Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Foods you ate when you were Young and Broke

Load Metric

Official Foods you ate when you were Young and Broke

I moved out on my own when I was 18. I remember the place I lived in was like 50 bucks less a month than I made, so I was always eating on the cheap. For those of you who went to College or moved out young you know all about this. A few things I used to eat all the time and still have in my pantry.....

Over the years I have had a run at just about every flavor of Ramen Noodle on the Market, starting with Chicken, moving to beef and having a short run at the less popular oriental. Now-a-days I am a shrimp fan. They used to be 10 for a buck, now they are 4 for a buck, but still a steal.

Another good one... I lived near a super market (ShopRite) that ran what they called a can-can sale. I was like 10 cans for $1.00 and I would load up on Delmonte Sweet Cream Corn.

Tastes good enough and it is pretty filling....

So how about it? What did you eat when you were young and broke that you now have a taste for (or can't stand anymore)?

Load Metric
    Oh shit Jasep bringing back the memories of my first attempt to leave my parents nest right after graduating high school. Worked at Best Buy and rented a shared room at a dumpy apartment. I pretty much had a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast 7 days a week. Lunch was a Cup of Noodles and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich 7 days a week. Sunday was Jack in the Box tacos- 2 for 99 cents- Not a bad deal. Monday was Kraft Macaroni and Cheese night. Tuesday was Stagg Chili night Wednesday was 39 cent McDonalds hamburgers night- Thursday was Hormel canned tamales night (mucho fiesta) Friday was Ramona bean and cheese burrito night and I always treated myself to an In and Out Double Double on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Sad but true:

+

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Sad but true:

+

Ketchup packets on saltines was in my rotation

Load Metric
    This stuff was the tits back in the day. One glass is fairly nutritious and will pretty much fill you up for 8 hours. Leaves plenty of money for Natural Light.

Load Metric
    This place was the post-bar tits while it was still in business. They were open 24/7 and had 25 cent burgers, 35 cent cheeseburgers, and 50 cent fries and this was in the late 90's

Load Metric

BOLOGNA

Load Metric
    I would eat a beef cup at the taquria. Just rice, beef, and sour cream for.75

Load Metric

and the .89 cent

Load Metric
    Hate to be a dick but I just moved out on my own (19 yrs old) and Im living off of:

and pastry/meats from dean and deluca (the ferrari of grocery stores)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Hate to be a dick but I just moved out on my own (19 yrs old) and Im living off of:

and pastry/meats from dean and deluca (the ferrari of grocery stores)

Being young and struggling is an important part of life, its a shame u don't get to experience it. I think everyone should spend a year with next to no money and having to figure it out. I definitely feel accomplished when I am eating unagi on Friday nights instead of hamburger helper.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    In college I often subsisted on breakfast cereal and a combination of

mixed with

It's better than it sounds I assure you.

I also sold my blood (plasma) for beer money in college too. After donating I needed less beer to get where I was going so it was a win-win.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post

look at this euro n-word

Load Metric
    Its funny, because Taco bell used to be (late 80s, early 90s?) very cheap, and much better food. Or maybe it was just that I was young...Nowadays, Taco Bell is way overpriced, and shitty horrid food.....anyway, you used to be able to get 2 bean burritos for under a dollar, or three tacos for just over a dollar. The bean burrito option was more filling (has to be over a pound of food). That, with a dine-in water (filled with soda, sad to admit) you had a damn good meal for under a dollar.

Even if it made the freaking sheets float at night......

I also partook of the standard broke-kid fare, Ramen, Canned goods, eggs and bologna, peanut butter and jelly etc.

One thing I learned in those early years, was that you could substitute some things with generic brand items, but on others.....its better to buy name-brand, or go without. Miracle whip comes to mind, as does bread and Coca-Cola. Those early struggles, and lessons afforded, have been some of the staunchest ever learned. Good luck in the future sushi kid.

Load Metric
    I still love both mac and cheese with hotdogs chopped up in it and I still love baked beans with hotdogs chopped up in it. I only use Boars Head or Hebrew National hotdogs. They tasted fucking excellent when I was 8 and they have not gotten any less excellent. I just finished eating Hebrew National hotdogs on buns with diced sweet onion and a side of green beans. An excellent bachelor skill that I still maintain is how to cook a meal while dirtying very few dishes. I put the hotdogs in my toaster oven on a foil lined tray for easy cleanup.

I still eat ramen on occasion, but it's pretty rare, like every few months. I ate frozen eggo waffles with butter and real maple syrup a few nights ago. That only dirties one plate.

I have eaten very expensive food on quite a few occasions, but I still love the hell out of really cheap stuff like that.

Load Metric
    Hot Dogs is one of the only foods I have never been able to skimp on, the hands down king is Hummel... I think you can only buy them in CT still, Barry I will ship you a pack of them for comparison sake if you like.

Now that I am thinking about this topic another favorite of mine was tang breakfast drink. I don't remember the exact price but it must have been pretty cheap because I always had it...

I also almost always had these in my cupboard

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    Hot Dogs is one of the only foods I have never been able to skimp on, the hands down king is Hummel... I think you can only buy them in CT still, Barry I will ship you a pack of them for comparison sake if you like.

Now that I am thinking about this topic another favorite of mine was tang breakfast drink. I don't remember the exact price but it must have been pretty cheap because I always had it...

I also almost always had these in my cupboard

I totally forgot that I always had one of these in my cupboard at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    I still love both mac and cheese with hotdogs chopped up in it and I still love baked beans with hotdogs chopped up in it. I only use Boars Head or Hebrew National hotdogs. They tasted fucking excellent when I was 8 and they have not gotten any less excellent. I just finished eating Hebrew National hotdogs on buns with diced sweet onion and a side of green beans. An excellent bachelor skill that I still maintain is how to cook a meal while dirtying very few dishes. I put the hotdogs in my toaster oven on a foil lined tray for easy cleanup.

I still eat ramen on occasion, but it's pretty rare, like every few months. I ate frozen eggo waffles with butter and real maple syrup a few nights ago. That only dirties one plate.

I have eaten very expensive food on quite a few occasions, but I still love the hell out of really cheap stuff like that.
    welcome home B

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

Balling out of control with prepackaged california rolls?

You and your fake crab can GTFO

Thread Information