree to the reduced ticket. While waiting your in their listening to a few other cases. This one girl owed money for whatever reason it was (I came in the room after so I missed that part) and she was crying,etc.. Once I got called up it was 90 seconds and I'm already done.

It's all a cash grab for the city and state so the $135 I provided can buy them coffee and donuts for the week. I had a write up of what I was going to say but I guess my time doing that was pointless. I also dressed nice compared to all these people since everyone had on jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and one guy had on dirty work clothes with paint all over them.

My advice to anyone who ever gets a ticket for a sign is if it's your first one go in there and try to keep the points off. Don't hire a lawyer if you have no previous traffic offenses because your wasting your money when he will get the same outcome you can on your own. Of course every state is different but exercise your right if you feel you have a chance to get it reduced.

I found out the No Turn on Red sign was originally up but taken down for construction and then put back up when they were done. The thing is the construction in this area which is a main road took 2.5 YEARS to get done! The sign was down that long and not just a few weeks or months like a typical construction area might be.

The whole time I was in court my stomach was feeling weird and I felt like I had to take a big shit. I hate that feeling but luckily it went away.

:niceblog
    :coolstorybro
    Congrats.

I've been in court a few times for traffic related offenses and the crying girls and dirty clothes guys are the norm there. The best is when you watch somebody question the police officer on the stand that has no formal training or expertise but wrote some stuff down in a notebook from a Law & Order interrogation scene.

Load Metric
    At least you didn't get any points on your license. That's the main thing.

I assume what you ended up getting is like a photo-radar ticket. I've had a few of them, no big deal.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    in Florida there are Lawyers that charge $75 and send in a guy to court daily with stacks of cases, if the cop shows up for your case they file a continuance until the cop misses your court date, sometimes it can take months but they get the job done, you pay another $75 for court costs and no points
    Cleveland and suburbs is one of the worst places to get a traffic ticket, all it is is a money making scam, Mayfield Rd in Mayfield Heights has a side street that the car trips the light, the cop sits a few feet back and trips it just as you are going under your light and when you look in your rear views mirror and its red your like sonofabitch I went thru on green, I was so mad I went back later and figured out how he did it, I fought that one but the local Judge is in cahoots with the scam
    Last edited by Rollo Tomasi; 02-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I called around the cheapest lawyer was $250 and this guy told me what would happen is he would go down there getting my ticket reduced to a no point fine. He said with a clean record this would be no problem and he had several cases in this particular courtroom which no problem.

I gave it a lot of thought and realized I should be able to get the same result as they mainly want the money for the city so what is the point of me hiring representation? After my experience this morning I was right. I could of took the plea to a lesser crime, pay the fine, get no points, and move on or request the formal hearing where the copy would have to show up. If he didn't show in that case I would maybe get it dismissed but if he does show which most of the time they do because it's double time pay then he can request no mercy on me where I would get the points regardless.

I decided to just pay the fine taking the sure guarantee of keeping the points off my record which could mean savings of like $150-200 a year for insurance premiums.

Load Metric
    I can't find the thread druff did on this ,but it worked here.

I mailed in my case like he said and thank you druff, or was that Alvin.
    (I've actually lost one by mail, but it was a red light and looking at the video I really had no case. I tried anyway.)
    Name:  ticket off.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  81.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Where I live they don't write tickets and you don't go to trial.

You just keep a little bit of money clipped to the back of your license. When you get pulled over you hand the policeman your license and he takes the money after giving you a long lecture. You say thanks and are on your way.

Actually this is great as if you don't do as I say he'll take your license and even if you do show up in court some months away you still might not get your license back as they prolly will lose it.

But whatever you do you don't give him any sh#t as the jails here are the last place you want to be. I mean they are really f#cked up.

I've already gone through this twice so I know it works here. Cost me close to $20 so far.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    Name:  ticket off.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  81.4 KB
    How long until someone tries to deposit this cheque to their bank? Yeb? badguy?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Calm down braj no tickets in last 10 years??

PBJ and a small fine, guaranteed.

They only give hard time to repeat offenders.

Thread Information