Thread: Chicago jail escape from 20 stories up.....with bedsheets.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Chicago jail escape from 20 stories up.....with bedsheets.

This might be one of the greatest escapes of all time. If anyone goes to the top of a 20 story building and looks down you will see why. How crazy do you have to be to climb out a window 20 stories in the fucking air, and scale the entire height with nothing but bedsheets tied together and one wrong move turns you into human soup on the concrete below? Not only that the physical requirements to make it all the way down are pretty crazy, you better have some serious upper body strength to hang on the entire way. Un fucking real!!

I hope they never catch these fuckers, they have balls bigger than damn near anyone walking the earth today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2323676.html

CHICAGO — Two bank robbers pulled off a daring escape from downtown Chicago's high-rise jail Tuesday by apparently scaling down about 20 stories using a makeshift rope tied to the bars in a cell window.

Police helicopters and canine units swarmed the area, but not until more than three hours after Joseph "Jose" Banks and Kenneth Conley went unaccounted for during a 5 a.m. headcount, U.S. Marshal's Service spokeswoman Belkis Cantor said.

Both men were still at large late Tuesday night.

Investigators found a broken window in the men's cell, where window bars were found inside a mattress, according to an FBI affidavit filed late Tuesday. Fake metal bars also were found in the men's cell, a rope was tied to a window bar, and each man's bed was stuffed with clothing and sheets to resemble a body, the affidavit said.

It appeared to illustrate a meticulously planned escape from the 27-story facility that came a week after Banks made a courtroom vow of retribution. Both men are facing hefty prison sentences, and the FBI said they should be considered armed and dangerous.

SWAT teams stormed at least one home in Tinley Park, a suburb south of the city. Although neither man was found, evidence suggested that both had been at the home just hours earlier, according to the FBI.

Some schools went on lockdown after being inundated with calls from nervous parents. Mike Byrne, a superintendent in Tinley Park, said "our parents are so emotionally charged right now" because of the school shootings in Connecticut.

Hours after the escape, a rope possibly made of bed sheets could be seen dangling down the side of the Metropolitan Correctional Center. At least 200 feet long and knotted about every 6 feet, the rope was hanging from a window that was 6 feet tall but only 6 inches in diameter.

The facility is one of the only skyscraper lockups in the world, and experts say its triangular shape was meant to make it easier to guard, theoretically reducing blind spots for guards. The only other escape from the nearly 40-year-old facility occurred in the mid-1980s, Cantor said.

Exactly when Banks, 37, and Conley, 38, escaped remains unclear. Shop owners across the street from the wall the men scaled said police suddenly flooded into the area around 8:30 a.m., hours after they missed a headcount. Police initially said the men escaped sometime between 5 a.m. and 8:45 a.m.

Both men were wearing orange jumpsuits, but police believe they may have quickly changed into white T-shirts, gray sweat pants and white gym shoes. The FBI believes both men were in Tinley Park, a heavily wooded area about 25 miles south of Chicago. Authorities were scouring a local forest preserve in the afternoon.

Banks, known as the Second-Hand Bandit because he wore used clothes during his heists, was convicted last week of robbing two banks and attempting to rob two others. Authorities say he stole almost $600,000, and most of that still is missing.

During trial, he had to be restrained because he threatened to walk out of the courtroom. He acted as his own attorney and verbally sparred with the prosecutor, at times arguing that that U.S. law didn't apply to him because he was a sovereign citizen of a group that was above state and federal law.

After he was convicted by U.S. District Judge Rebecca Pallmeyer, he said he would "be seeking retribution as well as damages," the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune reported.

When the judge asked how long he needed to submit a filing, Banks replied: "No motion will be filed, but you'll hear from me."

Pallmeyer, a prominent federal judge who oversaw the corruption trial of now imprisoned former Illinois Gov. George Ryan, appeared to stick to her regular schedule Tuesday and there were no signs of extra security. Her office declined comment.

Conley pleaded guilty last October to robbing a Homewood Bank last year of nearly $4,000. Conley, who worked at the time at a suburban strip club, wore a coat and tie when he robbed the bank, and had a gun stuffed in his waistband.

Both men were being held in the Chicago lockup, which houses around 700 inmates awaiting trial in the Dirksen Federal Building a few blocks away. It is one of the only skyscraper jails in the world, said Jennifer Lucente of Chicago Architecture Foundation.

Architect Harry Weese designed the building in the mid-1970s shortly after notorious prison riots in Attica, N.Y., and was asked to design a "more humane" lockup, Lucente said. That was one reason Weese ensured each cell had a window, she said.

The brother of Hollywood director Christopher Nolan also tried to escape in 2010. Matthew Nolan, who was being held pending an extradition request, was sentenced to 14 months in jail for plotting to escape from by hiding a rope made out of bed sheets in his cell.

Load Metric
    this is the jail they escaped from

Name:  ChiPrison.jpg
Views: 8828
Size:  304.4 KB

notice the small, thin, narrow windows?.....they are 6 inches wide, and these two managed to squeeze through them. Unreal

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    WOW thats nuts.... sick part of me hopes they don't get caught.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasJim View Post
    WOW thats nuts.... sick part of me hopes they don't get caught.
    If these motherfuckers were crazy enough to dream this escape up and actually pull it off, I bet they stay out for a good minute.

Load Metric
    How crazy do you have to be to climb out a window 20 stories in the fucking air, and scale the entire height with nothing but bedsheets tied together and one wrong move turns you into human soup on the concrete below
    Not a whole lot of downside for them.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Truly "balls to the wall"

Someone had grade five math

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    this is the jail they escaped from

Name:  ChiPrison.jpg
Views: 8828
Size:  304.4 KB

notice the small, thin, narrow windows?.....they are 6 inches wide, and these two managed to squeeze through them. Unreal
    They broke through the wall (who the hell knows how and without anyone noticing). Can;t imagine anybody sqeezing through six inches. Somebody fucked up big time and is getting fired.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    How crazy do you have to be to climb out a window 20 stories in the fucking air, and scale the entire height with nothing but bedsheets tied together and one wrong move turns you into human soup on the concrete below
    Not a whole lot of downside for them.
    They were in jail for bank robbery, not a crime that carries a death sentence like a slip and fall would be from 5 stories much less 20.

I would say that is a whole lot of downside.

Load Metric
    I read about this yesterday. This has to go down as one of the greatest escapes of all time, and one of the largest fails of any American jail in history. How the Hell were they able to gather up that many sheets to put together a 200 foot rope?. That had to take up a lot of space somewhere. No idea how that could be hidden in a cell.

The funniest part of this was the guy who represented himself telling the judge "No motion will be filed, but you'll hear from me."

Fucking HOF.

Load Metric
    Agree that this is a pretty HOF story. And LOL @ a guy named Banks robbing a bank.

And Natural, I'm pretty sure they were going to be in there for a while. This wasn't a simple robbery. The guy stole over a half a million dollars.
    TRUMP 2024!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Agree that this is a pretty HOF story. And LOL @ a guy named Banks robbing a bank.

And Natural, I'm pretty sure they were going to be in there for a while. This wasn't a simple robbery. The guy stole over a half a million dollars.
    Depending on record and if any violence/guns were used they were looking at 10-15 years probably.

I am trying to find a story about the original crime but I can't locate one.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Depending on record and if any violence/guns were used they were looking at 10-15 years probably.

I am trying to find a story about the original crime but I can't locate one.
    I'd rather have a quick death than spend 10-15 years in prison. But that's just me.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They caught one of the two guys and surprisingly it was the negro.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chicago-pri...7#.UNS-G3cQba4

Thread Information