Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Shot?

Load Metric

Flu Shot?

Any of you guys get this? I've never had one, mostly because I am nervous about it. I've heard the rumors saying it makes you sick in itself and that it only protects against some influenza strains, but not all. Last thing I want to do is be injected with something that gives me flu like symptoms, even if it's only for a day. When I get it it's like I feel I am close to death.

Today I read about a nurse that refuses to get a mandatory flu shot and is now about to lose her job after 22 years because of it.

http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-r...ws-health.html

It seems there are people out there that are immune to the flu. Wish I was one of them. My father never got it in his entire life, and same for my brother. I guess there are some people out there with an anti flu gene, or just extremely lucky. That would be pretty fucked up for this nurse if she was one of those people and this hospital was trying to force this shot on her, especially if it really does make you sick.

Thoughts?

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I've had this some years and not others. A couple of the years I have had it, I have gone on to have the most terrible flu. Not as a result of the injection - just bad luck. The years I've skipped it I've been fine. So I try and avoid it.

Part of the problem is that each year the scientists try to predict the particular strains of flu that will be prevalent during the winter period, and build this in to the shot. Sometimes they get it wrong in which case the jab is useless.

I haven't had any symptoms just after the jab though.

Nurse getting sacked is a scandal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I haven't gotten sick in over 15 years and I was thinking about getting the shot cause Rite-Aid was offering 100 dollars voucher or some shit

:jew

Load Metric
    I've never had a flu shot. I don't get the flu very often either. When I do get it, it's not bad and doesn't last long. Could be just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    I haven't gotten sick in over 15 years and I was thinking about getting the shot cause Rite-Aid was offering 100 dollars voucher or some shit

:jew
    even better than that you can collect the coupon book even without the shot.

"No purchase required for coupon book."
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Any of you guys get this? I've never had one, mostly because I am nervous about it. I've heard the rumors saying it makes you sick in itself and that it only protects against some influenza strains, but not all. Last thing I want to do is be injected with something that gives me flu like symptoms, even if it's only for a day. When I get it it's like I feel I am close to death.

Today I read about a nurse that refuses to get a mandatory flu shot and is now about to lose her job after 22 years because of it.

It seems there are people out there that are immune to the flu. Wish I was one of them. My father never got it in his entire life, and same for my brother. I guess there are some people out there with an anti flu gene, or just extremely lucky. That would be pretty fucked up for this nurse if she was one of those people and this hospital was trying to force this shot on her, especially if it really does make you sick.

Thoughts?
    I've never gotten one & never will. The bolded is a true statement & is the reason I won't get the shot. Not only does it not protect against all strains but is only good for a couple & there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of strains. What's the sense, just drink lots of orange juice & you'll be fine.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I get a flu shot every year and havent had the flu in a long, long time. It's not 100% but it greatly reduces your chances of getting the flu.

LOL at anyone who doesnt get a flu shot, it's a no brainer.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    4 for 4 not getting sick

Load Metric
    Flu shots for the very old or very immune deficient people maybe. The healthy public doesn't need it. Big pharma is yanking your wallets.

Load Metric
    The best way to not get sick is to have the mindset "I'm not going to get sick".
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

Load Metric

Thoughts?
    I haven't gotten the flu since I was 19 and have never had a flu shot. Dunno if that helps you at all, but from my perspective

#1 I don't trust the government for shit, I remember getting tetanus boosters and that's fucking it. What's in that vial? You don't know...fuck that.

#2 I don't like the idea of injecting dead viruses into my body for any reason whatsoever. Immunity does not work that way, on paper it can be justified but the human body is far too complex to be so easily fooled. Get sick, develop immunity, don't get sick, you might at some point -GET SICK- I mean what's the mystery? WHy the need to try and thwart mother fucking nature and human biology?

#3 There seems to be some trend toward mandatory things in the interest of public good, one of the biggest being flu shots. Force people to get injections with mystery goo on the premise lives will be saved as the flu will be largely prevented. The logic only works if it can be proven that people who do not get the shots get sick, and I will be damned if I do anything to help that movement. If you get flu shots, you help further that sadistic cause. Once big brother can legally jam a needle in your body and you can't do shit to stop him, we are all fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

Thoughts?
    I haven't gotten the flu since I was 19 and have never had a flu shot. Dunno if that helps you at all, but from my perspective

#1 I don't trust the government for shit, I remember getting tetanus boosters and that's fucking it. What's in that vial? You don't know...fuck that.

#2 I don't like the idea of injecting dead viruses into my body for any reason whatsoever. Immunity does not work that way, on paper it can be justified but the human body is far too complex to be so easily fooled. Get sick, develop immunity, don't get sick, you might at some point -GET SICK- I mean what's the mystery? WHy the need to try and thwart mother fucking nature and human biology?

#3 There seems to be some trend toward mandatory things in the interest of public good, one of the biggest being flu shots. Force people to get injections with mystery goo on the premise lives will be saved as the flu will be largely prevented. The logic only works if it can be proven that people who do not get the shots get sick, and I will be damned if I do anything to help that movement. If you get flu shots, you help further that sadistic cause. Once big brother can legally jam a needle in your body and you can't do shit to stop him, we are all fucked.
    1. The government is the only reason you're still alive. They feed you, and probably clothe you. So you may wanna cut them some slack considering they are basically your parents.

2. That is EXACTLY how immunity works. All the worlds scientists and doctors disagree with you. Hmmmm, 408 or the entire scientific and medical communities? Tough one.

3. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you don't want a shot, don't get one. If your employer requires it, which most health care facilities do, you can either get it or be fired. It's your own choice. You aren't forced to do shit. Not sure why workers think employers can't have rules and standards.

4. Got that $50 for Vegas yet?

5. You're a fucking idiot.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    the last time I got a flu shot, over 10 years ago, I got the flu within days.

Im just going to roll the bones and hope I dont get sick, but if I do, its a quick 5 pound weight loss plan.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    the last time I got a flu shot, over 10 years ago, I got the flu within days.

Im just going to roll the bones and hope I dont get sick, but if I do, its a quick 5 pound weight loss plan.
    That's the effect of fever you are talking about. Interestingly enough I have taken a fat burner that basically mimics the effect of fever on the body and it cuts about a pound of bodyfat every single day you take it. I find things like that fascinating, to you boring but whatever.
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post

1. The government is the only reason you're still alive. They feed you, and probably clothe you. So you may wanna cut them some slack considering they are basically your parents.

2. That is EXACTLY how immunity works. All the worlds scientists and doctors disagree with you. Hmmmm, 408 or the entire scientific and medical communities? Tough one.

3. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you don't want a shot, don't get one. If your employer requires it, which most health care facilities do, you can either get it or be fired. It's your own choice. You aren't forced to do shit. Not sure why workers think employers can't have rules and standards.

4. Got that $50 for Vegas yet?

5. You're a fucking idiot.
    I haven't skimmed read or really even glanced at a post of yours in weeks dude. get a clue, get a life, do something with your abundant free time.

Go join IST at skatzpoker.com they have been trying to get you to join up over there and IST being a club house for little children like you who hide their identity, IST is like a club house where everyone is each others brother, you all troll people on the internet, never sharing anything about yourselves, who you are where yo live what your name is etc. You belong in IST bro, it was actually made for....people like you. (term "people" used very loosely as you may in fact be another Sonatine dupe I have no evidence to the contrary)

goodbye

Load Metric
    Never had a shot for flu - never will.

If my body isn't able to fend of the flu, fuck it - something else worse will get me anyways. I hate doctors that "manage" sickness.

Load Metric
    I haven't skimmed read or really even glanced at a post of yours in weeks dude.
    Yeah. This is only about the 10th time you've replied to a post of mine in that time, but you never see them. You're so full of shit, nobody believes one fucking thing you say. You love using the term "children" like your hero scooter, yet you're the one who still receives welfare and takes advantage of his elderly neighbors.

Got that $50 for vegas yet?
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    get the flu shot every year, it's free so why not.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dad View Post
    If my body isn't able to fend of the flu, fuck it
    That's how I felt until I had the no shit FLU twice in 1999, and then I got the flu again in 02 and it turned into pneumonia. At one point with the pneumonia I truly felt that death would have been preferable.

I've gotten the flu shot ever since and have been good to go.

Not only does the flu shot help you avoid the flu, but it can prevent you from being an influenza carrier and not pass it along to someone else even if you don't get sick.

No excuse for not getting a flu shot and it's actually pretty selfish IMO. My wife still hasn't gotten hers and she works in a school which is outrageous frankly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I got it shortly before Benjamin was born because it's pretty bad when a newborn baby catches the flu.

That was my first and last flu shot.

Didn't have any bad experience with it. I just haven't gotten a flu shot since then.

I will say that I've only had the flu twice since the year 2000 (13 year period).

One of them was a really bad one in 2005, which I caught from infamous online poker player "onlinechamp" (Arturo Morgan). He wanted to meet me in person, and the idiot came down from his room at Bellagio despite feeling REALLY sick and did so. A few weeks later, he AIM'd me and asked if I got sick, and apologized.

The other one was in 2011, less than a year after getting my one and only flu shot.

A lot of people confuse colds with the flu. It is much more common to get a cold than the flu, and colds can occasionally carry severe symptoms that mimic (or exceed) those of the flu. Most colds are mild to moderate, but occasionally they can be nasty.

I have barely been sick in 2012, and when I have been, the symptoms have been very mild and it has resolved quickly. However, in the second half of 2010, I had three terrible colds that were among the worst I ever had in my life. I also had shingles during that time. I thought there might be something wrong with me, but I was just running bad, as I've been fine for the past 2 years.

Thread Information