Thread: General Norman Schwarzkopf Dead

Load Metric

General Norman Schwarzkopf Dead

(CNN) -- Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, who led allied forces to a routing of Iraq in the 1991 Persian Gulf War and became one of the nation's most celebrated military heroes of the era, died Thursday, a U.S. defense official said. He was 78.
    The death of the retired four-star Army general was confirmed by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who described Schwarzkopf as "one of the great military giants of the 20th century."

President Barack Obama called the death of Schwarzkopf a loss of an "American original."
    "From his decorated service in Vietnam to the historic liberation of Kuwait and his leadership of United States Central Command, General Schwarzkopf stood tall for the country and Army he loved," Obama said.
    "Our prayers are with the Schwarzkopf family, who tonight can know that his legacy will endure in a nation that is more secure because of his patriotic service."

Load Metric
    Odds anyone had him in a 2012 death pool? Would have to be considered a last minute miracle.

RIP, General.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Stormin' Norman's 1991 Gulf war was the first to have 24-hour coverage on TV. I remember constantly watching reports of this stuff on CNN while in my dorm at college.

He was smart never to go into politics if he felt he didn't really have what it took for that job. No reason to tarnish his celebrated name with a failed political career/attempt.

Load Metric
    Met him at the Carrolwood Wal-Mart. Nice guy. RIP.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Norman = GOD

Remember him quite well from that war. I remember watching coverage of this war when I was a freshman in High School. If I am not mistaken wasn't Wolf Blitzer reporting from the battle fields as bombs were getting dropped

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Stormin' Norman's 1991 Gulf war was the first to have 24-hour coverage on TV. I remember constantly watching reports of this stuff on CNN while in my dorm at college.

He was smart never to go into politics if he felt he didn't really have what it took for that job. No reason to tarnish his celebrated name with a failed political career/attempt.

Load Metric
    He was a great military leader and honestly I think we as a country could use more like him today. He also presented my favorite moment in all of war press conference history.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Norman = GOD

Remember him quite well from that war. I remember watching coverage of this war when I was a freshman in High School. If I am not mistaken wasn't Wolf Blitzer reporting from the battle fields as bombs were getting dropped
    This was the war that really brought 24hr news networks to prominence. The reporters went really deep into the battlefields.

I was shocked when Schwarzkopf was having a press conference and he was asked something and Schwarzkopf said "We don't know. We're watching CNN." They were relying on CNN for real time battle info instead of their officers or CIA agents.

Thread Information